Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem without loading dose  (Read 1896 times)

jorainbow

Vagifem without loading dose
« on: October 24, 2023, 06:21:32 AM »

Ive been prescribed vagifem twice a week with no loading dose. This is due to a March 21 biopsy showing 'mild endometrial hyperplasia '. Oct 21 and March 22 were disordered proliferative endometrium and clear respectively,  without any treatment. I struggled with both the mirena and more recently utrugestan vaginally combined with only 1 spray of lenzetto so I've decided to go without either for the tine being. I asked for vagifem as that is one of the most impacting symptoms.

Do you have to have the loading dose?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem without loading dose
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »

Not necessarily.  It will depend on how dry the vulva and vaginal areas are.  Of course, it's such a small amount once the 2-3 weeks loading period is done, that any concerns of triggering disease can be put to rest.

Who prescribed 'vagifem'? 

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »

The menopause consultant prescribed it this way I am assuming because of the past hyperplasia issue   though I was under the impression it doesn't go systemic.

I'm gathering all my information, scans etc and going private as I'm beyond with trying to get answers from him.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 09:48:17 AM »

Ah a menopause consultant may not be au fait with prolapse etc.  ::)

Who did the biopsy, mayB ring for advice? 

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 09:51:02 AM »

Thanks CLKD there's no prolapse just dryness 

Same team so I'll ask their secretary when i request all the info.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »

I've just started on Vagirux for VA, which I believe is an equivalent dose.  My GP said I could do loading doses, but as I've been sensitive to hormones, she would leave this with me. 

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 10:41:58 AM »

I've just started on Vagirux for VA, which I believe is an equivalent dose.  My GP said I could do loading doses, but as I've been sensitive to hormones, she would leave this with me.

Thanks. I might just do that instead!

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 11:08:09 AM »

Ultimately you will end up deciding for yourself what dose you will take. VA with time only gets worse and the symptoms are impossible to tolerate once it gets to the chronic stage. It all becomes quality of life in the end, the reason the treatment is for life.

Its why some GP's leave it to the patient as it is a very safe form of topical HRT.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »

I'm currently using it every other night. My GP said I could use it every night if necessary.  But everytime I read a different view of usage, I start worrying again. I've been using ovestin externally nightly for about 6 weeks and am now noticing a difference with plumping up. It's hard knowing what's ok though with so many different views

jorainbow

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 12:09:14 PM »

Thanks Jules. It seems my meno consultant will only allow twice weekly due to past hyperplasia despite me finding another letter where it says it isn't systemic. It is incredibly confusing

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »

Quality of Life Girls  8)

Jules

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 10:47:53 PM »

That's the problem Jules,what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another,always best to talk to a Dr.Like you, I was using it every other night but when I read negative things it panics me  :-\

And did you stop using it that frequently?

Jules

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 08:28:24 AM »

Yes I did,just didn't know what to believe any more BUT my VA has settled down,can still be uncomfortable when doing the old wham bam thank you mam lol but apart from that I've been ok but again everyone is different,so please don't stop using it just because of my panicky brain,mostly I've heard it is very safe x

I admit, I have stopped googling or reading anything other than on here. I was on twice a week and I had an internal exam and the doctor told me how thin the vaginal walls were, she said it would have been worse without any vagifem, she also said i had some fusion externally, it wasn't good to hear, so I increased it and started using ovestin externally.  I was prone to UTIs and she said unless i use vagifemfor life i would still get them.  I don't get discomfort with sex now but I'm still worried about using estrogen at all.

Wrensong

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 09:17:30 AM »

Hi jorainbow, we discussed the situation with systemic absorption of vaginal oestrogen on Ann B's thread on vaginal oestrogen post breast cancer a few months ago.  I've just posted on that thread again so it's back up in current pages if you'd like to look at it.  It's quite long so I'll paste in some extracts below in case you don't have time to check it out . . .

In the initial weeks of use, some of the ostradiol in Vagifem does go into systemic circulation.  The initial systemic absorption is thought to be because the vaginal mucosa, when in poor condition from atrophy, provide less of a barrier than once improved following adequate oestrogenisation from the effects of the vaginal HRT.

As an example & please bear in mind this is only my personal experience, after an enforced break from vaginal oestrogens of 8 weeks, the blood tests I had coincidentally arranged at the end of the 2 week Vagifem re-loading period showed my systemic oestradiol had almost doubled on the value I'd been getting from my systemic (patch based) HRT.  We could think of no other explanation than that the increase was due to the cumulative load from the nightly 10mcg oestradiol in Vagifem.

There are some articles & extracts here:-

Position Statement for Management of Genitourinary Syndrome of the Menopause (GSM)

https://balance-menopause.com/uploads/2021/10/GSM-for-BSSM-FINAL-version-with-links.pdf

"The dose of vaginal oestrogen is very low; for example, using 10mcg oestrogen pessaries regularly for one year is an
equivalent dose to just one 1mg of oestradiol HRT tablet."

The following paper mentions that placement (depth of insertion within the vagina) may influence how much gets into systemic circulation.  You will need to read the detail in the paper, but it seems that shallower insertion may result in less systemic absorption.

It also touches on absorption diminishing over time as the condition of the vaginal mucosa improves in response to the local treatment.

Systemic estradiol levels with low-dose vaginal estrogens

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7050796/

"Systemic estradiol absorption may be influenced by the placement of estradiol higher (as with an applicator) versus lower (as without an applicator) in the vagina . . . From this evidence, the authors recommended placing vaginal estrogens in the outer third of the vagina to reduce the risk of estradiol transport to the uterus. In addition, lower estradiol absorption was observed with softgel capsule vaginal inserts placed without an applicator (lower in the vagina) versus tablet vaginal insert of the same doses inserted with an applicator (higher in the vagina) in a head-to-head study.  Taken together, these data support a difference in estradiol absorption depending on placement of an estrogen product in the vagina."

"Thickness of the vaginal wall due to response with estrogen treatment may affect systemic absorption of estradiol when estrogens are used locally in the vagina. Some studies that measured estradiol levels at different times after vaginal estrogen use showed that peak and/or average levels declined over time as vaginal wall thickness likely increased with treatment"

"Certainly, after longer-term vaginal estrogen treatment (12 weeks, 83 or 84 days, 52 weeks), levels of circulating estradiol were similar to those at baseline or with placebo"

"CONCLUSIONS
Our review of systemic absorption of estradiol with use of low-dose and ultralow-dose vaginal estrogen therapies found low to negligible amounts of circulating estradiol that may be influenced by product formulation and vaginal placement."

Jorainbow I think the advice on lower placement may be particularly relevant for you.

I hope there's something helpful in this.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 09:35:34 AM by Wrensong »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 09:31:30 AM »

tnx - so women who have undergone breast surgery may still be at risk  :-\ of triggering oestrogen dominant disease. 

So far I haven't had problems fortunately but others who underwent more rigorsous treatment?  Criky, it's a Mine Field.  :'(
Pages: [1] 2