Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause, depression and Utrogestan  (Read 912 times)

juliegalles

• First Flush
Perimenopause, depression and Utrogestan
« on: October 23, 2023, 01:11:09 PM »

Hello, I was hoping someone could give me some advice about taking Utrogestan tablets when they are suffering from depression. I have recently been going through a severe episode of depression. I've had it many times before but not this bad and feel it is likely to be related to the perimenopause. I'm taking Prozac (40mg) again, and have been for about 5 weeks. And i started taking the Oestrogen gel recently. I am due to start the Utrogestan tablets later this week (day 15) but I have read there is a 1 in10 chance of depression with it and given my vulnerability right now I'm worried about putting myself at risk. At the same time I think the Oestrogen could be helping.
My GP said there's nothing to worry about, but online stats tell me otherwise! What do you think? Thanks so much, Julie x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause, depression and Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 01:25:17 PM »

Welcome.  As someone who suffered severe depression and anxiety like U I was reluctant to add anything that would rock the boat!

Hopefully someone will be along with advice about your regime.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Is your depression linked to hormonal upheaval?

juliegalles

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 01:33:01 PM »

Thanks for the message! I think the depression probably is related to hormone changes/perimenopause because I have been so unwell I haven't recognised myself at times. A few weeks ago I felt like I was losing touch with reality and having a nervous breakdown. Then I started the oestrogen gel and things have improved (compared to how they were) but this could also be the anti-depressants kicking in...

Tulip123

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 07:29:40 PM »

I had a similar experience at the start of peri and thought I was having some kind of breakdown. I was getting anger rages, paranoid thoughts, getting very distressed about things from the past that no longer mattered.

I was on sertraline for anxiety and still am.

Starting HRT helped me. I'm also on Utrogestan for 2 weeks per month and I have definitely not got worse in terms of depression. Perhaps the estrogen helps balance the risk, I am not sure. You could always try for a month and stop if you feel worse.

Also, my GP told me that you can take Utrogestan vaginally if you had certain side effects so that may be another option for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:31:28 PM by Tulip123 »

Peanut31

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 07:58:44 PM »

Hi

I started on HRT due to feeling absolutely terrible, very low and anxious and having peri menopause symptoms.

I started to feel a lot better, I’m taking the oestrogen and utrogestan tablets & testosterone.

However, I noticed a pattern emerging, whenever I took the utrogestan tablets 2 x100mcg orally,( 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off)  I would start questioning myself, being tearful and lost confidence. I ended up dreading the time to take them, and referred to them as the “devil tablets”

I spoke to my menopause clinic and they suggested taking 1 x 100mcg vaginally, as I only take a small amount of gel 1/2 -1 pump a day.
I have made a marker on the pump indicating half pump.

I feel so much better for it, I did try two vaginally but had stomach problems. I insert it with an applicator that came with some thrush medicine, and wash the applicator with hot water after each use.

However, a member put a post on when replying to a similar post, stating this is not advice given by the NHS, and the advice is two tablets taken orally unless scans are offered.

It has definitely helped me and I feel so much better, I suppose it’s all down to the individual.

Best wishes & good luck.

Denise Didi

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 07:55:44 AM »

Hi Julie
When your prone to depression, peri is a struggle and for me the progesterone was the issue so I tried various types including utrogestan which made it worse. In the end I had the mirena coil inserted as this has the lowest dose of progesterone. I still have the coil and also take venlafaxine. Proproponal is good for social short term anxiety. Been trying to reduce venlafaxine so recently started taking magnesium glycinate which has helped me sleep too.

Didi

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 08:41:49 AM »

Denise - why reduce the AD?  If U were diabetic would you consider reducing?  Sometimes the brain requires support, once 'it' feels better, stick with the regime?  Poor old brain is up there, out of sight, out of mind  ::)

I would never consider reducing my regime  which took several years to suit my mental health.

Denise Didi

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:30:27 AM »

I have been on ad's for 20 years as I took them for monthly pms and upped them over the years to cope with work related stress. I have had various counselling, cbt and act therapy and felt ready to begin the long slow process of reducing from 375mg to 150mg. I did try moving from venlafaxine to mirtazapine and had to reduce to transition but mirtazapine was making me feel too sleepy during the day.

juliegalles

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 04:07:53 PM »

HI everyone, sorry I've only just seen these replies. Thanks so much for all your help. I take fluoxetine (prozac) and proprananol. I start taking it tonight so I'm a bit nervous but I think i will just have to monitor it really closely. I had also asked the doctor if i could delay taking it for a month, just to allow my depresion to reduce a bit more, thinking it would be a very low womb cancer risk. But she said no. Has anyone had any experience of this? Thanks!

MazRia

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 09:59:20 AM »

I had a similar experience at the start of peri and thought I was having some kind of breakdown. I was getting anger rages, paranoid thoughts, getting very distressed about things from the past that no longer mattered.

I was on sertraline for anxiety and still am.

Starting HRT helped me. I'm also on Utrogestan for 2 weeks per month and I have definitely not got worse in terms of depression. Perhaps the estrogen helps balance the risk, I am not sure. You could always try for a month and stop if you feel worse.

Also, my GP told me that you can take Utrogestan vaginally if you had certain side effects so that may be another option for you.

Hi Tulip 123
Sorry to jump on this post - what you suffered from at the beginning of Peri sounds very much like me at the moment.
Have been on Sertraline for about 10 years now - gradually weaned back to 25mg a day and in recent weeks 25mg every other day. Started HRT 3 September - Utrogestan 100mg and Sandrena 500microgram gel sachets. I am hoping to be able to come off Setraline altogether and just rely on the HRT but am going through the same symptoms as you did so will have to see! Feeling worse when i am on a break from the Utrogestan, so think that is going to be trial and error..