Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Back on HRT?  (Read 399 times)

Calmity1972

• First Flush
Back on HRT?
« on: November 04, 2023, 06:58:08 PM »

Ladies,

Seeking advice and feedback here.

I was successfully on  HRT for an extended period, roughly around 4-5 years, and it truly improved my quality of life. However, my blood pressure soared with an increase in my weight, prompting medical advice to discontinue the treatment.

I embarked on a journey to shed the excess weight, which took several years, and my blood pressure stabilised. I resumed HRT for a three-month period. Yet, when I transitioned to a lower dosage of the same HRT, I experienced three months of continuous bleeding, accompanied by hair becoming brittle and excessively dry. Frustrated, I discontinued the treatment without discussing it with my GP.

Now, after six months of grappling with these issues, I am experiencing excruciating hip pain, to the point where it's severely impacting my sleep. I sought help from a physiotherapist, but I believe it was somewhat futile because the intensity of the pain seems to follow a cyclical pattern, suggesting it could be related to perimenopause. My periods are still like clockwork, and I am 52.

My GP is supportive, but they lack expertise in HRT, often asking for my input without offering clear guidance. Despite the wealth of information available on this website, I find myself unsure about what specific questions to ask or how long to persevere with treatment to reap its benefits. Initially, HRT worked well for me with minimal side effects.

I've been contemplating the possibility of using the BUPA menopause service, hoping to consult with someone who can better understand my symptoms and recommend a suitable HRT treatment. Is this a viable option? Can anyone truly listen to my symptoms and help me select the right treatment and explain why it's a good fit for me?

My priority now is to find relief for this unbearable hip (bursa) pain, as it's pushing me to the brink. While I do have other symptoms, this pain is the most distressing aspect of my current situation.

Is there anyone who has experienced a break from HRT, encountered disappointing results upon returning, and struggled to find the right balance? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Back on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:38:22 PM »

Hi Calmity

Your post got missed.

Sorry to hear about all your problems and your hip pain.

In terms of your situation - if your periods are regular as clockwork and you are only 52 then I am wondering what prompted you to start HRT when it must have been something like 6 or 7 years ago? Reason for asking is that if they are regular now, unless you are suffering from flushes and sweats (and some women do so before peri-menopause starts), then you are not strictly peri-menopausal and perhaps your symptoms have another cause?

Maybe your periods became irregular when you were in your 40's and you had peri- symptoms which HRT helped with?

HRT side effects also depend to some extent on the type of HRT.

Generally speaking the time at which HRT is best advised ie most likely to work is when peri-menopause properly starts - which is when periods start to become irregular and the cycle varies from month to month - though some women take it successfully even before peri starts ie when periods are still regular and they are in the "Late Reproductive Stage", because hormones begin to go awry in this stage.

If your pain is cyclical maybe your hormones are starting to decline and maybe your oestrogen levels were never very high perhaps  even whle ovulating, hence HRT helping you in your 40's?

Perhaps you can tell us what HRT you tried that gave you those side effects?

Well done on losing the weight and getting your blood pressure down!

Sorry to sound vague but it's difficult to work out what's going on.

Hurdity x