Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause & Mental wellbeing  (Read 1969 times)

Magoo50

• First Flush
Perimenopause & Mental wellbeing
« on: October 25, 2023, 10:19:14 AM »

Hello all, I am new to this forum and wanted to reach out to share experiences.

My first admission is that I am in the perimenopausal stage of life and yesterday I finally accepted it. The second is that I feel embarrassed to talk about it with friends and family for fear of being ridiculed or being told I am over-reacting, too emotional and to get over myself. Just get on with it attitude.

I feel emotionally overwhelmed. I find being around people too stressful and have to walk away to re-ground and balance myself so that I am able to go back and be present. That triggers stress and fuels my anxiety to the point I can’t think and I walk around in a zombie state (brain fog) unable to connect at all. I feel numb inside, lonely and unable to manage simple tasks. Inside I am full of sadness, anxiety and screaming “help…what is going on with my mind and body?”

Each day I ask myself, what is it you need to support yourself? I do meditations, yoga, breathing exercises, go for walks, and I do intermittent fasting. This helps my body to release stress but some days just getting out bed I’m hit with deep anxiety and don’t want to do anything. I want to connect with others that are also challenged by this to share, explore and feel like it’s a stage in life that can be celebrated as opposed to being labelled as “taboo” and receiving comments such as “oh, are you having a menopausal moment?”.

Thank you for reading and if anyone wants to share that would be awesome!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause & Mental wellbeing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 11:22:35 AM »

:welcomemm:

As we enter peri-menopause: those years leading up to the menopause = last period; our bodies may require a different eating/exercise pattern as well as less alcohol .  It's The Change - does what it says on the tin.  Many think it's the end of periods and a few hot flushes, however.

Browse round.  Make notes.  Some find that seeing a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  No woman is too young to be in peri. 

A feeling of being overwhelmed as well as anxiety fluctuations are 'normal' for this time of life. 

I was advised in the 1990s by the National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome to eat every 3 hours.  24/7.  To keep blood sugar levels even to avoid anxiety surges.  That is, 24/7 all year round.  U may find that fasting has to be put on 1 side for a while.  Certainly 24/7 saved my Life and I try to stick to the regime although I can lapse occasionally.

At that time I had a puppy who soon learned that there were biscuits by the bed after she had been out in the early hours to make herself comfy.  She was 3 years B4 she could go through the night.

Brain fog can be helped by HRT.  It can protect bones and heart.  MayB decide which symptom U would like to ease first?

Let us know how you get on.

SarahT

Re: Perimenopause & Mental wellbeing
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 01:04:23 PM »

Hi Magoo! Welcome to you

Your post could have been written by me, and probably a lot of other women on this forum. It can feel very very overwhelming with the physical and mental health sides of perimenopause both  causing such chaos. Honestly, I assure you you are not alone. I get how you feel as will others.

Firstly, so you want to address the symptoms with hrt that can help? Not every woman wants to go down this route of course, there is a section on alternatives to hrt. But as CLKD suggests, do browse around on here at your options. There is anti anxiety medication that you may want to think about, but I think that if you are thinking of hrt, just do one thing at a time so your body gets settled and you can identify which  bit is working for you.

The talking with others can be tough. You are not under any obligation to tell anyone about any aspect of your health unless you want to! Your body, your mind.
If you are employed maybe they have menopause support in the workplace if you feel you wish to advise them.

I soon learned who to talk to and who not to.  My husband had no option as I felt like I had been hit by a bus and my moods were totally  out of control, and it took me weeks to realise all my symptoms  was due to perimenopause. I thought I was having a breakdown of going mad. Honestly.😠. Some people will have negative attitudes and respond in a jokey manner. I avoid them. It's no joke. Some women will never understand as everyone's experience is different, some almost don't realise they are post menopausal as they are relatively symptom free. I have a special name for them, but am too polite to share it...
Everyone on here is so supportive, use this forum as much as you need even if a question may sound daft or need a bit of a bit on a bad day.

There is a post,I think called advice for husband's ( and others!) Which may help those around you understand how you feel. Remember, you didn't choose this, but you can get help and support in different forms.

For me personally what do I celebrate? No more physical bleeds due to mirena coil, and whilst peri and stuff in my life has brought me to my lowest year ever, it has now made me realise how strong I am. and to seek out and accept help when it is genuinely offered.

Women are simply amazing. That includes you too. X