Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Women to be offered preventative breast cancer drug  (Read 1291 times)

Ann B

Women to be offered preventative breast cancer drug
« on: November 07, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »

It has been mentioned a few times in the media today that women are to be offered a
 repurposed preventative breast cancer drug.  I looked online to get more information, and here it is:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2023/11/tens-of-thousands-of-women-set-to-benefit-from-repurposed-nhs-drug-to-prevent-breast-cancer/#:~:text=Anastrozole%2C%20which%20has%20been%20used,of%20breast%20cancer%20in%20England.

Further down the article, the side effects are listed:  The most common side effects of the medicine are hot flushes, feeling weak, pain/stiffness in the joints, arthritis, skin rash, nausea, headache, osteoporosis, and depression.  I think they may have missed out vaginal atrophy along with a few others.

I wonder how many will be interested in taking this AI - Anastrozole! 

suzysunday

Re: Women to be offered preventative breast cancer drug
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »

Do you mean the drug can cause those side effects? Doesn't sound so good if that's the case.

jaypo

Re: Women to be offered preventative breast cancer drug
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 01:45:07 PM »

My mum,her sister and their mum all had breast cancer,so not sure if I'll ever be offered this or not but the side effects would definitely make me think twice