Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: When does vagifem leave system after stopping treatment  (Read 3177 times)

Gilligan

• First Flush
When does vagifem leave system after stopping treatment
« on: October 22, 2023, 08:19:46 AM »

I stopped taking vagifem tablets 15 days ago. I took it everyday for 14 days then 2 more time the following week and then stopped as the side effects were very uncomfortable,alot of vaginal burning and excess sticky discharge.  The discharge is so sticky it sticks my labias together. Now it seems there is less discharge. Vagina is still burning a bit.
How long does it take for vagifem to leave system.. A few weeks?

Dierdre

Re: When does vagifem leave system after stopping treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 08:56:02 AM »

It should only take a few days from stopping Vagifem as it's such a small dosage and very little goes systemic.
Have you checked for Thrush? Could you get a swab done at your GP'S.

Gilligan

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 09:31:25 AM »

Yes I was checked for thrush and it came back negative.
Discharge is clear and isn't thick, just very sticky.

Cara999

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 10:12:57 AM »

So sorry your struggling. I had lots of clear sticky discharge when all this started. Sometimes Vagifem can make things worse before better. If you could persevere with it it may get better. My discharge seems to have settled down now. Oh the Joy's eh....Good luck xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 10:17:27 AM »

Apart from the discharge has there been any intensive itching?

Get a script for 'ovestin' to try?  It can be Trial and Error.  I've never experienced any discharge with it. 

Some require Vagifem internally and others externally, i.e. ovestin or Yes products.  I also use KY jelly on the outer labia.

These products don't get 'into the system' as such once the initial loading has been done. Some are sensitive to the fillers rather than the active ingredient.  Perhaps try another product?

Gilligan

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 10:44:52 AM »

Hello Again
I don't have any itching. When I told my gyno about the burning, he said I had a reaction to something, maybe in the fillers.
I am not going to start a new treatment until this discharge goes away. Maybe the candida test was a false negative. But I think I have less discharge than a week ago. I hope it goes away soon as it's very uncomfortable.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 02:22:24 PM »

It will remain uncomfortable if it's vaginal atrophy.  Do read the 'bladder issues' thread and those relating to atrophy.  Make notes ;-).

The vagina cleanses itself so a certain amount of cyclical discharge is normal.

It may also be that you didn't have enough 'take up' of the oestrogen replacement = continuing dryness. 

Thrush is often blamed, when it's natural dryness due to lack of oestrogen.  As these levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, scalp, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes, vagina ........

Gilligan

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »

Hello
Re: most recent response to my post
I was dry to start, but the Vagifem as i wrote gave me lots of discharge , and now that i have stopped 2 weeks ago the discharge keeps coming . Before taking Vagifem i had minimal discharge. And now it still comes out lots of clear soming lookin white , very sticky and in the morning it is all over the inner lips of my vulva . Do you think this is thrush ?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »

I can't tell but often VA can begin with more discharge than usual.

Is there a Nurse Practitioner at your surgery who could have a lookC ?  If a lady is sexually active a discharge may occur ....... as long as it isn't whiffy I wouldn't worry too much. 4 me thrush was intense itching high up, no discharge.   ::) on three occcasions, once following emergency surgery. 

Gilligan

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 03:37:53 PM »

Hi I understand what you are saying, it's all a bit confusing.
 but my gyno saw me in August and said I had VA and was very dry, at that time I had minimal discharge, but after taking vagifem my vagina started secreting copious discharge, so the discharge I have now is the vagifem discharge,before it was yellow./white and never went all over my inner folds of labia like now.
Thrush usually itches, I just have a little burning.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 04:21:36 PM »

What goes up ...........   yellow/white discharge unless smelly is probably 'normal' for your body.

If the vagina is dry then anything inserted to ease that may well be shed as the walls plump up as it's no longer required, the vagina cleanses itself.

Do U have a Plan ....... let us know how you get on. 

Gilligan

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 10:34:20 AM »

I finally called my gyno and asked him about the discharge and he said I had an allergic reaction the vagifem tablets and eventually the excess  discharge will go away.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 10:38:41 AM »

Tnx for the update: An 'allergic reaction' without seeing you  :-\

What will U do now?  It's probably sensitivity to the fillers rather than the active ingredient and there are other products to help replace oestrogen.  MayB try a moisturiser, have a lookC at the 'yes' and other site which escapes me right now, brain fog  >:(.  Oh, Sylc.  To ease atrophy 1 needs oestrogen replacement, however getting anything up there that doesn't sting may well ease symptoms.

Vaginal atrophy mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well  >:(

How do U feel overall other than relieved?

Jules

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 05:53:42 PM »

I was very dry until I'd been using vagifem for a while and now have some discharge which can be sticky at times and often more after a dose. It's not a lot though and it feels more normal than not having any at all. I don't get burning.  I'm using ovestin externally.