Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Peri and gums  (Read 1008 times)

Slinks27

Peri and gums
« on: October 17, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »

Having some real trouble with sore swollen gums. My dentist says they look OK but just seem to be getting worse and I'm sure there's something in most toothpaste that I have become allergic to. Also past few days my eyes are swollen and really dry. Has anybody had any problems like this and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Ana21

Re: Peri and gums
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 01:12:11 PM »

Hi Slinks27!

If you think your toothpaste is the culprit, a good place to start is to switch to a toothpaste safe for people with perioral dermatitis, such as children's toothpaste.  They are typically fruit flavoured, do not contain fluoride, propylene glycol, cocamidopropyl betaine (CAPB), strong flavourings such as mint or cinnamon, or essential oils that can trigger allergic reaction.

Our gums change with age.  I now have to floss several times a day and use a WaterPik to maintain gum health.  I have my teeth cleaned every 5 months.  I have healthy gums and I'd like to keep it that way, but I've become high maintenance as I near 60.

If you scroll down, you'll find a list of common toothpaste allergens here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922711/

And a very brief article on perioral dermatitis and toothpaste choice:
https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-fluoride-free-toothpaste-weleda-review-2017.html

My local health food store sells a variety of toothpaste that meets the criteria, such as Weleda and Tom's of Maine. 

Let us know if a change in toothpaste eases your gum inflammation and other allergy symptoms.

Slinks27

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 01:39:52 PM »

Thank-you for your reply. I've just bought a child's toothpaste but only used it once so far so early days.i also floss a few times a day. I want to go and get a proper clean but until I get this inflammation down I can't. I will also look at some of the other brands you have suggested. Never used to have issues until perimenopause, I'm 47.

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 01:58:56 PM »

Hi

I feel your frustration as I've never had this issue until perimenopause. It's definitely a 'thing'.

My dentist gave me antibiotics but I knew they weren't infected just aggravated I'm sure by my drier mouth and hormones going mad.

I've done nothing but Google 'perimenopause and gums' the last few weeks and lots of explanation as to why we get issues with our teeth and gums and information on how to help. Basically stepping up oral health, telling the dentist you're in perimenopause etc.

You're definitely not alone in this. Extremely annoying symptom to add the list.

The dry eye thing too...yep. I need to use eye drops all through the night....not so much in the day. I use Hycosan Extra drops. They are very soothing.

We are more susceptible to allergies, infections, inflammation now as things dry up....so know that it's a thing...you did right seeing the dentist. I'd avoid really strong mouthwashes etc. I use salt rinses on my sore gums which helps get inflammation down in a natural way. Not so hard on the brushing. Flossing gently. Don't over do it as that can irritate gums more.

A gentler toothpaste might help.

X

Ana21

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »

Oh the dry eyes!  What a nuisance.  Peri brought dry eyes (due to meibomian gland dysfunction) and the need for glasses.  So incredibly annoying!   My favourite drops are Thealoz Duo and prescription Olopatadine drops for allergy season.  I had to buy a bigger purse to accommodate all these things I didn't need before menopause.  I have a standing referral to a dry eye clinic but I haven't needed it yet.  I'm coping with the drops so far.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 03:47:12 PM »

Sodium Laurel Sulphate is in many products including toothpaste.  If I use it B4 breakfast: chocolate, bananas, 🍌, fruits cause my mouth to burn immediately. 

My dentist explained that as we age and maybe eat less hard foods, that the gums recede = possibility of tooth loss.  Also the jaw requires: as does our long bones: exercise to remain healthy.

Sore swollen gums aren't healthy!  My dentist this afternoon gave my implant area a very hard prod as it's developed infection, the tooth has been removed from the top of the implant - I poked it with my brush and a fork last week  :o :(.  I've now got a 10 day course of ABs and he will give it a deep clean next week. 

Using salt water mouth rinses can help too  :-X

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 04:30:07 PM »

Same here with sodium laurel sulphate, I buy the version of sensodyne that doesn't have it in. Need to read the tiny labels though as not all sensodyne are SLS free.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 05:01:40 PM »

Even the Sensodyne without can cause burning occasionally which mayB something that I've eaten in the day?

Get chewing girls ...... I've licked a lolly this afternoon  ;)

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 05:03:42 PM »

Even the Sensodyne without can cause burning occasionally which mayB something that I've eaten in the day?

Get chewing girls ...... I've licked a lolly this afternoon  ;)

Oh can it, I didn't know what. What do you recommend then? I get burning in my mouth depending on what I've eaten too.

Slinks27

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 05:55:07 PM »

I've tried synsodyne and corsidyl toothpaste and they both irritated me massively and quite severe.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 05:56:35 PM »

A rinse with very cold water ASAP.  OH I've found crisps up my sleeves  :o  ;D ........ and then I avoid that particular food stuff for 24 hours.

Baby paste then?  and rinse with hot salted water.

Bandango42

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »

Hi

I developed this a few months ago, constant sore gums and mouth ulcers. I was convinced I was going to lose all my teeth! A trip to the dentist later and all was fine but I was low in estrogen, I increased my patch and it all went away. Could you have low estrogen?

xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 08:02:48 PM »

Slinks - see the latest response?

Ana21

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 02:47:26 PM »

More info for those not familiar with the oral changes in meno.

Excerpt from Influence of Oral and Gut Microbiota in the Health of Menopausal Women (2017):

"Fluctuating female sexual hormone levels in menopausal women may represent key factors that respond to changes detected in the oral cavity (Dutt et al., 2013). Menopause is accompanied by decreased bone density, which may have implications for oral health such as the risk of enhanced progression of periodontal infections and tooth loss (Hernandez-Vigueras et al., 2016). According to the literature, sex-related hormonal changes may cause the gums to become more susceptible to plaque and create a much higher risk for gingivitis and advanced periodontitis (Suresh and Radfar, 2004).

Periodontitis is a chronic inflammatory process that occurs in response to an increase in Gram-negative bacteria in the biofilm (Ruby and Barbeau, 2002), affecting the tissues that surround and support the teeth. Specific bacterial species, such as Porphyromonas gingivalis and Tannerella forsythensis, were found to be important in the etiology of periodontitis in postmenopausal women (Brennan et al., 2007). In addition, changes in periodontal status were found to be associated with variations in sex hormone levels (Mascarenhas et al.,
2003), and the occurrence of periodontitis was reported to be greater in postmenopausal women who did not receive hormone replacement than in premenopausal women (Haas et al., 2009). Therefore, from a clinical point of view, the roles of sex hormones and hormone therapy in the prevalence of subgingival bacterial infection in peri- and postmenopausal women are of great interest."

If you want to read more, abstract and link below:

"Sex differences in gut microbiota are acknowledged, and evidence suggests that gut microbiota may have a role in higher incidence and/or severity of autoimmune diseases in females. Additionally, it has been suggested that oral, vaginal, and gut microbiota composition can be regulated by estrogen levels. The association of vaginal microbiota with vulvovaginal atrophy at menopause is well described in the literature. However, the relevance of oral and gut microbiota modulation in the immune system during estrogen deficiency and its effect on inflammatory diseases is not well explored. Estrogen deficiency is a condition that occurs in menopausal women, and it can last approximately 30 years of a woman’s life. The purpose of this mini- review is to highlight the importance of alterations in the oral and gut microbiota during estrogen deficiency and their effect on oral and inflammatory diseases that are associated with menopause. Considering that hormone replacement therapy is not always recommended or sufficient to prevent or treat menopause-related disease, we will also discuss the use of probiotics and prebiotics as an option for the prevention or treatment of these diseases."

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2017.01884/full

Ana21

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 02:57:44 PM »

CLKD, sorry to hear you have a gum infection and require ABs.  Hope it clears up soon.  I also like salt-water rinses and use salt with my WaterPik.

A postmeno friend, who takes very good care of her teeth, required two gum grafts.  Her dentist attributed it to changes due to meno, not something she had done or not done.  I'm trying to be proactive and avoid those problems.  Time will tell.