Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estrogel more or less ?  (Read 394 times)

Polpringle

Estrogel more or less ?
« on: October 31, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »

I’m almost 52 and been on 3 pumps Estrogel for a while no problems but lately have been really feeling anxious/over thinking a lot/ shaky so reduced to 2 pumps and feel slightly better and not sure whether to try dropping again.
My question is has anyone found that as they get further along meno they need more or less Estrogel?

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
Re: Estrogel more or less ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »

I've wondered this too. I'm 54 and just started Oestrogel at long last after an exhausting battle with my GP.
I'm 2-3 years post meno now and two pumps was only enough for two weeks, then my body got used to it I suppose, symptoms came back, I'm on three pumps now.

It's the progesterone that is difficult for me, you don't mention it, do you take one?
If so, that is a more likely culprit imo.

Sorry I can't answer your question, I just hate to see no replies to a post!

Hurdity

Re: Estrogel more or less ?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 11:07:51 AM »

How long is a piece of string?! It depends where you are in menopause and how well you absorb it - whether you need more or less, and also if there are other issues going on. You can always continue trialling as you suggest until you find your "sweet spot" which will change as you progress along your menopause journey and as you age. Don't be tempted to keep adjusting too quickly though and give each change a few weeks for your body to settle.

In my case - I more or less used the same dose from the start of HRT in late peri at age just under 54 I think (50 mcg patch), until a few years ago when I increased slightly - actually at doc's suggestion - so now I cut down a 75 mcg to give approx 62.5 mcg. I have never had any problems with these doses.

When I changed briefly to Sandrena gel also a few years ago - the flushes came back and I wasn't prepared to do the tweaking necessary in case I upset the "balance" - because the patches have always worked, so I changed back and have stayed on them ever since (now aged 70).

All the best
Hurdity x