Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Polyps  (Read 685 times)

Ruby1244

• First Flush
Polyps
« on: October 16, 2023, 05:32:36 PM »

Hi newbie here. I wondered if you can please help me. I'm 51 going through Perimenopause, and the last year or so my periods are erratic (missing one month, then two in there weeks etc). September this year I had a two and half week period which Doctor said was all to do with Peri. (he gave me Norethisterone, which stopped the period). I also told him I feel quite dry and burning down below, which he asked me to go in and get checked by the nurse (I'm upto date with smears). Nurse told me everything looked fine, and it looks like it may be Vaginal atrohpy as well, but to do a sample urine. Which came back blood in urine from the lab, and the swab she took showed I also have thrush, which after treatment cleared up. A week later still microscopic blood in urine, so Doctor sent me for an urgent Oncology scan, which was last Wednesday,  which showed small kidney stones (cause of blood in urine) then the TV showed I have a fibroid and a polyp (which could be cause of long period), but nurse said everything else looked normal and nothing sinister. Anyway, doctor phoned me Friday afternoon and told me that there is a polyp and my endometrium lining was 7.7mm which although he said was under 10 mm, it's not usual to be that considering I'm  other menopausal yet. Told me he's sending me for an urgent cancer 2 week gynecologist appointment, and he couldn't give me false reassurances. Came off the phone and cried like a baby terrified. An hour later I remembered, so I phoned doctors receptionist to tell her, surely day 19  on menstrual cycle on day of scan, my lining will be getting thicker, as due on in about 6 days??? She asked doctor and she phoned me back to tell me doctor says "right ok, no problem, but I still need her to go gynecologist. I'm terrifind and worried sick now, that this could be something sinister. I know I'll probably have the polyp removed, but so upset. I have no other symptoms. Please reassure me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Polyps
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 05:41:52 PM »

Hi newbie here. I wondered if you can please help me.

:welcomemm:  ....... and breath.!!   Glad that the thrush cleared - which treatment were you given?  It seems that your GP has followed through to make sure that this isn't all 'peri' related.  Symptoms can and sometimes do overlap  ::).  Particularly with vaginal atrophy which mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really, really well. 

Get some appropriate VA treatment lined up for after the scan.  The idea is to use every night: usually 'vagifem' and/or 'ovestin', inserted into the vagina.  Some need every night a long time, others manage: after the 2-3 week loading period : with a couple of times a week.  'ovestin' or other moisturisers can be used on the outer labia as well as 'vagifem', I use 'ovestin' to keep the labia moist so that they don't itch!

I'm 51 going through Perimenopause, and the last year or so my periods are erratic (missing one month, then two in there weeks etc). September this year I had a two and half week period which Doctor said was all to do with Peri. (he gave me Norethisterone, which stopped the period).

I also told him I feel quite dry and burning down below, which he asked me to go in and get checked by the nurse (I'm upto date with smears). Nurse told me everything looked fine, and it looks like it may be Vaginal atrohpy as well, but to do a sample urine.

Which came back blood in urine from the lab, and the swab she took showed I also have thrush, which after treatment cleared up. A week later still microscopic blood in urine, so Doctor sent me for an urgent Oncology scan, which was last Wednesday,  which showed small kidney stones (cause of blood in urine) then the TV showed I have a fibroid and a polyp (which could be cause of long period), but nurse said everything else looked normal and nothing sinister. Anyway, doctor phoned me Friday afternoon and told me that there is a polyp and my endometrium lining was 7.7mm which although he said was under 10 mm,

it's not usual to be that considering I'm  other menopausal yet. Told me he's sending me for an urgent cancer 2 week gynecologist appointment, and he couldn't give me false reassurances.
.    this is usual for unexplained bleeding, if the womb lining is above 5mm, and 2 weeks urgent pathway is usual.  He mentioned the C word which has probably thrown you into free fall?  Your Dr is following guidelines, do keep the appt. as usually there is nothing sinister.  And if there is, it can be dealt with.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:49:33 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »

He does seem to have a handle on peri-menopause ...... ask the Practice manager which GP or Nurse Practitioner is au fait with it all.  There are NHS and private dedicated menopause clinics if you run into a brick wall with treatment suggestions.

Let us know how you get on !

Ruby1244

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »

Thankyou.. I was given Canestan Thrush. He should of asked me on the phone where I was on  menstrual cycle, before frightening me about the lining - as I've been told can go upto 16 mm,  but he knows now, that's why it's 7.7mm. I have a lot of anxiety and stress at the moment with all this perimenopause, it's vile!!

Ruby1244

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 05:56:15 PM »

Thankyou I will do

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 06:04:37 PM »

Health anxiety levels can certainly rise as we go into "The Change" - does what it says on the tin  ::)

Ruby1244

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 06:27:17 PM »

Yep, I've definitely noticed a shift in anxiety since Perimenopause.😬

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 10:05:43 PM »

Hi Ruby1244

Polyps increase the womb lining (I had a polyp and my lining was 7mm due to it). 

And also, as you say, the time in your cycle will contribute towards how thick or thin it will be.

The 2 week pathway always seems to be taken in any change to womb, vagina area and breasts, so this is quite a normal route to take.  But this does not mean it is anything sinister.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 10:07:49 PM by VioletAquarius »

Ruby1244

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 08:45:49 AM »

Thankyou for your reply. I think my anxiety is going beserk at the moment. I have to see the Urologists this Friday to discuss scan, so just waiting for Gynea appointment.