Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is this correct?  (Read 810 times)

Dorothy Gale

Is this correct?
« on: October 22, 2023, 08:59:44 AM »

Hi.

Im 49. In perimenopause.

I asked my gp when am I classed as being in menopause?

She said, as I'm 49,  it's 2 years from last period.

:neutral:

I thought the rules were.....12 full months since last period.....then menopause?

What's this 2 years business?!

Xxxx

Nas

Re: Is this correct?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 09:02:15 AM »

I thought it was 12 months from last natural period too?  :o

Has something changed?

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 09:12:50 AM »

Someone good me if you are over 50 it's 12 months, under 50 it's 2 clear years. Crazy really as not many women fit in the ranges of you think of those in early menopause and those ( me😡) in stupidly late not even anywhere near it menopause.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 09:17:50 AM »

She said is because 51 is the average age or something....

Stupid if you ask me coz clearly we are all different.

Annoying too coz having gone nearly 11 months with no period...I thought I  was hopefully nearly there........

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »

Your body will do what it likes regardless of what the nhs says. It's just an arbitrary term used by the nhs to help with safety/contraception issues. Some people go more than a year and then start bleeding again.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 09:30:36 AM »

Your body will do what it likes regardless of what the nhs says. It's just an arbitrary term used by the nhs to help with safety/contraception issues. Some people go more than a year and then start bleeding again.

Hi. Thanks. Yeh I know, it's just for my own knowledge of where I am on my journey...

I know I could start bleeding again......

I just thought I'd ask. Cheers xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 10:23:16 AM »

Periods wax and wane naturally until we reach the last one:= menopause :  anytime from mid-30s though the NHS seems hooked on mean age of 51: however Nature may throw in a curved ball when we need to begin counting from 1 again  ::)

Generally it's 12 months from the last bleed.  It mayB 2 years if 1 requires contraception because it's classed as 'early'.  How long is a piece of string.

Menopause can happen from any age: i.e. some girls never menstruate and a few see periods which then cease.  These R. not usually taken into consideration due to there being underlying causes.  Some GPs are fixed on one needing no periods as well as hot flushes to even be into 'menopause'.  Many don't recognise peri-menopause which is why ADs etc. are prescribed rather than an overall discussion about all symptoms.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »

Thanks CLKD 😊

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 01:10:00 PM »

It is just an arbitrary cut off point.
They define menopause as having occurred if you have two years of no periods naturally (ie, without having a mirena fitted etc), unless you are over 50 when they stop.
Then you only need one year period free to be declared post meno and more than half of women are over 50 when it happens, hence one year being quoted more often.

It means that if your periods stop on your 49th birthday you will be declared post meno on your 51st birthday.
It also means that if periods stop on your 50th birthday you will be declared post meno on your 51st birthday as well.

Common sense tells me you are in between those two groups, so on your 51st birthday you'll have missed enough periods to be post meno too, unless they come back of course!

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 01:15:55 PM »

Thanks. I appreciate your post.

I think I get it now.

X

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 02:00:44 PM »

Hi menopause is 12 months after your last period.

The two years is to do with contraception :

If you are using contraception that does not contain hormones, you will be able to stop using contraception one year after your periods stop if you are aged over 50 years. If you are aged under 50 years, you should use contraception until two years after your periods stop.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 02:04:03 PM »

Thank you Dotty...Hi!

I appreciate your clarification xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »

Dotty  :thankyou: