Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New (US Member) 38 And Believe I'm Perimenopause  (Read 1859 times)

Cinnamon07

New (US Member) 38 And Believe I'm Perimenopause
« on: October 26, 2023, 05:14:21 AM »

Hello everyone

I'm here because I'm desperate for help. I'm currently out of work on medical leave because I feel physically horrible and now I'm starting to feel like I can't go on. It all started a few weeks ago at work with what I was told was a panic attack. My heart started to race and I felt like I was going to pass out and die. I was shaky and my hands were sweaty. As the weeks went on I kept having these "attacks" as well as excessive sweating and feeling over heated (I'm typically not a sweaty woman, at all) as well as sever weakness, heart palpitations, one time I woke up and immediately my heart started beating so fast and hard, my daughter had to call 911, I was told everything was fine, and that it was just an anxiety attack.

Now for the past few days I've been plagued by never ending weakness and feel like I'm going to pass out everytime I get up, or move around. I can't go on like this, my 16-year-old daughter is having to help me bathe and have taken on all the duties of caring for us, cooking, cleaning, shopping, washing, etc... my daughter is my only family and I feel horrible that this is happening to her, to us. Is this Perimenopause? My mother and virtually all the women in her family, went through menopause super early, so I figured I'm no exception. I'm also having to urinate constantly, I keep getting UTIs, my period now only last 2 days, when it used to last 5 days, and I have occasional shooting pains in my breast and private area. I was thinking that I should ask my doctor to put me on birth control pills to see if that helps. However, this scares me because I've never been on any form of birth control before. I can't find much information, because it seems as though perimenopause is not common for women in their 30s, so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 06:13:21 AM by Cinnamon07 »

Wrensong

Re: New (US Member) 38 And Believe I'm Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 07:06:42 AM »

Hello Cinnamon07  :welcomemm:  I'm sorry to know how poorly you've been feeling & yes, given other family members have had an early menopause then it does seem possible from your symptoms that you are in perimenopause.  However, some of the classic symptoms we suffer at this stage of life can also sometimes be caused by thyroid dysfunction & I would ask your doctor about both possibilities.  Those symptoms I particularly have in mind are those mentioned here
My heart started to race and I felt like I was going to pass out and die. I was shaky and my hands were sweaty. As the weeks went on I kept having these "attacks" as well as excessive sweating and feeling over heated (I'm typically not a sweaty woman, at all) as well as sever weakness, heart palpitations,
as well as the excessive urination you mention, all of which can sometimes be caused by an overactive thyroid, the scant periods too - also classic for menopause of course.  If you are losing weight that would be another pointer to overactive thyroid that might help you distinguish between that possibility & perimenopause.  I have a long term thyroid condition myself (underactive) & have experienced all the symptoms you describe during menopause.

Another possibility for the panic type episodes is blood sugar instability (which also becomes problematic for some of us during the menopause transition) so can I suggest you read up on how to stabilise that?  I'm short of time this morning but there are many threads on it on here if you'd like to do a search.

Many of us have experienced the bladder symptoms you describe, which can be due to Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause (GSM) that occurs as a result of the decline in sex hormones.  Early treatment for this in the form of low dose vaginal oestrogen replacement is very effective.  Have a good look around the site (there is a helpful site map with tab at the top of the page) & you will find lots of information about this & other classic menopause symptoms.  Here is a link to start off with:-

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php

Other members will be along soon to welcome you I'm sure & with advice of their own.  This is a great forum for info & support so you have come to the right place.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:47:47 AM by Wrensong »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:23 AM »

Morning.   :welcomemm:  I can't add much to what Wrensong has suggested. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.

Do read 'the bladder issues' thread and those relating to vaginal atrophy.  4 me it began with repeated urine infection-type symptoms - if your medical practitioner takes a urine sample it needs to go to a Lab to 'be grown' to identify whether there is/not a bug to treat.  If not, then it is likely that the loss of oestrogen as we age, is causing dryness.  All over: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, scalp, vagina ........ so VA treatment is necessary to plump up the tissues.

Let us know how you get on.  It's 10.15 a.m. here ........

Cinnamon07

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 09:36:40 AM »

Hello

Thank you so much my the reply. I'm actually gaining weight, and I had my thyroid and my blood sugar checked and both are good.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 09:42:25 AM »

Good that you've had both thyroid & blood sugar checked out & they are fine  :)  If he/she has run comprehensive bloods for you  & early menopause runs in the family it does seem more likely you are in perimenopause.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »

Welcome Cinnamon07.
Your story is definitely not an uncommon one on this forum, use the search facility here, the posts from other women going through similar will help you.
You are definitely not alone with symptoms such as yours.