Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Itchy, dry scalp driving me mad  (Read 2585 times)

Bandango42

Itchy, dry scalp driving me mad
« on: November 06, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »

Hi

I have recently increased my oestrogen to 100 patch from 75, about 5 weeks ago. Same time I also started on continuous utrogestan.

The last week I have developed an unbearable itchy scalp, and have noticed several dry patches too. I also itch on my body but nowhere near the extent of my head. I have changed my shampoo to E45 shampoo, invested in satin pillow cases (more for hair/skin benefits) and have been taking antihistamines most days but nothing is helping. I have done a search on here and almost all the posts suggest low oestrogen but considering I've increased mine, this doesn't make sense for me. I currently have no other symptoms of low oestrogen, the increase has relieved the return of symptoms but this scalp thing has come out of nowhere.

It's driving me insane and freaking me out, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it, get rid of it or ideas on whether it still could be low oestrogen?

Thanks xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itchy, dry scalp driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 04:47:58 PM »

It may be that your own oestrogen levels are dropping despite the HRT.  One of the main symptoms is drying of skin = itchiness.  I remember my insteps and scalp, deep in the ears and eyes being intensely troublesome.

Fedfan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 05:07:52 PM »

Just a thought my sister had a very itchy scalp, tried lots of things to ease it and it turned out she had type 2 diabetes and once on treatment for that the itching went

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 05:22:39 PM »

It may be that your own oestrogen levels are dropping despite the HRT.  One of the main symptoms is drying of skin = itchiness.  I remember my insteps and scalp, deep in the ears and eyes being intensely troublesome.

Thank you. My gp won't prescribe anymore oestrogen as I'm already on the highest patch that the NHS will dish out. Can't afford to go private so I guess I'm stuck. I know blood tests aren't reliable but I won't know if I'm low unless I have one done to check.

How did you cope with the itch, and how long did it last if you don't mind me asking?

Bandango42

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 05:23:38 PM »

Just a thought my sister had a very itchy scalp, tried lots of things to ease it and it turned out she had type 2 diabetes and once on treatment for that the itching went
Thank you for replying. That's interesting and something to keep in mind if I get no relief x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 06:50:31 PM »

It varied.  The itchy insteps would start the moment I took off my socks B4 stepping into the bath, I would wake sometimes with one ruff heel scratching the other.  Also across the area below my neck/shoulders would itch after my bath for about 20 mins.

Other diseases may present with over-all itchiness.  It shouldn't be dismissed as menopause. 

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 09:03:19 PM »

Hi Bandango
All over itching was in my top three menopause symptoms.  I didn’t know what was wrong with me.  An inept doctor prescribed me strong antihistamines, which of course did absolutely nothing, because the problem was low oestrogen! I used to go into a frenzy of scratching, and I’m not joking when I say I even itched inside my mouth.  My head and scalp, oh it was terrible.  The ONLY thing that has remedied this is HRT.  I’ve recently had my oestrogen increased, because symptoms were coming back, especially the itching, and as soon as I took more oestrogen, the itching subsided massively. I can only suggest that you discuss different types of HRT, because as I and many of us are learning, the whole HRT thing is a journey.  I’m currently trying Evorel 75 patches with utrogestan pills for three months.   So far so good.  I wish you luck.  Plenty of support from fellow hormonal messes on this forum!  ;D

Bandango42

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »

Hi funkyfrankie

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm guessing either my oestrogen levels are low or I'm not absorbing. I think it's the former. I will request a blood test to be sure and then will have to try a different delivery although I like patches so that's annoying!!

So true about trial & error, and such a pain. I stupidly thought going on to hrt would be straightforward and a miracle cure, but I guess I'm not the only one 😂

FunkyFrankie

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 02:15:31 PM »

Hi lovely
I thought that as well.   I’m now on my fourth version of HRT.  The one consistent positive is that every HRT I’ve been on has stopped the night sweats, hot flushes, itching and sudden anger.   How in God’s name did women cope before HRT?  My own darling mum, she was in the generation who were too embarrassed even to talk about what was happening to them.  It’s disgusting.  Anyway, I am sending you a virtual cuddle!

Bandango42

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 03:23:18 PM »

Well, just back from the GP and as usual a complete waste of time 🙄

Said no need for blood test because I had one in April 2022 & again in March 23, they know what my levels are (!), no increase as on top level, no point in trying something different as "I'll probably feel the same", have some sertraline for anxiety and some medicated shampoo for the itchy scalp and be on your way. This is a woman GP too.

Just have to hope that I feel better soon and stop trying to worry about everything so much. I know there are women who feel way worse than me, but it really isn't nice to not be taken seriously 😤

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 03:28:03 PM »

Well, just back from the GP and as usual a complete waste of time 🙄

Said no need for blood test because I had one in April 2022 & again in March 23, they know what my levels are (!), no increase as on top level, no point in trying something different as "I'll probably feel the same", have some sertraline for anxiety and some medicated shampoo for the itchy scalp and be on your way. This is a woman GP too.

Just have to hope that I feel better soon and stop trying to worry about everything so much. I know there are women who feel way worse than me, but it really isn't nice to not be taken seriously 😤

Hi I know you said you can't afford to go private but wondering if you could stretch to a private blood test via medi checks or similar,  that you could then take back to your GP? If you are om highest dose, you could be having issues with absorption which would surely show in a blood test?

Bandango42

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 04:21:35 PM »

Hi Penguin

That's a thought. Are they finger p***k tests? I thought they were unreliable?

I have no energy to fight my cause at the moment, I'm hoping to improve, I've not been on the 100 patch for 3 months yet so there is still time for my levels to rise. Like I said, I don't have a 'lot' of low oestrogen symptoms so maybe the gp is right? I'm guessing no woman ever feels top notch during menopause.

I think after 3 months, if I'm still itchy I will ask for a blood test from my usual gp who, even though he doesn't seem overly clued up, he has been obliging of all my previous requests when it comes to hrt/testing.

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »

Hi Penguin

That's a thought. Are they finger p***k tests? I thought they were unreliable?

I have no energy to fight my cause at the moment, I'm hoping to improve, I've not been on the 100 patch for 3 months yet so there is still time for my levels to rise. Like I said, I don't have a 'lot' of low oestrogen symptoms so maybe the gp is right? I'm guessing no woman ever feels top notch during menopause.

I think after 3 months, if I'm still itchy I will ask for a blood test from my usual gp who, even though he doesn't seem overly clued up, he has been obliging of all my previous requests when it comes to hrt/testing.

I thought the issue with finger **** tests is if you are using gel,  a patch should be okay shouldn't it? I am pretty sure you can arrange to get a venous draw done, but I will check the email for the correct company and get back to you!

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 05:19:21 PM »

Checked and this was the advice I was given by email about a month ago from a local naturopath i asked..

Medicheck will accept blood samples from local phlebotomists, please see the info below:
when you click on the "visit the clinic to get your venous blood sample taken" it will give you options for where you live.

So, you should be fine to arrange this although it may cost a bit more.

One thing I wondered is if you'd had your hair done recently. I only started getting highlights in the summer and both times since I had an incredibly itchy scalp for quite awhile after. I thought it was menopause and maybe it is, maybe its my skin now reacting to things it didn't used to. Same way as I now get allergies to things I didn't used to...

Bandango42

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 08:29:33 PM »

Penguin, how lovely of you to take the time to find that out for me ♥️

Thank you, and I will definitely check that out. It means a lot xx
Pages: [1] 2