Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood in urine  (Read 1033 times)

Northerngirl

Blood in urine
« on: November 02, 2023, 12:07:26 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm new to this site and not even sure that I'm posting this correctly so please forgive me. I could really do with some advice and reassurance as I'm really worried at present.
My history is I'm 55 and probably postmenopausal( last period 10 yrs ago)it's taken a long time to get my hrt sorted....I'm on oestrogen and utrogestan. 3 weeks ago  I had symptoms of a uti (I've never experienced anything like this before). To cut a long story short...had a urine sample sent off ...had traces of blood and no infection found. I'm now on the 2 week urgent referral for hospital....I've got to have a cytoscopy and ct scan for kidneys. So sore down below. ..I  have used yes products  for several years now. My logical brain says it's atrophy but I'm so terrified of going to hospital for these procedures. Any advice much appreciated....sorry for being a cry baby.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Blood in urine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 12:17:50 PM »

Your logical brain is probably correct and did the GP/Nurse not suggest vaginal atrophy treatment?  I would ring and ask for a prescription ......many medics still do not understand the symptoms of VA which can mimic repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  When the appt arrives from the Hospital ring the dept and ask if it's OK to have the procedure whilst using VA treatment.

If U meet resistance: it might be suggested that you wait until after the appt.: tell the GP/Nurse that you are not able to tolerate the intense feelings ..........

Not a Cry Baby at All!  VA can be very painful; like glass; 4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there!

Let us know how you get on.  We talk about most things, including menopause ;-)

Northerngirl

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »

Thank you CLKD for your help....much appreciated as I'm a worrier at the best of times.
Nobody at either GP surgery or hospital mentioned anything to do with VA...its like their only thought is cancer.  I am grateful they're acting quickly (no dates for hospital appointments yet) but I'm so worried. Just have to get on with it I suppose  :)
I will look in to the VA treatment as I know what you mean about razor blades....it's  internal and external for me...is this normal with any of you ladies?
Will let you know what happens....just a waiting game now

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »

2 weeks referral is the usual way to proceed so not much to worry about.  If U don't get an appt get your GP Surgery to chase it.

Do ring for some atrophy treatment.  Also look at the 'yes' and 'sylc' websites, some ladies find these moisturisers useful on the outer labia region.  Usually 'vagifem' is prescribed which is a pessary inserted into the vagina nightly for 2-3 weeks, or 'ovestin' - applied via an applicator, again for 2-3 weeks initially.  Then as necessary: some need treatment every night, others manage symptoms with every 3rd and 5/6th nights.  Along with moisturisers can keep symptoms under control.

U could also ask your Surgery if there is a GP/Nurse with an interest in womens health i.e. menopause.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 01:26:51 PM »

Hi Northerngirl. I have VA and despite being on full HRT and vagifem my urine samples always show microscopic blood so I believe this must be fairly common. I have had cystoscopies and ultra sound of the kidneys as a precaution but so far it's always shown no abnormalities. The tests are not painful just a bit of discomfort from the cystoscopy.

It's good that you are being seen but I can appreciate your anxiety if it's the first time it's happened. Was your blood microscopic or could you see it in your sample?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Northerngirl

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 02:06:49 PM »

Thank you for your advice.  I already use yes products,  they help a little bit but i think I could probably use some internal oestrogen so I will look into it .
The blood was picked up by a dip test first but then I had a pinkish tinge on the tissue paper.
I've had ct scans before but never a cytoscopy so that's the one I'm worried about.  I had a hysteroscopy several years ago and found that very painful. 
Had telephone appointment with hospital this morning so I know appointments will be soon....not sure when.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 02:32:08 PM »

Blood is often seen on dip sticks.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 03:30:00 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm new to this site and not even sure that I'm posting this correctly so please forgive me. I could really do with some advice and reassurance as I'm really worried at present.
My history is I'm 55 and probably postmenopausal( last period 10 yrs ago)it's taken a long time to get my hrt sorted....I'm on oestrogen and utrogestan. 3 weeks ago  I had symptoms of a uti (I've never experienced anything like this before). To cut a long story short...had a urine sample sent off ...had traces of blood and no infection found. I'm now on the 2 week urgent referral for hospital....I've got to have a cytoscopy and ct scan for kidneys. So sore down below. ..I  have used yes products  for several years now. My logical brain says it's atrophy but I'm so terrified of going to hospital for these procedures. Any advice much appreciated....sorry for being a cry baby.
Hi Northern girl. I've had the same though mine started after a bad UTI for which I was hospitalised. I was in New York. When I got back I had more episodes of weird sensation and the doc found blood traces with no infection so I also had cystoscopy which was absolutely fine, nothing like I'd feared. The outcome was that everything was normal and that in future I had to mention I have invisible blood in my urine if I have urine tests. Looking back I was probably starting with atrophy as I'd never had a UTI in my life before.  Nobody mentions blood now, maybe it's cleared. I do remember at the time panicking because the GP mentioned having to check for cancer. They don't even realise how worrisome that comment is. Hope everything is OK.

SaraC2773

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 04:54:53 PM »

Hi
My friend had this on and off for years and had to do the 2 week urgent referral more than once.  Each time everything was absolutely fine.

Fast forward to this year after dealing with this for several years,  she finally found a lady GP who said she thought the problem all along had been down to VA.  She is now on treatment and so far so good.  On some occassions she could even see blood in her urine but it took years before a doctor actually realised the problem may be menopause related.

I'm sure you will be fine but it is good they are being thorough with you.

Northerngirl

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 05:54:10 PM »

Thank you all for your advice today. I think I'm just struggling with the fact its blood in urine....how does that happen? I can understand vaginal bleeding.  It helps that some of you have been through this.  It's not easy being a menopausal woman is it.
Also with being new to this forum can I ask how you reply to an individual message as I've not sussed it yet .....do I just click on "insert quote"

Jules

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 05:59:06 PM »

Thank you all for your advice today. I think I'm just struggling with the fact its blood in urine....how does that happen? I can understand vaginal bleeding.  It helps that some of you have been through this.  It's not easy being a menopausal woman is it.
Also with being new to this forum can I ask how you reply to an individual message as I've not sussed it yet .....do I just click on "insert quote"

Yes, just click quote. You can get blood if there's some inflammation I'm guessing. My son had blood in his, he was only 21, he was equally worried, in fact it triggered his panic attacks, it turned out to be nothing. I think we're bombarded so much with health warnings that some of us are reacting with fear of the worse case scenario with every symptom

Northerngirl

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »

Yes, just click quote. You can get blood if there's some inflammation I'm guessing. My son had blood in his, he was only 21, he was equally worried, in fact it triggered his panic attacks, it turned out to be nothing. I think we're bombarded so much with health warnings that some of us are reacting with fear of the worse case scenario with every symptom
Thanks....you're so right it's always worst case scenario first. Suppose that's a good thing really  at least they're taking it seriously

Jules

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 06:05:40 PM »

Thanks....you're so right it's always worst case scenario first. Suppose that's a good thing really  at least they're taking it seriously

It's hard not to worry. I'm going about something on my face tomorrow and thinking the worst.  Before you know, you'll have been and feel more reassured

Northerngirl

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 08:35:13 PM »

It's hard not to worry. I'm going about something on my face tomorrow and thinking the worst.  Before you know, you'll have been and feel more reassured
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow

Jules

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow

It was all ok. It's probably okay more than it's not.