Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie life after breast cancer  (Read 2022 times)

Lynikinz

• First Flush
Newbie life after breast cancer
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:05:30 PM »

Hi everyone
I was diagnosed with bi lateral breast cancer beg of feb this year and have had two operations to remove lumps. Then radiotherapy in sep
I was on HRT for 18 years and obviously I had to stop the patches. So now I’m back in the throws of menopause with a vengeance and I although the hot flushes and sleeplessness and aching joints are problematic the main problem is the vaginal atrophy- omg what a nightmare
And I can’t take any oestrogen as my cancers receptors were hormone dependent.
I was prescribed vagifem pessaries for 6 wks by the oncology/ gynaecology dept but I had a bit of pain and the start of some bleeding so I stopped until I can speak with my oncologist
I don’t know if anyone else has been in this position but I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks Lynn x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie life after breast cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »

Hi!  How many sessions of radiation did you undergo, mine was over 4 weeks  ::).  I had a small area that looked as though the breast had been in the sun on its own, a steroid cream was prescribed.

Many oncologists say 'no way,  no HRT' however: quality of Life is important.  If a women isn't allowed HRT after treatment, why not remove the breasts completely?  This of course has to be a personal decision depending on the relationship that a woman has with her breasts.

Sometimes vaginal atrophy can cause bleeding and when anything is inserted, it can aggravate very thin layers of skin internally.  I would ring the Oncologist Secretary and ask the question, VA can be treated successfully with little uptake in the body.  Where was the pain situated?

U R not alone.  It's easy days yet, how do you feel overall?  Has the shock worn off for example?

There is the thought that once we have had negative follow ups that HRT can be restarted.  MayB keep a diary of your symptoms to chart progress.

:welcomemm:

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »

Hi I don't have any experience or advice but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. What an awful lot you have been through and are now going through as a result. I hope your oncologist lets you continue with the VA treatment and that you find ways of dealing with the other symptoms of menopause. Sage is meant to be good for flushes, as is a certain type of antidepressant, I can't recall which one. There are also supplements that may help somewhat with muscles and joints such as omegas and magnesium. Wishing you well. Penguin x

Lynikinz

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 05:57:33 PM »

Hi CLKD
Thank you for your reply
I had 5 sessions over 5 days and because I had lumps on both sides the radiotherapy went from under the left arm right across to under the right and up to just under the neck
I’ve been applying E45 cream day and night.
It was def after the pessary was inserted that I noticed a pink couple of spots on my underwear and low ache almost like I was going to have a period
I’m due to have a telephone consultation with my oncologist on 31st so I will ask her
I’m using hydromol ointment and YES vm and WB and today used a little of the hyalofemme gel I received today and this helped to ‘put the fire out’ this morning

The shock of cancer you mean?
Oh yes that’s not a problem tbh although obv my boobs are all scarred and smaller than before
It’s all the menopausal symptoms that I’m having to deal with which are getting me down
Obviously the letrozole tablets eradicate oestrogen and I started taking those in august so my body is like a costume of a woman now
I’m just tired as sleep is awlful and joints ache but it’s the VA which is overwhelming at the moment
If men had to endure all these things I’m sure they would have taken a stand and got things sorted by now. 🤔
Lynn x

Lynikinz

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »

Thank you Penguin for your welcome msg 😊

Unfortunately I was told by my breast care nurse that I cannot take any photo oestrogen supplements so sage is out of the question
Honestly so annoying x

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 06:20:51 PM »

Thank you Penguin for your welcome msg 😊

Unfortunately I was told by my breast care nurse that I cannot take any photo oestrogen supplements so sage is out of the question
Honestly so annoying x

Oh that's a shame. I hadn't realised sage was a Phytoestrogen, that's useful to know.