Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: STOPPED HRT  (Read 1750 times)

Bass1979

STOPPED HRT
« on: November 11, 2023, 09:12:12 AM »

Hi

I have wrote on here a few times now and no one has replied
Thought I would try again to see if anyone experienced the same.
I started HRT patches started with headaches intermittently but migraine type the headaches were worst day after patch change.
So a week ago I stopped the patch and every day I have had headaches worst in the morning but last all day it’s getting me down.
I spoke to the GP at the start of the week and he said my HRT has caused it but I have been off it now a week and am worse than ever
Can anyone advise if this is normal as my thoughts are running wild
I have doctors again on Monday might ask for a scan
Thanks if anyone has advice.

Bandango42

Re: STOPPED HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »

Hi

How long were you on the patches for? I used to suffer with migraines badly during ovulation, when oestrogen is at its highest.

I'm not having cycles anymore so I rarely get them but it could be a sign of high oestrogen. That would also explain why yours were worse the day after patch change. Maybe your levels are still high after a week and they need time to settle down.

Hopefully someone else will be along with some advice. Have you tried taking triptans for the pain? They are the only thing that work for me, you can get them on prescription or from boots if you fill out a questionnaire xx

CeCe

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 09:31:15 AM »

Hello,

When I was on HRT, I had bad migraines at ovulation when my own oestrogen level was at its highest, and also a migraine from progesterone withdrawal, so I was prescribed progesterone continuously and it sorted the migraine issues out.

When I stopped HRT, I had the same headaches you are describing for approx 3 weeks. I stopped taking any pain relief after 2 weeks because too many painkillers can give you headaches and a few days later my headaches ceased. Are you using any pain relief?

CeCe

Bass1979

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »

Thank you both so much for replying

I was only on the HRT for 6 weeks I kept trying to continue but I was having time off work and that’s not me.

I really try not to take too much pain relief as am aware too much can make headaches worse.
Paracetamol and Ibuprofen were not doing anything so I moved on to solfodine max which tax’s the edge off slightly.
I think I need to try what u suggested bandango42 see if that helps.
CeCe doctor didn’t put me on progesterone because I don’t have a womb so they said I didn’t really need it.
Again thanks for the advice I was thinking my oestrogen may be a little too high, I think on Monday I might have to tell the doctor I will stay off the HRT and try an antidepressant for my low moods and anxiety as that’s the choice he gave me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 10:44:57 AM »

Sorry that your responses in other threads were missed.

However, 1 shouldn't stop medication of any type suddenly without supervision.  Who advised you to stop HRT?  Usually 1 is advised to taper or to try another type .  Which symptom did U want to ease first?  Depending on what the discussion was with your GP then he/she will have prescribed what may be the fastest route to solving the problem.  HRT is not a cure but a 'replacement' to try and help symptoms.

Keep well hydrated.  Headaches can be caused when the body is 'dry'.    There is also the bounce back effect when taking too much pain relief. Let us know how you get on?

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use, which is also something to take to the GP Appts..

Bass1979

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 11:18:03 AM »

Thank you
I did stop it my self on a Friday night spoke to the doctor Monday, I said shall I go back on the HRT Monday night his response was that’s up to you.

I broken down on the phone because he said my options were stop on her and put up with the headaches or stop the HRT and start antidepressants. Because I broke down he said right give ur self a week and have a think what you want to do and he will ring me Monday (this coming Monday)
So at the moment I just want my headaches to go
Secondly my main symptoms where generalised anxiety and panic attacks which I had never had before, I do have hot flushes which I can manage (well a bit lol) I was not sleeping
The HRT was helping with those symptoms but just giving me the worst headaches which where debilitating where I could not do much
I feel stuck at the moment of what best to do.
I think my issue is I want a quick fix and there is no quick fix.
I liked the idea of topical treatment as am not very good with oral medication don’t have the best gut

Again thanks for replying it does help reading other experiences x

CeCe

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 11:24:33 AM »

What HRT were you taking? I had an awful time with migraines etc when using the gel. I switched to a patch and everything calmed down. It took me a couple of changes in patch before I found the right one, but that was adsorption issues.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 11:31:46 AM »

He is clutching at straws.  The 1st thing to ask when you speak with the GP is for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.

Low mood, depression and anxiety can be troublesome during perimenopause - the years leading up the final period = menopause.  Which is where the diary mayB useful.  Many GPs won't look for HRT that suits the woman better than others, so reaches for the good old anti-depressant meds.  Which can help if hormones aren't thought to be the cause of the symptoms.

Another GP that needs some menopause training  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »

I can sympathise, anxiety was one of my worst symptoms and it ruins your life. I don't think you've come to the end of the road for hrt though. As suggested above you could try a different product and I'd suggest starting on a very low dose and working up if you find you're OK. Is it conti or sequi? Quite often it's the progesterone that causes problems so you could start on oestrogen only, obviously not a long term solution but will tell you where the problem lies. Finally I'd suggest a forum search as there are other threads that you may find useful. Apart from migraine you could try aura and silent aura.
Sometimes the website loses the 'unread posts' so it's worth bumping your post if you don't get any replies as it may not have been seen.

Bass1979

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2023, 10:18:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies

I was hoping my Gp would say I could try the gel as I was on the patch but he home straight to anti depressants. I need something, am hoping in the next few days my headaches/migraines stop and I can feel a bit normal from not having that pain.

I defo need something and I hope I make the right decision.
I might even ask for a female GP but as we know it’s so hard to get in to seeing a Gp these days.
Appreciated the responses x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2023, 10:50:26 PM »

It really shouldn't matter which sex a GP might be.  MayB have a look at the Surgery web-site to see whether there is a GP interested in womens' health.  There is at our surgery but she's keeping it quiet  ;).

Do ask immediately for a referral as there R waiting lists both in Private and NHS menopause clinics.  NICE guidelines state that anti-depressant medication is not the 1st line of treatment if women have obvious peri-menopausal symptoms.  Hormonal upheaval however can cause anxiety and depression to become worse and some find that HRT along side appropriate mental health support essential.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 02:53:25 AM »

Hi. It could be that your HRT dose was too high, or just the wrong brand. Some women, myself included, are just very sensitive to hrt. I ended up on 1/4 of an evorel 25 patch in the end. This did manage most of my symptoms.

I decided to come off it altogether, but had to have 2 goes at this due to the headaches when I did so.  In the end, the headaches lasted about 3 weeks, which was pretty rubbish.

I concur with CLKD's suggestion of getting better menopause advice asap, as antidepressants are not recommended as a menopause treatment now.

What patch and dose were you on? I just started cutting down my patches. When I told my GP, she was fine with this. 'What ever works for you?'  Perhaps you could cut the patch into a v small dose for now until you get a better option, or as you said, get a GP to prescribe grl, so you can start with a lower dose of that and work your way up.

Nas

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 08:01:13 AM »

Hi
Sorry to read you are suffering, continual headaches are horrid and I do sympathise.

There are many different types and doses of HRT which are available to women. As you know, there is the gel ( oestrogel and sandrena), also lenzetto spray and various tablets.

As you don’t have a womb and therefore don’t require progesterone, you can afford to trial different regimes, knowing that however you feel ( good or bad ) it will be the oestrogen causing those effects.

What strength patch were you on? Maybe start at the lowest ( 25) and see how that feels? Or as Shorty said, just use a small piece of patch at a time and build up slowly?

The gel is good in the respect of you can adjust the dose yourself because it is in a pump dispenser. You could administer half a pump at a time and monitor the effects?

Also it can take some months for the body to acclimatise to oestrogen again, if  it’s been running on empty for a while, but many side effects should subside.

Hope you can find a solution which works for you. It’s a tough old journey at times unfortunately 🌺 x

« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:04:18 AM by Nas »

Tootsie78

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »

When younger I  had really bad migraines when on pill, better on mini pill then came off that completely.
Years later tried sequi but again got bad headaches. However then went on Mirena and lenzetto - headaches/migraines much much better. Rather than 1-2 a month sometimes I can go 3-4 months without a bad one.
It seems to be just the hormonal fluctuations which vastly improved with the consistent Mirena and just lenzetto for a bit of oestrogen for my other symptoms.

Bass1979

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 11:59:34 AM »

Hi

I was on the lowest dose that’s why it’s got me down because where do I go from there.

Am day 17 post off HRT and still having daily headaches not to the point I need to take pain killers but they’re on the right side niggling my head, eye and temple.

Getting me very low.
I have a friend who is an advanced nurse practitioner and she has advice trying Amitriptyline which am going to start tonight as I have a week off work see if any improvement.

Am fighting so hard through this, thanks for the advice everyone.
Pages: [1] 2