Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Dr Bell suggests halving Utrogestan dose if used vaginally. Studies anyone?  (Read 996 times)

Petra

I stumbled across a YouTube Vid by Dr Sarah Bell of a couple of years ago in which, roughly at the 10'22" mark, she says if you use the vaginal route for Utrogestan you can halve the dose. I hadn't heard this before. Has anyone else heard this or know of studies that back this up? Not necessarily going to try it (am on 100mg a night), but curious. Here's a link to the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfjelYv-GZ4

laszla

I have heard of halving it in the sense of taking 100mg on alternate nights if used vaginally - I think Louise Newson and possibly others say this.
I would take into consideration how much oestrogen you're taking, eg if you're taking quite a lot you'll want to make sure you're taking enough progesterone.
I take 100 mg but occasionally skip a night - perhaps 3 times a month.

Peanut31

I take 100mg vaginally now instead of 200mg orally.

I could not cope with taking it orally, gave me terrible anxiety.

It does suit me better.

This was on the advice of Newson Health. However, I don’t use a high dosage of oestrogen, I’m currently on one pump.

Best wishes

sheila99

The BMS and the manufacturer have a different opinion to Newson and think you should stick to the full dose regardless of delivery method. Probably safe to halve it on a low dose oestrogen, not sure I'd risk it with a high dose unless you have additional scans. I haven't seen any studies, do let us know if you find any.

Petra

Many thanks for the comments sisters. I'm on 100 mg of Utro a night...in New Zealand we we don't have the gel pumps...I am on 50 mcg patch (Estradot) twice weekly. So that's moderate, not high, not low, I reckon.

I started taking Utro vaginally instead of orally about 10 days ago and I'm doing much better on it, so will stick with it: no longer getting indigestion, not feeling as knackered in the morning. And it's nice not having to worry about the timing with respect to eating.

I use estrogen cream twice weekly to combat vaginal atrophy and was thinking of maybe not taking the Utro on those two nights -- poor vagina having this capsule then that cream applicator. But maybe I'll play it safe and stick with the nightly.

I coudn't find any studies on Dr Bell's comment about being able to halve the dose with the vaginal route vs oral, so I wondered where she was getting her info.

jorainbow

I've been prescribed 200mg vaginally every other night recently but my original dose was 200mg nightly for two weeks  which made me feel absolutely horrendous. I asked to reduce it to 100mg to see if it helped but was told not an option. It seems there's a lot if conflicting info!

sheila99

I've been prescribed 200mg vaginally every other night
I have never heard of it being prescribed this way. Is this sequi or conti? If it's conti why not 100mg every night? When I forgot my (sequi,day 6) utro for a few hours I started bleeding.

jorainbow

I've been prescribed 200mg vaginally every other night
I have never heard of it being prescribed this way. Is this sequi or conti? If it's conti why not 100mg every night? When I forgot my (sequi,day 6) utro for a few hours I started bleeding.

Hi Sheila in brief, I tried lenzetto 1 spray daily plus utrogestan 200mg vaginally for the last 2 weeks. I managed 3 days and then the utrogestan side effects I get of high drowsiness and mood plummeting kicked in. As I have had past endometrial hyperplasia (last biopsy clear) the only thing they suggested was 200mg vaginally every other day but as you allude to my concern is on and off bleeding all month.

sheila99

Let us know how you get on? I'd like to know if it works. I get fatigue and interrupted sleep on it.

Sage 🍃

This article has some interesting numbers regarding the dose ratio between estradiol and progesterone. It looks like the company DARE is testing a 'new' vaginal ring that provides both hormones. Exciting news  :-*

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13697137.2023.2194526

Petra

just re-upping this post with another query, or maybe I should make a new one. But I'm getting a lot of breast tenderness now (a few weeks into taking 100mg Utrogestan vaginally instead of orally)...I'm assuming it must be because either (a) more is getting into my system or (b) less. But maybe it's something else. Any ideas? I hope it settles down as I really prefer taking it this way...