Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Do you need to 'pop' the Utro capsule with a pin before vaginal insertion?  (Read 646 times)

Petra

I was just checking out the site of my very own meno doc (I'm in NZ) and reading her info sheet on Utrogestan and saw this: "It is possible to use the same capsules vaginally - you simply pop them with a pin and then insert them as high as you can inside your vagina at bedtime. They are placed high-up because we are trying to get as near to the womb as possible because that’s where we want it to act." (link: https://menodoctor.com/pages/what-is-it)

I'd never heard this before and, what's more, in recent personal advice to me, she didn't mention the pin popping, just  how to insert vaginally. (I've been using the vaginal route for nearly 3 weeks — without pin popping — and am noticing increased breast tenderness...that was what I was trying to research, i.e. why that would happen with vaginal route but not oral — in case anyone has any ideas on that.)

Anyone else heard of the pin popping?

sheila99

I've use it vaginally, never heard of pin popping. Given that it all comes out in the morning the casing has to have dissolved on it's own

Petra

I've use it vaginally, never heard of pin popping. Given that it all comes out in the morning the casing has to have dissolved on it's own

That was my thinking, too.

Penguin

No pin pipping needed, it definitely dissolves!

Hurdity

Re: Do you need to 'pop' the Utro capsule with a pin before vaginal insertion?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 11:30:45 AM »

The capsules are manufactured for both oral and vaginal use - the same preparation, though for some bizarre reason to do with licesning they are marketed and sold separately in UK - the 200 mg capslues for vaginal use for fertility, and the 100 mg for oral use - for HRT. Definitely no pin popping! Surely that would make it run out too quickly?!

Hurdity x

Sage 🍃

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 12:57:54 PM »

I had a chat with Menodoctor AI on that website. This was the answer 'he' gave me:  ;D

I have just spoken to our doctors about your question and the "pop it with a pin" advice is correct. You don't have to do so but some women find it helps with absorption. So you don't need to do so but if you are having problems with absorption then it may be worth trying

thanks

Dan Dear
Menodoctor

Petra

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 10:56:54 PM »

I had a chat with Menodoctor AI on that website. This was the answer 'he' gave me:  ;D

I have just spoken to our doctors about your question and the "pop it with a pin" advice is correct. You don't have to do so but some women find it helps with absorption. So you don't need to do so but if you are having problems with absorption then it may be worth trying

thanks

Dan Dear
Menodoctor

Oh, I hadn't seen that the site had an AI. That's a little spooky. Thanks for the report. Though how would you know if you were having trouble with absorption, I wonder?