Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Alcohol and utrogestan  (Read 841 times)

CarolineM

Alcohol and utrogestan
« on: October 14, 2023, 08:03:20 PM »

Quite an unimportant query really, compared to the awful things some people on here are going through.

I've been on Evorel 50 + Utrogestan for 2 months now and it's going well so far. I've not had any alcohol in that time because I've been trying to lose weight. Next month I'm away for a music weekender and am wondering about drinking.

Previous HRT has been Femosten, Evorel Sequi and Evorel Conti and I've not had any problems with alcohol and the progesterones in those, but I've no experience of Utrogestan + alcohol.

Thinking it should be fine in moderation, but just wondering if anyone has been particularly badly affected by alcohol when taking Utrogestan?

Thanks for reading,

Caroline     

Hurdity

Re: Alcohol and utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:18:56 AM »

Hi Caroline

When I first started HRT I was using Cyclogest for many years, cyclically and alcohol definitely affected me when I was on that part of the cycle - but I was on a very high dose (400mg) which I didn't know at the time was way too much, so this could have been the reason.

Since menopause anyway I cannot take much alcohol but still enjoy a couple of small drinks at the weekends (and of course at Christmas spread throughout the day!). Since that time and taking utrogestan - I haven't noticed a particular sensitivity though if I say have 3 small drinks and too close to going to bed - it sometimes triggers a migraine.

I think if you are not used to drinking then just be careful. Don't drink too much, drink plenty of water and stop drinking well before you go to bed - but that's only based on my experience! Some women of my age ( ancient!) happily drink wine without any effect though I have no idea if they are on HRT....

Enjoy the festival or gig or whatever it is you're going to!

Hurdity x

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 08:34:55 AM »

I do find the utrogestan stage of my cycle more dehydrating, probably because progesterone is a diuretic and we are adding possibly more than the body would naturally make. I drink more and wee more during those 12 days. If I drink (rarely these days, and even then only one glass) I am more likely to wake up in the night,  or a headache in the morning. Maybe just make sure you are drinking more water to compensate for any alcohol you drink, which is a good thing to do anyway.

CarolineM

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »

Thank-you Hurdity and Penguin, think it's best to take it easy and that won't be a problem. Last year it was a pint after breakfast kind of weekend and the thought of that fills me with dread now!
Thanks x