Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Unexplained weight gain and chronic sleepiness  (Read 648 times)

Sunriser

Unexplained weight gain and chronic sleepiness
« on: February 06, 2024, 03:28:46 PM »

Just been to GP about this issue. Last time full bloods and weight taken was in July, but I knew I’d gained weight.
I have scales at home but thought they couldn’t possibly be right?
Turns out they were. I’ve gained 5 kg since last July.
I am a healthy eater, never had a weight issue. I have tried fasting but I get migraines if I don’t eat at the right meal times.
I’m heading out of the healthy BMI range and it’s uncontrollable!
I really don’t know what else I can cut out of my diet. Plus I am sleeping like a log during the night and also have another 2 hour sleep during the day. Whether I need it or not haha
Re HRT, I’ve read some posts that suggest that other ladies have gained weight due to excess oestrogen.
I’ve had a bit of a wild ride on HRT. When I eventually found the right one for me (Evorel conti) I felt a great improvement in my symptoms.
Then (and I don’t know why) it became less and less effective. So GP put me on Evorel 75 and Utrogestan (I took it orally as I’m intolerant).
So I went to see a meno consultant and she put me back on Evorel Conti with testosterone. This has helped a bit. As in getting me out of bed, stopping my nails turning to paper and easing constipation etc etc
But the weight is piling on for no reason and so is the sleeping.
Bit of background-I am someone who lives with disability/chronic illness and can usually manage the symptoms enough to have some kind of quality of life but that is slipping through my fingers at a rate of knots.
So, I’m getting my thyroid checked amongst other things.
Any advice welcome. TIA.

Penguin

Re: Unexplained weight gain and chronic sleepiness
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 03:54:29 PM »

That's the first thing that sprung to mind was thyroid! Did they test that in July too?

Does your chronic condition mean you can't do a lot of exercise, because perhaps your metabolism has slowed down too?

Wrensong

Re: Unexplained weight gain and chronic sleepiness
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 03:56:52 PM »

Hello Sunriser,
I’m getting my thyroid checked amongst other things
just a quickie to say this would have been my suggestion on reading your post, so I think you're wise to pursue that.  I've been on thyroid replacement for many years & I'm sure you know that weight gain & disproportionate fatigue/tiredness are classic symptoms of low thyroid.  Doesn't mean that's what's behind it for you of course, but sensible to get fully checked out.  Let us know how you get on.
Wx
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 03:58:29 PM by Wrensong »