Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Thyroid concern or meno?  (Read 31122 times)

Furyan

Re: Thyroid concern or meno?
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2023, 09:17:31 AM »

Furyan, just reading over posts and you are abs right re low FT3 and adrenaline, that’s exactly what I get, and low FT3 is symptom of hypo as P Rob has confirmed.
Like you & Joziel, I am not going to be well until this is sorted, I just wish we didn’t have to go through this as well as meno x

The thing with low T3 is that it puts huge stress on the adrenals, which then potentially adds to symptoms such as volatile blood-sugar, adrenaline surges, high cortisol release etc. These are what cause the ‘crashes’. I read a subsequent post of yours where you mention you feel freezing cold too - this isn’t only a low T3 symptom but could also be due to unstable cortisol. I’ve also discovered that hypothyroidism potentially drains us of progesterone which can then mean there’s not enough to balance oestrogen, hence symptoms of low progesterone add to the mix.

You might find this article helpful but, of course, you’d need to decide whether this describes what might be going on for you depending on your symptoms, bloods and seeing a knowledgeable thyroid doctor:

https://www.drlaurendeville.com/liver-affects-thyroid/

The article contains other useful links within it x
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:37:31 AM by Furyan »

Floral

« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2023, 01:39:20 PM »

Hi Furyan,  thank you and yes this describes my symptoms very well and explains a lot! Thyroid has a dominos effect for sure.
I have read the article all very relevant and interesting thank you!
I have sent you a dm x

AmandaJR

« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2023, 03:50:16 PM »

Amanda, I really hope your Endo apt goes well, do let us know.  Do you feel energetic?  as high appetite etc goes with hyper rather than hypo though I’m sure you know that.
I wouldn’t say I feel good it’s more ‘better’ than I was, it’s these crashes iv been getting and now my energy is limited.  Think I have a conversion issue as in my T4 not converting to main T hormone FT3.  It’s been horrible I just want to be ME again🙏🏻
Best wishes for now x

Hi Floral, gawd I know what you mean about just wanting to feel like yourself again! I’m glad you feel a bit better but hope you feel back on form soon.
You put me on to the 1 to 1 coach who has been absolutely fantastic, thank you so, so much. Hyper isn’t his field but he has helped tremendously, I need to see the Endocrinologist to find the type and cause, he pretty much advised the same as The Thyroid Clinic but gave me far more info.

Yes, I’m burning a lot of energy which has demolished cholesterol/ speeded up my metabolism resulting in weight loss and constant hunger. I’ll be glad to get rid of the growling stomach.

Thank you for your help with this and I hope you can get in to see the Doc on a cancellation so that you’re seen ASAP.
Amanda.x

Floral

« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2023, 12:57:46 AM »

Hi Amanda, I’m so pleased you are getting somewhere!  Did you have apt with Paul?  Great start!!

That’s what is so good about this forum, we get help and info from other members, I first posted on here and it drew my attention to thyroid.
It must be difficult for you dealing with hyper, but you will get there🌻 keep us posted x

AmandaJR

« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2023, 10:18:33 AM »

Hi Floral, totally agree about how helpful the forum is, I got quite a few great contacts from member recommendations.
It wasn’t an apt with Paul as he pointed out that Hyper isn’t his field but he said he could still help and did. The guy is lovely.

My Endo apt has been moved due to strikes! I was supposed to be going on holiday on Friday night but we’d already decided it was best not to go, now we’re going! Every cloud has a silver lining! X

Fizwhizz

« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2023, 11:52:52 AM »

Hello ladies. Please can I jump on. I’m sure I’m on the journey of thyroid in the blink (likely hypo but self diagnosed as TSH and T4 and 3 within the normal range but T3 especially scraping along the bottom, folate and vit D not great either, Medichecks suggested I eat more sprouts for folate but FFS just read they ate goitre inducing, it’s a minefield but I digress). I’ve been trying to read this thread but my fatigued brain can only process so much. Whoever said about faffing around with HRT levels resonates here. This is me. Before menopause I had symptoms of feeling cold, crashing fatigue but now with menopause I’m all over the shop. Anyway, please excuse my ramblings but can anyone help me find Dr Conway’s book please. When I google Stop They Thyroid Madness another author’s name pops up. Thanks

joziel

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2023, 12:05:11 PM »

Dr Conway hasn't written a book. She runs thethyroidclinic.co.uk  I see her privately and recommend.

If you want a book, there's Stop the Thyroid Madness and there are also Paul Robinson's books, Recovering with T3 and The Thyroid Patient's Manual.

You can easily supplement with folate and D3.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2023, 01:04:30 PM »

Dr Conway hasn't written a book. She runs thethyroidclinic.co.uk  I see her privately and recommend.

If you want a book, there's Stop the Thyroid Madness and there are also Paul Robinson's books, Recovering with T3 and The Thyroid Patient's
Manual.

You can easily supplement with folate and D3.

Thanks for this. I’ll buy Stop the Thyroid Madness. I didn’t want to buy the wrong book and wanted a UK one as I’ve been flitting across sites and info but wanted any recommendations to be UK compatible.

I’ve used a VitD calculator and it recommended a dosage of 4000 units x 3 months to get me up to 100 units of vit D which is recommended for me. I’m currently 70 units. Apologies but I haven’t got my head around all the different measurements yet so am just calling them ‘units’. 4000 is a high dose and it feels a bit scary to be self medicating but am feeling so rubbish am driven to resort to it.  I’ve also got some B vits ordered with folate not folic acid, which apparently hypo sufferers can struggle to absorb. These were recommended on Health Unlocked forum. Still reeling from the spouts suggestion by the Medichecks GP she she was obviously basing her advice on thyroid being in range rather than not optimal and me reporting symptoms. Feels like a bloody minefield to unpick. Then there’s the menopause and the distinct possibility the oestrogen might be messing things up further. Thanks again and sorry for the rant.

Kathleen

« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »

Hello ladies.

Fizwhizz - It is my understanding that cooking hugely reduces the goitregenic effect of foods. Good news if you want to cook your Brussel sprouts instead of eating them raw lol. I  am also hypothyroid and eat fresh and cooked greens daily and so far so good.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism  in 2019 after suffering from Glandular Fever. I have taken 75mg of Levothyroxine ever since and my blood work shows a low TSH and a high T4 which I understand is fine.

It's always a good idea to read up on the condition and if you learn anything relevant perhaps you can update the forum.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

joziel

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2023, 02:14:34 PM »

4000IUs of D isn't a high dose at all. I take that daily and my D3 is high/optimal. Most people will need to take between 2000-5000IUs/day just to maintain decent D levels, not to correct a deficiency.

With the B vitamins, just check the amount of folate in there. Because often it is higher if you can buy folate separately, than the amount included in a B complex. (B Complexes are good and you can take that as well, but might not provide enough folate.) I take Pure Encapsulations Folate, when I need it. I can't remember what sort of folate it is but it works for me.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2023, 06:20:16 PM »

4000IUs of D isn't a high dose at all. I take that daily and my D3 is high/optimal. Most people will need to take between 2000-5000IUs/day just to maintain decent D levels, not to correct a deficiency.

With the B vitamins, just check the
amount of folate in there. Because often it is higher if you can buy folate separately, than the amount included in a B complex. (B Complexes are good and you can take that as well, but might not provide enough folate.) I take Pure Encapsulations Folate, when I need it. I can't remember what sort of folate it is but it works for me.

Thanks. I feel reassured that 4000 isn’t a mega dose. It still might not be enough for me as only 50% of people on this dose hit 100 units of vit D by 3 months. I think I’m just having a bit of a meltdown with it all. I’ve been on private HRT and tweaking doses up and down for 5 years. I still felt there was something else at play plus I have fam history of thyroid issues. The HRT GP is looking to optimise these hormones but how can she if my thyroid’s on the blink. Thank goodness I trusted my gut and didn’t want to add testosterone in as well…

In my state I’ve booked an appt with Dr Conway as I can’t go on like this. I have no energy for life. I could just crawl into bed and sleep for a week.  Just grappling with one of her patient info forms and not sure what test they’ll send me as I just paid but it didn’t say whether blood or saliva. Hopefully the b vits and increase in vit d will start to help too and I can claw my way back up. Thanks for your responses. I appreciate the support.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »

Hello ladies.

Fizwhizz - It is my understanding that cooking hugely reduces the goitregenic effect of foods. Good news if you want to cook your Brussel sprouts instead of eating them raw lol. I  am also hypothyroid and eat fresh and cooked greens daily and so far so good.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism  in 2019 after suffering from Glandular Fever. I have taken 75mg of Levothyroxine ever since and my blood work shows a low TSH and a high T4 which I understand is fine.

It's always a good idea to read up on the condition and if you learn anything relevant perhaps you can update the forum.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Thanks. I did eat a few raw ones thinking I was helping but fortunately not too many.

I don’t have much appetite for food at the moment and don’t feel hungry but I’m not stressing about that currently. I think I’ve just tried to keep going and have burned out.

I have no diagnosis but these are my latest Medichecks results. From my reading around I think your levels sound more optimal. Thanks for replying. I’m feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment. It’s the fatigue.

mIU/L

FREE T3
3.1 - 6.8 R
pmol/L

FREE THYROXINE
12 - 22 R

joziel

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2023, 07:55:49 PM »

Your free T3 is pretty low there. It would help to also have rT3, especially if you haven't been diagnosed with thyroid issues before. If your rT3 is high and your free T3 is low, you have conversion issues. (Many reasons for that.)

That's what's going on for me. It was a bit of an experiment to get any thyroid meds prescribed though. It's definitely not clearcut.

I don't see what your T4 is there, just the range. Is 2.4 your TSH? That's a wee bit high but not too bad.

You for sure can start testosterone, many women find it's the missing piece. I started E, T and P all together at the start of HRT - I'm with Newson. It's not going to affect thyroid stuff and can help.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2023, 08:09:37 PM »

Your free T3 is pretty low there. It would help to also have rT3, especially if you haven't been diagnosed with thyroid issues before. If your rT3 is high and your free T3 is low, you have conversion issues. (Many reasons for that.)

Thanks for that my T4 is 12.6 which is near the bottom of the range. As I understand it this means I don’t have lots to convert into T3. I booked a well woman check so no anti bodies done but my folate is low and my red blood cells are enlarged so not carrying oxygen properly and my cholesterol was flagged as creeping above range as it’s 5.5 and 5 is the top.

I read that oestrogen can cause an on the blink thyroid to fail and I read something else that said HRT can support thyroid. I have no idea. All I know is I feel pretty low and rubbish currently. Like my batteries are completely flat. 🤷‍♀️

That's what's going on for me. It was a bit of an experiment to get any thyroid meds prescribed though. It's definitely not clearcut.

I don't see what your T4 is there, just the range. Is 2.4 your TSH? That's a wee bit high but not too bad.

You for sure can start testosterone, many women find it's the missing piece. I started E, T and P all together at the start of HRT - I'm with Newson. It's not going to affect thyroid stuff and can help.

joziel

« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2023, 03:02:42 PM »

I think hormones put more metabolic demands on the body. If you think about it, they are kinda like natural steroids(!). If your thyroid is struggling already, it's not going to be able to meet those demands. That's how I see it anyways. I've vaguely read about more complex mechanisms but there doesn't seem any evidence one way or the other...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15