Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT is rarley required for ever?  (Read 1974 times)

pepperminty

HRT is rarley required for ever?
« on: October 31, 2023, 08:06:44 AM »

Hi Ladies ,

" HRT is rarely required for ever"

NOT my words but from Menopause matter article . Vaginal atrophy, achey joints, heart attack risk going up, risk of osteoporosis to name a few- don't vanish if stopping HRT.
  Also "not one that is "best""comment in the article is interesting . Correct me if I am wrong but   I thought that there is no age limit ( baring risks and benefits) and transdermal was concidered safest?  Although the risks are minmal with tablet compared with drinking and smoking etc.

LInk to article below .

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/article-hrt-safe-and-simple.php

PMxx

Minusminnie

Re: HRT is rarley required for ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »

With regards to VA who is doing the counting ? Novo Nordisk ?
I'd like to think VA is a rarity as i wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 10:00:18 AM »

It seems to have been written anonymously, which seems odd to me.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »

Oestrogen ? UK spelling

Estrogen ? US spelling

? Progestogen ?

Petra

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »

I have to say that I think I'm pretty addicted to the great sleep Utrogtestan gives me. Even if the night sweats are gone, I am going to find that really hard to give up.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 06:57:13 PM »

I have to say that I think I'm pretty addicted to the great sleep Utrogtestan gives me. Even if the night sweats are gone, I am going to find that really hard to give up.

I don't think you have to give it up. If the benefits out weigh the risks and you choose to stay on it then you should have HRT for life. Most of the medication  doctors give us on repeat are much worse for us in the long term - proton pump inhibitors for one . Every medication has some risk even aspirin.

PMXX

pepperminty

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 07:00:21 PM »

With regards to VA who is doing the counting ? Novo Nordisk ?
I'd like to think VA is a rarity as i wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Unfortunately most have it in varying degrees. Our bodies dry up . The vagina will eventually atrophy and close up without estrogen. All ladies in care homes - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy . They still haven't caught up with preventative vaginal estrogen in care homes.

PMXX

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 11:18:27 AM »

Oestrogen ? UK spelling

Estrogen ? US spelling

? Progestogen ?

Why is the "progestogen"  with ??  - is there something you are unclear about or disagree with?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 11:23:43 AM »

There is no age limit as you say pepperminty, but of course always good to re-evaluate now and again ( not that I do!!! I used to say I would revisit when I got to 70 but now I'm there - not prepared to go through what might happen when I stop and yes I am aware of the risks, especially potentially of progesterone - even bio-identical - or rather there is insufficient research for long term use in women of my age I don't think.

The recommendations as to what is "best" vary according to age and circumstance, as well as health.  Since there is a whole host of preparations on the market this gives women a great variety to choose from.

Hurdity x

joziel

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 11:29:57 AM »

I fully intend to stay on it forever. I dread having some condition which means I'd ever have to stop. I would probably attempt to exercise my right to choose and continue to take it regardless...

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »

Not a very impressive article in my opinion. 

Not all women need HRT

How does the author know?  By the time you find out, it could be too late to reverse the damage.

Ideally address any diet and lifestyle issues which may be contributing to symptoms and which can affect later health; easier said than done but important to try

All the healthy diets and lifestyles in the world would not prevent my migraines.  I need good, hard, medication.  Nothing else works.

HRT is rarely needed forever; consider when to stop

I wouldn't bet on that.  If I stopped using HRT, I would be plagued with migraines.  I suppose I might have some success if I was drugged up to the eyeballs on ADs but why would I decide to do that?

Not sure why the American spelling of oestrogen was used because they then went on to use progestogen rather than progestin.

The person who wrote the article is obviously an HRT sceptic and sounds about 20 years out of date.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »

Not sure why the American spelling of oestrogen was used because they then went on to use progestogen rather than progestin.

For information:

progestogen is any compound which has a progestogenic effect and includes both synthetic compounds and progesterone
progestin is the name given for all synthetic progestogens

Hurdity x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »

Well said MaryG, those were my thoughts exactly when I read the article!

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 01:29:00 PM »

I think there are two ways to look at the diet and lifestyle bit. Whilst it's true that no amount of 'good' lifestyle can replace oestrogen it's also true that no amount of oestrogen is going to protect someone from the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle. IMO we need both.
And I'm certainly not convinced that we only need hrt for a few years. Every time I try reduce my symptoms return.

pepperminty

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2023, 05:26:07 PM »

I think there are two ways to look at the diet and lifestyle bit. Whilst it's true that no amount of 'good' lifestyle can replace oestrogen it's also true that no amount of oestrogen is going to protect someone from the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle. IMO we need both.
And I'm certainly not convinced that we only need hrt for a few years. Every time I try reduce my symptoms return.

Indeed!  PMxx
Pages: [1] 2