Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Thyroid concern or meno?  (Read 31125 times)

Fizwhizz

Re: Thyroid concern or meno?
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2023, 07:35:13 PM »

I think hormones put more metabolic demands on the body. If you think about it, they are kinda like natural steroids(!). If your thyroid is struggling already, it's not going to be able to meet those demands. That's how I see it anyways. I've vaguely read about more complex mechanisms but there doesn't seem any evidence one way or the other...

I think that’s what I understood from my reading that for some the hormones add an additional burden which tips the thyroid the wrong way and for others it can be a support. I also started watching a functional medicine info reel which seemed to be saying much the same. We’re all unique and so are our problems. I think pre-meno I was having thyroid symptoms, especially feeling cold, but I didn’t link it back then. Now in menopause or probably post meno it’s a whole different story.

joziel

« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2023, 09:19:47 PM »

I'm the same. I've had cold feet for about 10 years before all this, and slow metabolism for forever... constipation... dry skin and eyes...

I just thought it was all 'me'. Then it went a bit ballistic after I started HRT. These symptoms weren't one of my low estrogen symptoms, those were extensive and classic. So I started HRT, which fixed all those, and 3 weeks later all this s h i t started....

Fizwhizz

« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »

I'm the same. I've had cold feet for about 10 years before all this, and slow metabolism for forever... constipation... dry skin and eyes...

I just thought it was all 'me'. Then it went a bit ballistic after I started HRT. These symptoms weren't one of my low estrogen symptoms, those were extensive and classic. So I started HRT, which fixed all those, and 3 weeks later all this s h i t started....

Similar story. I felt ok initially on HRT but I’ve been forever tweaking doses and never achieved the actual balance or feeling great that others talked about. I suppose if my thyroid is on the blink it makes sense. HRT never shifted my depression or periods of crashing fatigue. I get dizzy spells when I stand now and have started with occasional Raynuards in my right hand. I have dry skin, dry eyes, sluggish metabolism too, despite not having a great appetite and symptoms of anemia. I never could understand how people had energy to run marathons and do energetic stuff. I need to be in bed by 10.30pm just to function the next day! Like you I thought it was just normal to feel like this and it was just ‘me’. Not helped when blood tests all show ‘normal’.

Floral

« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2023, 02:24:28 AM »

Same as you ladies, read about feeling really cold, constipation, low iron, low folate, low stomach acid, leaky gut, hair loss,  headaches etc etc and suspected thyroid but TSH reported OK! Then because I’m well post meno and started getting these crashes post vaccine and covid, I began using medichecks and T4 below range in May - now 15 and last T3 3.9, my recent crash was horrendous on sofa for 2 months, it was like my body shut down, freezing feet, awful lows, dizzy standing up, no appetite, nauseous, heart having to work harder and no help from private Endo jerk.  Why are we to suffer so much just because TSH in a range?!!!    I’m annoyed as iv struggled to make Xmas dinner even with help, then eating it raised my heart rate that I could barely enjoy it.  I’m SO terrified of crashing again and the extra fatigue and weakness that follows every crash.  I really feel for anyone with this health issue it’s so darn debilitating and upsetting.  Low FT3 is no joke.  Here’s to our better health 2024 ❤️

Fizwhizz

« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2023, 09:19:53 AM »

Same as you ladies, read about feeling really cold, constipation, low iron, low folate, low stomach acid, leaky gut, hair loss,  headaches etc etc and suspected thyroid but TSH reported OK! Then because I’m well post meno and started getting these crashes post vaccine and covid, I began using medichecks and T4 below range in May - now 15 and last T3 3.9, my recent crash was horrendous on sofa for 2 months, it was like my body shut down, freezing feet, awful lows, dizzy standing up, no appetite, nauseous, heart having to work harder and no help from private Endo jerk.  Why are we to suffer so much just because TSH in a range?!!!    I’m annoyed as iv struggled to make Xmas dinner even with help, then eating it raised my heart rate that I could barely enjoy it.  I’m SO terrified of crashing again and the extra fatigue and weakness that follows every crash.  I really feel for anyone with this health issue it’s so darn debilitating and upsetting.  Low FT3 is no joke.  Here’s to our better health 2024 ❤️

I’m sorry you struggled. I similarly had a massive energy crash and was laid out on the sofa. I think in my case it was getting to the end of the school term on Friday with a difficult teen and we have a poorly elderly dog who we’re saying goodbye to. Luckily for me Amazon delivered some b vits and they’ve helped hugely and I’ve only taken them for 3 days.

Like you I’m low on folate. Medichecks test said my blood cells are too large so not functioning. Basically anaemia as I understand it.

I feel dizzy standing up and have fainted twice, have low blood pressure, and little appetite. I hadn’t equated these symptoms with anything specific.

My blood work isn’t that dissimilar to yours. Everything in normal range but TS4 and 3 low.

I second that. Here’s to a healthier 2024!

Floral

« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2023, 02:48:14 PM »

Hi Fizz, your low folate will def not be helping, mine is ok now as that was a year ago and I’m still taking it as a supplement.  The TSH is a joke as I now know.
Will you be seeking thyroid treatment?
I’m waiting.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2023, 02:55:04 PM »

Hi Fizz, your low folate will def not be helping, mine is ok now as that was a year ago and I’m still taking it as a supplement.  The TSH is a joke as I now know.
Will you be seeking thyroid treatment?
I’m waiting.

No, the low folate is causing anaemia in me so deffo not helping. In a complete meltdown on Christmas Eve I booked an appointment with Dr Conway to try unpick things. I’m literally falling apart at the seams in so many ways currently but life’s been a bit stressful and I have a difficult teen at home too. I’m not sure about thyroid treatment. I definitely wouldn’t get it in the NHS with my current levels. I’m just hoping for some advice to understand and put things in place first maybe like the supplements etc but if the advice is to start meds now then I would as I don’t want things to get worse.

Floral

« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2023, 03:13:03 PM »

That’s a good move to see Dr Conway, she can then advise, hope your apt not to far away?
Stress not good for sure but sometimes it’s unavoidable. 
My other bloods are now ok but I know I need treatment as life is on hold and horrid at times.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2023, 05:01:28 PM »

That’s a good move to see Dr Conway, she can then advise, hope your apt not to far away?
Stress not good for sure but sometimes it’s unavoidable. 
My other bloods are now ok but I know I need treatment as life is on hold and horrid at times.

It’s in March but I was in a state when I booked. I need to calmly read through everything and contact them to ensure I get the right testing kit first and also stop the b vits when it arrives and which I’ve only just started and seem to be helping massively already. Once I’ve done the tests I’ll be a bit closer to getting some support hopefully. One thing at a time I suppose. I’ve definitely hit a wall in several senses this Christmas and it hasn’t been good. I’ve lost it with the teenager’s behaviour and the dog’s going to sadly have to be put to sleep as he’s really old and struggling.

SarahT

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2023, 07:49:26 PM »

Fizwizz,
Just a slight off track comment to send you much needed hug. I have had a year of huge losses and health problems and  whilst I don't have teenager moods to work with I can fully sympathise with the imminent loss of your beloved dog, my own heart has suffered many ( still unhealed) cracks from losing much loved animals. In time be comforted to know  your gave your love to him and received the same back from him too, that will always remain. X

Fizwhizz

« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »

Fizwizz,
Just a slight off track comment to send you much needed hug. I have had a year of huge losses and health problems and  whilst I don't have teenager moods to work with I can fully sympathise with the imminent loss of your beloved dog, my own heart has suffered many ( still unhealed) cracks from losing much loved animals. In time be comforted to know  your gave your love to him and received the same back from him too, that will always remain. X

Thanks Sarah,

That’s so kind. It’s made me cry again. I’m really sad about the dog but it’s definitely time, for his sake. He’s nearly 17 and struggling hugely now and we know it’s the kindest thing although it’s hard. With this, my getting older and the health issues and teenage behaviours it’s been a time for grief for me personally  but I’m really ever so grateful for the help and support on here.

Thank you. x

SarahT

« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2023, 08:56:07 PM »

Sadly I have been there many times. It really is the kindest, and in some ways, the most loving thing you can do for him. Shed those tears, I always think those worthy of pure love are those that deserve our tears.

I had counselling this year after the most awful events in my life and my biggest goal was to try to accept what has gone on and the effects these events have left me feeling, and it helped enormously. It didn't make things to swaying course, but has helped me cope and feel stronger. We can all grieve for many things that are personal to us. I too have had a huge amount of support on here,  Take care x

Fizwhizz

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »

Sadly I have been there many times. It really is the kindest, and in some ways, the most loving thing you can do for him. Shed those tears, I always think those worthy of pure love are those that deserve our tears.

I had counselling this year after the most awful events in my life and my biggest goal was to try to accept what has gone on and the effects these events have left me feeling, and it helped enormously. It didn't make things to swaying course, but has helped me cope and feel stronger. We can all grieve for many things that are personal to us. I too have had a huge amount of support on here,  Take care x

Thanks Sarah, that reply helped hugely. I’ve put a call into the vet so waiting to hear back. As for other things. Yes, life can be very difficult at times. This is why this forum is so supportive. Not just for the menopause advice but as a safe place to share too. I have a lot to unpick with my health stuff and family and just life stuff too. I have counselling for trauma and find it very helpful indeed. Thank you. x

Floral

« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2023, 12:03:25 PM »

Dear Fizz, I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts, a decision no one that has a treasured pet wants to make.  I went through this a couple of times🙁
Know that you cared, loved and gave him a good life. 
I’m hoping and praying that both our appointments will move us on to sunnier pastures.  Glad B vitamins helping you x

Fizwhizz

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »

Dear Fizz, I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts, a decision no one that has a treasured pet wants to make.  I went through this a couple of times🙁
Know that you cared, loved and gave him a good life. 
I’m hoping and praying that both our appointments will move us on to sunnier pastures.  Glad B vitamins helping you x

Thanks Floral. All these messages are making me cry. I’m usually a ‘coper’ but it’s been a very difficult time on so many different fronts. Yes, it’s a sad decision but it’s for the best for the dog I feel. The b vits have been transformative in a very short space of time (4 days of taking them now). Clearly I’m at a very low point in many ways, and I had a low appetite going on anyway which I think is linked, plus now with everything I can’t face food at all. One step at a time.

On an aside, does anyone have thyroid neck swelling? I don’t think I have a goitre. I just have a weird feeling under my chin. The skin’s getting a bit saggy but I can really feel it. I’m not overweight so just wondering if it’s sagging skin/fat or thyroid connected too?

Thanks for your kindness. x
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15