Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newbie - palpitations  (Read 6789 times)

Peri2022

Re: Newbie - palpitations
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 06:36:32 AM »

Jenny23 - I wanted to reply as your story is similar to mine - sudden and overwhelming anxiety and despair. I was also very wary of HRT as I’m very sensitive to medications. In fact, I started at 50mcg Estradot patch and had to stop because I reacted badly. However my life became so horrific that I started again at 25mcg and have slowly worked my way up to 75 over nine months. I can honestly say HRT made my life worth living again. It hasn’t been a miracle cure but it has taken away the constant sense of horror. Please consider giving it a try and do start at a low dose if you’re worried. Good luck.

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »

I hear you Jenny23 - we understand.  This is a safe place to tell it like it is & no one judges us here.  I will come back & reply properly later when I have more time. Meanwhile sending a hug.  I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will get through this.
Wx

Jenny23

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 01:57:24 PM »

I can’t thank you enough ladies for the support. Your light shines in my heart today. Just hearing you share your stories gives me courage. Thank you!

Peri2022

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 03:25:01 PM »

Jenny, you’re so welcome. This is a difficult journey but there is hope at the end of it. The women in this forum are absolute, actual lifesavers - use the support and wisdom whenever you need it. X

Wrensong

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »

Jenny23, you are definitely not alone, many, many members know how difficult & frightening a time menopause can be & everyone here does their best to help each other.  So please never hesitate to post, nothing is taboo, nothing too trivial & for anything you want members only to see, we have the Private Lives section.

The change has been shockingly sudden.
As with you, the start of perimenopause brought really quite extreme symptoms for me & I struggled to believe that's "all" it was.  Menopause had a much lower profile back then, so the various symptoms were not so widely publicised.  I had no access to MM, none of my friends had got there yet & I had no remaining close female relatives to compare notes with, so it was all a huge shock to the system & very isolating.  I bought every menopause book I could get my hands on & amassed a shelf full over the first couple of years!  If you learn as much as you can it can be reassuring  that what's happening is par for the course.

I found the palpitations very frightening like you & also felt very unwell with flushes & night sweats, which lasted far longer than the few minutes menopause authorities state is typical.  The palpitations often came at the same time as flushes & at their worst at night the combination used to make me shake uncontrollably (again like you & Booroo), to the extent I found it physically exhausting.  I became afraid of palpitations & flushes striking when away from home & felt very claustrophobic when they happened in restaurants, at concerts or the theatre.  I distinctly remember flushing badly, heart racing & like you - fearing I'd pass out - in the middle of a big city centre M&S cafe which was packed with people eating lunch & also in the dark of concert halls when all I wanted was to get out in the cool night air, but felt trapped because with the lights down I'd have to disturb so many people to get along the row & down the stairs!  In the first months when these horrible sensations are all so new, we fear we won't survive them, but we all do & if you have a good look around the forum you'll see you are far from alone with the anxiety it all gives rise to.

I feel like crying all the time for no specific reasons
That can be bewildering but it's sadly very common at this time of life.  As Peri22 says do use the forum as much as you need to, you will find a lot of support, understanding, knowledge & experience here.

I'm glad to know you have an amazing family & that your husband has been so supportive.  Please try not to feel guilty though, none of what you're going through is your fault.  Be as open as you feel you can about how this is affecting you & don't be afraid to take what help & support they offer.  The more rested & relaxed you feel, the easier it will be for your body to adapt to the changes.

You asked how HRT has been for me & about side effects.  I'm better with it than without & a lot better than I was throughout perimenopause when I was not on HRT, but it's not been a panacea, nor can we realistically expect it to be.  It has helped with the majority of my symptoms, though I'm frustrated to still struggle with overheating at night, the related insomnia & occasional flares of GSM.  Please don't be put off by that, I have other chronic conditions in the mix that mean I was never going to be the poster girl for HRT!  I have had side effects, yes, but some of those have been dose-related, so improve or resolve at the right dose & some have been because of progesterone intolerance, which affects a few of us but not most by any means.  Part of the problem with needing cyclical progesterone for me has been thyroid interaction & if you don't have a thyroid condition that won't apply to you.  I'm assuming, given the palpitations, that your thyroid was checked with your recent blood tests?   

My daytime flushing now only tends to strike in stressful situations & I only have occasional palpitations, except as I said earlier, when adjusting to changes of medication.  A lot improves postmenopause when we are no longer affected by the chaotic fluctuations of peri & we are then just dealing with a steadier state of relative hormone deficiency that makes it easier to replace whatever we need to as individuals.

The medications scare me especially because the side effects can make things worse.
Yes, that's only natural & many of us feel that way, but you are in control.  If something doesn't suit you, you can stop & if you want to, try something else & if not, at least you'll know you have given yourself that opportunity.  I agree with Peri22 that if you decide you would like to try HRT, starting at a low dose & increasing gradually if need be is a good idea.

There is a menopause clinic that I will reach out to discuss all of this and treatment.
I think that's a very good idea.  Reassurance & guidance from a sympathetic expert can be invaluable.   Meanwhile I'd carry on with acupuncture if you are comfortable with that, have a good look around the forum & learn what you can so that you can ask the right questions if/when you see a doctor.
Wx

Jenny23

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 09:24:20 PM »

Wrengsong- thank you so much for taking the time to respond in great detail. It means so much. My thyroid was checked. T3 and T4 and THS were normal. I have thyroid antibodies but the endocrinologist said that if T3 and T4 and THS are normal then we should not worry about the antibodies because they should not be creating issues or causing symptoms for now. I can get a second opinion on this to make sure if it is the correct approach. I am efficient in vitamin D and taking supplements for that as suggested by the endocrinologist. Wondering how long did the perimenopause last for you?

Wrensong

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2023, 01:44:34 PM »

Jenny, hi, I'm so sorry to be so long responding - I have not been looking at the forum for some time due to other issues.

It's good that your thyroid function looks OK & the presence of thyroid antibodies doesn't necessarily mean you will go on to develop a thyroid condition that requires treatment.  If you know the results of your tests & would like members with thyroid experience to have a look at them, do post them (together with the reference ranges) but if not, don't worry.

Good that you are on Vit D if this has been recommended for you.
Wondering how long did the perimenopause last for you?
I had obvious menopause symptoms for about 7 1/2 years before final period & with hindsight there were changes prior to that I now know were likely due to sex hormone decline.

How are you now?
Wx

Scampidoodle

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2023, 06:17:36 PM »

Jenny23 - I wanted to reply as your story is similar to mine - sudden and overwhelming anxiety and despair. I was also very wary of HRT as I’m very sensitive to medications. In fact, I started at 50mcg Estradot patch and had to stop because I reacted badly. However my life became so horrific that I started again at 25mcg and have slowly worked my way up to 75 over nine months. I can honestly say HRT made my life worth living again. It hasn’t been a miracle cure but it has taken away the constant sense of horror. Please consider giving it a try and do start at a low dose if you’re worried. Good luck.

Hi there I wondered what reactions you had to hrt when going on 50 patch?

Peri2022

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »

Hi Scampidoodle. Initially I started at 50mcg and felt totally drugged, wired, agitated…just awful. I didn’t feel like myself at all. I stopped cold turkey but my peri symptoms got worse and worse so I decided to try HRT again at 25mcg. My mood gradually improved within days/weeks and I incrementally increased to 37.5 then 50 over a period of about 6 months. I’m glad I persevered.

Jenny23

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 03:51:58 AM »

Wrengsong - thank you for responding. Really appreciate it. I have been doing lots of Accupuncture. 2 times a week for 2 months now. This is the only thing helping. In a clinic owned by a Chinese MD that has owned the clinic for 30+ years. Slow progress but progress. I have prescription for the HRT lowest dose (estrogen patch and progesterone pill) and waiting to see if Accupuncture will bring normalcy. I have blood clots in the family so worried about that when deciding on HRT. I am also journaling what foods I can tolerate. Meat causes heart palpitations, large meals also causes palpitations. Started running for 15 minutes daily to get back into exercise. Hoping that I can do this going forward daily and the heart feels good. Now I started to get significant hot flashes during the night which wake me up but I am finding a way to fall asleep after the hourly furnace on my face and neck. Sleep is less than ideal but doing best to get 6-7 hours of sleep all in to get through this.

You are right that the symptoms started much earlier and now they are at a peak. I just do not realize how we were not educated on this important stage.

I am sending healing thoughts to all of you ladies.

I will keep updated in case I find anything else that works. If it helps someone that would be miraculous. I so much appreciate everyone’s support.

Wrensong

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 11:30:16 AM »

Jenny, thank you for the update.  It's good to know that acupuncture is helping you & you have some HRT to try should you feel this is your next appropriate step.  Transdermal oestrogen (like your patches) & micronised progesterone (Utrogestan/Prometrium & other body identical brands) are thought not to increase clotting risk.

With meal size, as you've found, smaller meals rather than large, not going too long between & not exercising on empty, can help stabilise blood sugar, minimising spikes & crashes that can make menopause symptoms worse.  Sorry if we covered this before - I've not re-read the thread in detail today.

Exercise is good too  :), but just be aware of feedback from your body as you increase what you do, so that you get the pace & quantity right.  Doing too much or at too great an intensity can overly stress the body at this challenging time & I found that one of the factors that induced episodes of ectopics.

That's great that you're finding a way to get back to sleep when woken by night sweats.  If you want to share what works for you I think that could be very helpful to others (me included!)

I just do not realize how we were not educated on this important stage.
So, so many of us have said the same, Jenny.  It's shocking to realise that the range, magnitude of effects & duration of menopause symptoms can be so great for some women, as well as just how much individual experiences can differ, when most of us have had little idea of what may be in store for us.  This forum is fab for reducing the isolation & worry about what's happening though.

I wish you as smooth a transition as possible.  Do let us know how you get on.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 11:32:32 AM by Wrensong »

Jenny23

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2023, 08:16:39 PM »

Wrensong - thank you so much. Here is how I am managing to sleep a little better.
Going to sleep before 10pm. Wake up always at 2am, have not been able to change that :-(…If I can’t fall asleep then I listen at low volume to a book like the Code Breaker (the woman Nobel laureate who contributed to the covid vaccine) or something historical that won’t keep you too engaged. I spend the next 4 hours sleeping while listening to soft voice narrating a book on my earphones. Also, in bed when getting ready to fall asleep I only read kindle and not iPhone because phone light keeps me alert. Don’t read news before bed because lots of tragic news are always emphasized. Keeping temperature cold at 20 degrees Celsius. Melatonin helps but it gives me stomach disturbance so I can’t do that. Trying to do calm reading of something nice like the Wisdom of Menopause :-). No stressful conversations before bed. Eating only before 5pm and light meals because heavy meal give me palpitations these days. No red meat at dinner because it rises the heart rate and causes palpitations. If this helps anyone I would be happy.

Please keep me posted how things are with you and hoping for progress for all of us!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 10:38:44 PM by Jenny23 »

Jenny23

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2023, 08:18:04 PM »

Peri2022 - i am so glad that HRT is helping you. I May end up doing the same soon at minimal dose to start with. This journey is not easy.

Wrensong

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2023, 02:24:01 PM »

Thank you Jenny for sharing your strategies for promoting restful sleep.  I also read at bedtime, but good old fashioned physical books rather than anything from a screen.   I've also used meditation tracks & calming music on my MP3 when awake in the night.  And experimented with evening meal times & content to see what works best.  A cool, dark bedroom is a must, I agree.  Good tip about avoiding stressful conversations & distressing news broadcasts close to bedtime.  Like you I can't take melatonin  :(

I hope you will find you continue to manage well.
Wx

Jenny23

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2023, 03:45:49 AM »

Thank you Wrensong. I hear you on the good old fashioned physical books!! Sleep is so important. Key to recovery. Hope we continue to get better. Keep me posted please. Thank you!!
Pages: 1 [2]