Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy or not, confused  (Read 2968 times)

Woodsview

Re: Vaginal Atrophy or not, confused
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »

thank you Julia 
I suspect with all the cost savings the vaginal tablets are an ‘alternative’ sourced and used through the NHS  ;)

Peanut31

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2023, 09:30:30 AM »

Hi

This book was recommended to me on here, Me and my Menopausal vagina by Jane Lewis. I brought it from Amazon.

I use vagifem, which really helps me.  My GP gave me a course of two weeks daily, but refused to give me any more than 3 dosages a week as a top up.

I have to buy the remaining dosages from a private menopause clinic.

It is wrong I have to do this, but the GP would not budge on this.

Best wishes

Woodsview

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2023, 10:06:16 AM »

Thanks Peanut, that’s really helpful.
It’s sad that everyone has to work around the ‘system’ that appears not have been updated to match Womens needs, a one size does not fit all.   ;)

Woodsview

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2023, 09:11:58 PM »

Hi

I didn’t manage to wait until after the menopause clinic to sort out the ovestin cream, I was so sore last night I could not sit properly I had to lie on the bed so this morning I rang through and got a telephone doctors appointment.  I spoke with a different GP, summarised what had happened so far and advised that everything was so sore that I was worried that the skin would be compromised soon and asked for Ovestin.  I referenced I had been on this forum and that it seemed a good practice to take the vaginal tablets and use the cream topically albeit a small amount.

the GP said he was not comfortable giving me the cream as well as the vaginal tablets but advised me to stop the tablets after Thursday which is the 14 day loading and then switch to using the cream only but twice a week. he said the cream would deal with both areas, inside and out. My husband got the cream from the pharmacy and it’s not ovestin but a generic estriol  0.01%.

I’ve still got a pale green discharge but so incredibly swollen down below, probably from pre loading now and the very very sore and irritated vulva, right down from top to my bottom So I will use the cream topically until my menopause appointment on Tuesday despite what he says.

I advised in the call that my previous GP appointment had said about a gynaecologist appointment and I asked if this could be arranged, this GP said there was no need as I have my menopause appointment and they will examine me.

I’m fluctuating between being upset with the pain and feeling that my requests were of no value to him, so mad that I can’t control any of this. :-X
the saving grace is the menopause clinic but failing that giving me any joy then my husband said I’m off to the nearest private clinic and sod the cost.   Would I need a menopause expert or a gynaecologist if going private? Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks

Peanut31

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »

Hi

I’m not suggesting you go with the same clinic as me, but I’m with Newson health.

My consultations are via zoom or you can have a telephone consultation, or visit the clinics.

It is expensive though I think my 1st consultation was £295.00 and I was on a waiting list for around 2 weeks.

However, they will listen to your concerns and treat each patient individually.

I made sure I had a list of my symptoms and made some notes, rather than rambling on.

I was given ovestin and also vagifem by the clinic for my vaginal atrophy, as by this time, and after research I know it was vaginal atrophy

However, prior to this I had a bladder scan with my GP, an internal with the nurse (said it was red) and urine samples taken, so armed with this information to give to the clinic.

Plus I had been on antibiotics, thrush cream etc with no success.

What made me book the clinic was I was going on holiday and taking a 9 hour plane journey. There was no way I was going to sit on a plane with the feeling of burning, itchy and wanting the toilet all the time down there.

No one should be suffering in pain like you have described.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you all the best. Xx

Woodsview

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2023, 10:20:09 PM »

Thanks Peanut, I really appreciate the information and support.
I got the Me and My Menopausal Vagina from Amazon, brilliant book, thanks for recommending.  I am almost finished reading it.

hopefully light at the end of the tunnel soon  ;)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:26:10 PM by Woodsview »

Minusminnie

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2023, 07:35:52 AM »

I’ve still got a pale green discharge but so incredibly swollen down below, probably from pre loading now and the very very sore and irritated vulva, right down from top to my bottom So I will use the cream topically until my menopause appointment on Tuesday despite what he says.

Would it be worth making an appointment with your local  GUM/Sexual Health clinic to test the green discharge.  They may pick up on something that your GP hasn't done.  Even if it was just second opinion or to rule anything out.

Woodsview

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 09:23:19 AM »

I didn’t realise you could do that, thanks for the flag.  I will look into that
thank you  :)

Ayesha

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »

Your GP's have not been helpful have they! You have an upcoming appointment with a menopause clinic and they are the one's that should help you finally get to the end of your horrible symptoms.

If not the GUM clinic is the next best thing for you, my friend years ago had great results from them when GP's had no idea what her condition was, her VA was made complicated by eczema which only the GUM clinic diagnosed.

Anyway, this is all done free, you should not have to pay privately for something that is readily available to most of us.

Woodsview

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2023, 12:15:08 PM »

Thanks Ayesha
Almost indifference from the last GP which is disappointing.
It’s really good to know there is more than one place to seek advice.  I’m really glad I posted as without it I would not have learnt so much.   :thankyou:

Jules

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 01:31:03 PM »

I didn’t realise you could do that, thanks for the flag.  I will look into that
thank you  :)
In my area, the NHS trust do a postal swab test system. You get swabs and blood yourself and they test it.

I don't understand why he wouldn't let you use vagifem and ovestin. I'm using both. Vahifem ir equivalent alternate nights and ovestin every night. My GP told me if she gets VA she'll be on it straight away. There's no parity across GP services is there.

Woodsview

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2023, 04:21:49 PM »

Hi Jules
That’s a good service to have  :)
Other than the GP saying he felt uncomfortable there was no explanation, if he were in my shoes with sore everything he would feel even more uncomfortable,

I’ve ignored what he said and used the estriol cream along with the vaginal tablet and everything is feeling a little better, a lot of inflammation has reduced, but still more time needed I think. Im onto the twice a week officially but as I’ve got the menopause appointment that hopefully will change as I’m nowhere near ok.  If I hadn’t got this menopause appointment coming up I probably would have given more pushback but hopefully I will get a confirmed diagnosis and a better treatment plan on Tuesday,  I am wondering if there’s more to it than VA.

Jules

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »

Hi Jules
That’s a good service to have  :)
Other than the GP saying he felt uncomfortable there was no explanation, if he were in my shoes with sore everything he would feel even more uncomfortable,

I’ve ignored what he said and used the estriol cream along with the vaginal tablet and everything is feeling a little better, a lot of inflammation has reduced, but still more time needed I think. Im onto the twice a week officially but as I’ve got the menopause appointment that hopefully will change as I’m nowhere near ok.  If I hadn’t got this menopause appointment coming up I probably would have given more pushback but hopefully I will get a confirmed diagnosis and a better treatment plan on Tuesday,  I am wondering if there’s more to it than VA.

Reading this forum there seems to be a range of severity of symptoms. I didn't have any discomfort but had a tendency to UTIs particularly after sex but also I could see vulval atrophy too. These changes are difficult to seal with especially when you had no idea they were possible.

Minusminnie

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 07:46:36 AM »

Hope that you get some answers at your meno clinic appointment today Woodsview.

Woodsview

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2023, 08:51:24 AM »

Thanks Minusminnie, it mid afternoon so not long now  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3