Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Acid reflux  (Read 4668 times)

Taz2

Re: Acid reflux
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 12:31:20 AM »

I up my omeprazole for a while (under gastric teams watchful eye) when I can't drink hot drinks without my throat feeling on fire which is my particular warning sign. Some omeprazole brands are better than others I've found. Good luck with the next endoscopy. Fingers crossed for you.

Taz x

Jules

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 10:47:48 AM »

I up my omeprazole for a while (under gastric teams watchful eye) when I can't drink hot drinks without my throat feeling on fire which is my particular warning sign. Some omeprazole brands are better than others I've found. Good luck with the next endoscopy. Fingers crossed for you.

Taz x

Thankyou. I'm soooo nervous. Sweaty palms.

Penguin

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 10:55:16 AM »

Taz x

Good you'll find out what's what on same day, and hopefully in a kinder more helpful way than when a leaflet was handed to you. Is this appointment NHS or private?

Jules

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 11:11:26 AM »

Taz x

Good you'll find out what's what on same day, and hopefully in a kinder more helpful way than when a leaflet was handed to you. Is this appointment NHS or private?

NHS unfortunately but the professor I saw privately is doing it this time

Penguin

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2023, 11:17:39 AM »

Taz x

Oh glad you have someone you know and are comfortable with. Assume he knows how you were treated last time. It may be worth saying something when you arrive about how you anxious you are, and what you would like to be different. I mean for me, its even small things like when I went for my first colonoscopy I was sedated and so utterly terrified beforehand that I asked for no mask on my face until I was asleep, and someone to tell me as soon as I was in recovery that it wasn't cancer. You have nothing to lose by asking for what will make you more comfortable.

Jules

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »

Taz x

Oh glad you have someone you know and are comfortable with. Assume he knows how you were treated last time. It may be worth saying something when you arrive about how you anxious you are, and what you would like to be different. I mean for me, its even small things like when I went for my first colonoscopy I was sedated and so utterly terrified beforehand that I asked for no mask on my face until I was asleep, and someone to tell me as soon as I was in recovery that it wasn't cancer. You have nothing to lose by asking for what will make you more comfortable.

Yes I will tell them. He knows how anxious I am. I didn't have cancer when they checked in April. I've recently had bloods and a FIT test too which were normal. It's just the whole thing, it's been going on all year and in the end, I'll get the same diagnosis I'm sure so it's just prolonged it all. Depending on the outcome,  I'm going to make an appointment with a dietician for advice.

Penguin

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 11:26:40 AM »

Taz x

Yes I will tell them. He knows how anxious I am. I didn't have cancer when they checked in April. I've recently had bloods and a FIT test too which were normal. It's just the whole thing, it's been going on all year and in the end, I'll get the same diagnosis I'm sure so it's just prolonged it all. Depending on the outcome,  I'm going to make an appointment with a dietician for advice.

That's a good idea. It may help you if you feel you have some control over the situation in terms if positive steps you can take.

Jules

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »

I had my endoscopy,  quite stressful really. Diagnosis is the same as last time so I will be under surveillance and on omeprazole.  I was being sent away with a report like last time so asked to speak to the professor and felt calmer after that. I'm going to try to get control of my diet with some help. He did say that nit being overweight,  not smoking or drinking and eating healthy goes in my favour

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2023, 01:41:29 PM »

:thankyou:

Penguin

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 01:52:53 PM »

I had my endoscopy,  quite stressful really. Diagnosis is the same as last time so I will be under surveillance and on omeprazole.  I was being sent away with a report like last time so asked to speak to the professor and felt calmer after that. I'm going to try to get control of my diet with some help. He did say that nit being overweight,  not smoking or drinking and eating healthy goes in my favour

Good that you asked to speak to him and it helped. Do you take any supplements to line the esophagus? I've heard there are something things that can help like glutamine. Glad it's over for you anyway, how often is the surveillance?

Jules

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2023, 04:20:10 PM »

Good that you asked to speak to him and it helped. Do you take any supplements to line the esophagus? I've heard there are something things that can help like glutamine. Glad it's over for you anyway, how often is the surveillance?
I take glucosamine but I'll look into some extra bone protection.  I think the biopsies will determine the frequency of checks but he said 2 or 3 yearly. I'd rather have yearly, 3 doesn't seem often enough but he said that's the recommendation

Kathleen

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2023, 05:27:07 PM »

Hello Jules

It is good that you were able to speak to the Professor about your situation.

I eat a whole food plant based diet and don't suffer from acid reflux but I have no idea if the two are actually connected.
I understand however that meat and dairy put more pressure on the digestive system so a plant dominant diet may be worth trying.
Perhaps this something that a nutritionist can advise you on.

Take care..

K.

Jules

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »

Hello Jules

It is good that you were able to speak to the Professor about your situation.

I eat a whole food plant based diet and don't suffer from acid reflux but I have no idea if the two are actually connected.
I understand however that meat and dairy put more pressure on the digestive system so a plant dominant diet may be worth trying.
Perhaps this something that a nutritionist can advise you on.

Take care..

K.

I'll see what the advice is. I eat very little meat.
Pages: 1 2 [3]