Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Increase in menopause symptoms ten years Post Menopause  (Read 3529 times)

Bluebell

Increase in menopause symptoms ten years Post Menopause
« on: November 10, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »

Hi ladies, haven’t been on this forum for a  while.  I’m 70 next month and 10 years Post Menopausal - but my hot flushes have got worse again.
I’m having 7/8 in the day and 3/4 night-sweats.
 Last night the dreaded heart flutters started and carried on for an hour or two when I went to bed.
 Also I just can’t get to sleep some nights and other nights when I’ve fallen asleep I keep waking up.
 I get irritable legs/feet sometimes and I also get a dry mouth.

Has anyone else experienced this after all this time?

I tried HRT once but it didn’t agree with me.
 I’m now thinking of trying Serenity cream to see if it will help.
I’d love to hear if anyone this age has had an increase in symptoms after such a long time. 
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. 🙏🏼

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Increase in menopause symptoms ten years Post Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:57:35 PM »

I get to 70 in December -  :cake: 4 U ;-)

It could be that your hormones are having a flutter!  The ovaries can continue intermittently causing symptoms.

Which HRT did U try and how long ago?  Things may have improved since.

I can get your legs sorted: eat bananas, lots of - daily.  They cured my restless leg syndrome.  Potassium.  If they draw in the night I take 2 Nurofen. Some find that magnesium spray helps.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry inside and out: including mouth, skin, vagina etc..   I bought sweeties for my Aunt who complained of dry mouth .  There is also a condition which may be causing it, separate from menopause.

What's to lose if you try 'serenity' cream?  Let us know how you get on.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 05:37:54 PM »

I'm not yet post menopause but I definitely second magnesium for restless legs. Bananas help me sleep and go back to sleep, also have tryptophan. Magnesium glycinate at night is great, as is magnesium body butter - I buy the BetterYou brand. I've tried the spray too but found it made me itch.
If you are not on an anti depressant you could look into taking 5-htp at bedtime too. Or anything with valerian or passipnfloeer,  there are some lovely gentle supplements that contain both.
Also as you are over 55 your GP is likely to let you have a short course of melatonin for insomnia to help you reset.

Bluebell

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »

Thank- you ladies for replying.
I weirdly just bought a magnesium spray for my legs.
 Banana before bed sounds good to me too.
 I do take a magnesium glycinate capsule an hour before bed. At first it was like taking a sleeping tablet but not recently.

I use oestrogen pessaries for vaginal atrophy. So … since  I have dry eyes and dry mouth that’s probably the low oestrogen too. 🤷‍♀️

I was on HRT when I first started the menopause ten years ago but I felt so weird I thought never again.
They did say we can tweak it but I chickened out!
I don’t take any other medication.

I think I’ll give the Serenity 20-1 a try and I’ll definitely post up my thoughts on it.
Thanks again for replying to my post. It makes a huge difference to hear your thoughts and suggestions. 🙏🏼

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 07:57:37 PM »

Hi Bluebell although I don’t think I can help, I can empathise. I’m 71 off HRT for 7 years and I still have hot flushes and night sweats. Some days they are almost every hour during the day. Sometimes I get a really unpleasant creeping sensation under my skin. At night sometimes as I am falling asleep I wake up suddenly with a feeling of dread. Also not good sleeping patterns
Saying all this I do feel I am getting more days which are better
I use Ovestin cream once a week and I tend to have a better night’s sleep that night.
Maybe mention the dry eyes and mouth to your GP
Fingers crossed you get some relief soon.
Flutterby x

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 04:55:57 PM »

Hi Bluebell, as your symptoms  have returned why not give HRT a try again? It might work for you this time. You definitely sound as though you are lacking in Oestrogen and there's no reason to suffer night sweats and hot flushes again. I  am 70 and still on low dose conti hrt, l wouldn't be without it. It also helps vaginal dryness and irritation as well although l do top up with Ovestin when l need to. Have a word with your GP, age should not be a barrier to having hormonal help when you need it.

Bluebell

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 08:18:26 AM »

Hi Flutterby you sound the same as me. I had thought my symptoms were tapering off but I think the flushes and night-sweats are here for life.
Some nights I lie awake all night. Other nights I fall asleep only to wake not long after. I’m going to try Serenity 20-1 cream and see if it helps. If it does I’ll let you know.
I use oestrogen pessaries for vaginal atrophy and mild prolapse but they say I can still use the Serenity cream. So 🤞🏼 X

Bluebell

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 08:27:17 AM »

Hi Diamonds and Pearls thanks for replying. I’m not too keen to try HRT now. My sister and Grandmother both had breast cancer and I know nowadays that’s not a problem and there’s an HRT for everyone I don’t think I want to go through the trying to find the one for me.
I tried it years ago and felt pretty awful.
I’m going to try Serenity 20-1. If the reviews are genuine then it might help with the flushes etc. 👍🏻 X

flutterby

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 03:33:19 PM »

Hi Bluebell good luck with the Serenity and please let us know how you get on. I mentioned my continuing symptoms to my GP and she only offered the choice of 2 types of antidepressants or go to Holland and Barretts. I’m taking Mirtazapine for anxiety and insomnia anyway.
I didn’t press for HRT as the progesterone part gave me PMT symptoms (I was on sequential for 14 years)

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 11:25:53 PM »

Bluebell, l understand, but you really shouldn't have to to put up with hot flushes and night sweats, that's awful. I believe some antipressants can help those symptoms but it seems a shame to take them if you're not depressed. What you really need is estrogen, which is not present in Serenity cream, although l believe sometimes progesterone can help.
I tried Serenity cream a good while ago, when l had to come off my hrt for some tests, but l'm afraid it didn't work for me and it isn't cheap. I hope you have better luck, do report back and let us know.

Bluebell

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 05:40:35 PM »

Hi the Serenity cream 20-1 has bio identical oestrogen in it. I told them my symptoms and they suggested I try it.
I’ve read the reviews which were very positive but again who knows if they are genuine? But I’ll give it a try and hope for the best. Thanks for replying. 🙂

VioletAquarius

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 09:25:48 PM »

Acupuncture can help with sweats and flushes.

There are herbal remedies that can help menopause symptoms too, although I don't know what they are, but you could have a Google and see what comes up.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 09:45:51 PM »

Apologies Bluebell, in that case they must have changed it since l used it  as then it only contained progesterone. Do hope you get some relief from the hot flushes and night sweats.