News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 758 times)

Carola

• First Flush
HRT
« on: January 30, 2024, 05:11:05 PM »

I am 62 with vaginal atrophy.  The pessaries created bladder infections and even more inflammation. So a doctor phoned about prescribing HRT. He scared me half to death, talking about the increased cancer risk for someone my age. I have an excellent BMI and no blood pressure problems although I do have osteoporosis because I’ve had MS for 20 years which has reduced my mobility although I am still walking and I use an exercise bike. Is it really too much of a risk to take for someone like me?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 05:29:11 PM »

:welcomemm:  some medics still have no education about a bedside manner.  Everything we do carries risk.  How about Quality of Life?  How about the GP arranging a face2face appt. to discuss options!   >:(::)

Which pessaries were you prescribed for the VA?  How long had you suffered with symptoms B4 you began using them?  There are several ways of delivering localised HRT and it may be that the vaginal skin was thin = soreness. 

Did U have infections i.e. was a sample sent for a Lab to be 'grown'?  It's a bit Trial and Error but once VA symptoms are eased, it can be daily insertion that keeps the vulva and vagina less sore.  Some are sensitive to the fillers and/or packaging of the pessaries.

Some find that replacement can help with VA symptoms.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice.  I use 'ovestin' inserted successfully as well as KY Jelly or 'ovestin' smeared on the outer labia when necessary. 

Well done on keeping up with the activities.  U may get on better talking to a Nurse Practitioner about the overall treatment of atrophy or get a referral to a dedicated menopause clninic if you are able to travel.  They're R waiting lists both in the private sector and on the NHS.  U may find that your local hospital has a menopause clinic: gynaecologists however aren't always au fait with menopause!

Carola

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 06:38:47 PM »

Over the last year, I have tried all of the pessaries and creams, but they just cause bladder infections and made it worse. I’m really hoping that if the transdermal patch which is apparently quite a low dose, settles it down, then I will be able to try the topical treatments again, but they were just too painful as there was so much inflammation. It got to the stage when I was sleeping in a chair as there was no point going to bed. I’ve got another six months to wait for the gynaecology appointment!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 07:15:19 PM »

There is a dedicated VA group ....... if you look for a member: Joanipat : she may be able to direct you there.  No one should suffer and 6 months is far too long, hence the idea of getting referred to a dedicated menopause clinic. 

Carola

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 08:03:09 PM »

Thank you. Will try and find that group. New to this, so still pressing the wrong buttons!

Minusminnie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 06:31:00 AM »

You have to have done at least 10 postings before you can message someone. The VA group mentioned is on Facebook you may find it that way.  I believe it is a closed group but just for privacy reasons. Can’t direct you as I don’t use Facebook.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 08:47:14 AM »

Most of the scare stories come from the old style hrt made from horse urine. Transdermal carries a small risk but it's less than drinking, smoking or being overweight. Although it's good to start on a low dose I think they recommend 50mcg or more to help osteoporosis. Is it possible you had an allergic reaction? Just wondering if a different product might give you some relief.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 09:31:55 AM »

Hi Carola,
I was on patches/oestrogel plus vagirux pessaries for nine months last year and my VA got worse and worse on that treatment, up to three pumps of gel and still getting worse.
Since mid December I'm on tibolone and vagifem ("same as" vagirux, different brand) and although I'm still getting older (yeah, seriously, this sucks) my VA symptoms have been getting really noticeably better and it's only been six weeks.

Listen to podcasts by Louise Newsome and others will pop up too. Well worth listening to for the most recent thinking on HRT.
Don't be put off by an old fashioned GP's scare stories, it's better for your health to take hrt than not to take it unless there's more you've not mentioned like a history of cancer.
I can only imagine hrt would be beneficial because you will already have so many adverse effects from MS, hormone imbalances won't help anything, I can't think of any contraindication for HRT in MS. Perhaps your GP is worried about drug interactions? It's not a problem with gabapentin, pregabalin or opiates, I can speak personally on those, maybe you're on something else that makes him nervous?

Especially if you already have osteoporosis, you might be able to switch whatever bone preserving drug you're on, for an HRT of 50mg/two pumps or more.

I've also a chronically encroaching disorder, genetic in my case, which means I'm on all sorts of medication including morphine patches. I know that when the body already isn't doing so well, the discomfort of menopause, including VA, can drive us absolutely nuts.

I hope you get a solution, gentle hugs xx

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 09:35:45 AM »

Ask him to prescribe the gel its considered one of the safest bio identical hrt you can get. Added to it some sort of progestegin if you have an intact uterus, utrogestan is one that many ladies on the group are currently using.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 10:49:17 AM »

Thank you. Will try and find that group. New to this, so still pressing the wrong buttons!
Hi, it is the Vaginal Atrophy Facebook support group. If you Google for that you will find it and can ask to join.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 11:26:25 AM »

Tnx JP.

Carola - let us know how you get on?

fiftyplus

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 12:57:56 PM »

@pastie supper - glad to hear tibilone & vagifem are working for you - do you/is it ok to take just tibilone & vagifem and nothing else? - I am just asking as this is all new to me x

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 01:16:05 PM »

@pastie supper - glad to hear tibilone & vagifem are working for you - do you/is it ok to take just tibilone & vagifem and nothing else? - I am just asking as this is all new to me x
Yes, just those two for menopause. The NHS has tibolone specifically for women who don't tolerate progestins. It's equally safe as far as they know and seems safer in some respects.
At last they believe me when I say progestins are torture for me and I've very happily ditched all the progesterones I had to trial last year with oestrogel.

The main problem was GP ignorance about all things menopause related. I told her I was progesterone intolerant and hadn't been able to take the pill, she said it wouldn't be a problem at all, HRT is different...

Except it isn't really, these are the same chemicals.
It was a different GP who knew about tibolone and stopped the misery that my life had become.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 01:25:43 PM by pastie supper »

Charleyfarley

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 12:33:48 PM »

Hey ladies….really interested to know if anyone experienced digestion issues when coming off HRT?

I was reading that when hormones deplete it can make food move thru the body quicker causing issues…:

It’s 4 weeks since I removed my sequi patch….and I only used HRT for 4 months….

Completely manageable but my tummy has felt like a waltzer for the last few weeks…all sorts of crazy sounds coming from it 😭 & from my behind 😭 stools also a lot more regular than normal…which is, in a way, a good thing! Medication I’m on always kept me quite constipated and only once weekly…but since taking off the HRT patches I’m daily and quite loose…

terrible nausea also but I feel that’s GAD related as the anxiety flew back and hit me ten fold when I discontinued….

Apologies for the lovely detail at lunchtime 😂🤦‍♀️ xx
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 12:35:25 PM by Charleyfarley »