Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Irregular bleeding after year on sequential HRT - Covid? Coil next?  (Read 426 times)

AM16

Hi there,
After a few months on Everol and Utrogestan, I switched to Everol Sequi and have been on HRT for almost a year. I’m 51, peri meno and have been having irregular periods for a few years. It’s kept night sweats at bay and generally I feel great. I had my first bout of Covid at the start of August and since then my periods have been haywire, sometimes 50 days apart, sometimes 10. The GP tried to fit a coil a few weeks ago thinking this would control the bleeding, but said my cervix was too closed so I would have to have it done at hospital.

I was referred for a scan due to the irregular bleeding and had that on Friday, 10 days after my last bleed. All looked fine, lining nice and thin etc, but there was a small amount of fluid above my cervix. Today I am bleeding again which I suppose is that fluid. I’m not sure now what to do - I will have a call with a gyne this week - should I go with the coil fitting in hospital (sounds major), or just stick out this bleeding and hope it settles? Has anyone else had an upheaval in periods after Covid?
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:09:24 PM by AM16 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Irregular bleeding after year on sequential HRT - Covid? Coil next?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 05:16:26 PM »

It's was reported early on when Covid-19 first struck that women were experiencing periods even when they hadn't had a bleed for months.  So it mayB that yours have gone haywire due to the Virus.  Did U test positive and for how many days?  Have you been left with a cough or symptoms? 

MayB put 'mirena coil' into the search box and make notes.  The more informed you are the better you can make decisions. 

AM16

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 05:21:19 PM »

Thanks - yes tested positive for 14 days! Felt rough for a good few weeks afterwards and that’s when I had a gap of 50 days between bleeds. I’ll do some more research!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 05:43:37 PM »

It could be covid but this a common problem in peri. Most people have irregular periods before they stop completely. Hrt doesn't control your cycles in the way bcp does so often the two cycles become out of step. If it started with covid there's a fair chance it will settle again but if you do have a mirena you're probably done with periods for good. Before you decide it might be worth checking how long it would take to get an appointment to remove if it doesn't agree with you.

AM16

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 07:54:00 PM »

Thank you - yes, great point about asking how quickly the mirena could be taken out if I didn’t get on with it.