Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Strain of Yeast Glabrata  (Read 10454 times)

Brownie

Re: Strain of Yeast Glabrata
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2023, 08:49:47 AM »

Please let us know what they recommend Midnight Shadow. I have looked online + I think pessaries/cream discontinued in UK. I think there is an oral but think for mouth thrush.
Have you used clortimazole (the pessaries) I have used a few but thrush came back but maybe a longer course would work x

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »

You can get Clotrimazole pessaries and the new soft gel pessary OTC.  That was also recommended for the glabrata strain
I heard good results for the gel pessary as it dissolves easier and absorbs with no chalky  undissolved residue coming back out. Hopefully be easier for us with atrophy where the hard pessary doesn't dissolve.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:05:51 AM by Dierdre »

Brownie

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2023, 09:05:33 AM »

I bought a gel pessary to try it, was better I think than hard capsule but thrush still returned for me but hopefully a longer course would do the trick 🙏🤞

Dierdre

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2023, 09:07:54 AM »

I don't think one dose of any of these treatments is enough.

Jenna

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2023, 11:40:28 AM »

Hope you get some answers Brownie. Apparently, you can no longer get Nystatin pessaries from the Doctors. The Practice Nurse who dealt with my request this morning on Ask My GP was going to contact the Gynaecologist to see what else they can recommend. Fingers crossed it is something that works. Take care.

Apparently they are unlicensed, but they are available, Midnight Shadow. Have a look here where they are listed:

https://www.selondonjointmedicinesformulary.nhs.uk/chaptersSubDetails.asp?FormularySectionID=7&SubSectionRef=07.02.02&SubSectionID=A100

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2023, 06:46:27 AM »

Phoned the gum clinic yesterday and the lady said she would get a nurse to ring me back to get a prescription for Nystatin. Well a nurse did ring back and she can't prescribe Nystatin. She suggested long course Fluconazole and Clotrimazole. I seem too be taking 1 step forward and two steps back. Yes, I am improving, so maybe the weekly Fluconazole is now taking effect. Have another 6 to take. It's all very frustrating. Why can't we ladies be prescribed the treatment we need. Have sent another message via Ask my GP. Thinking of trying a Clotrimazole soft pessary as the hard ones don't seem to dissolve properly, as I am so dry from my Atrophy. Replies appreciated.

Jenna

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2023, 07:24:44 AM »

There should be a healthcare professional at the GUM clinic who has the authority to prescribe unlicensed medication, Midnight Shadow. If not, they should know how it can be obtained.

If Nystatin is what is needed to treat Glabrata, then Fluconazole will never eradicate it, as far as I am aware.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2023, 08:33:55 AM »

Hi Jenna, have just contacted the Gum Clinic this morning  lady on the desk said she will get someone senior in authority to give me a call back to see if they will prescribe. Fingers crossed they do. I’ll keep you posted.

Dotty

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2023, 08:48:24 AM »

Hi MidnightShadow have you tried the Canesten internal cream instead of the pessary ? I use that as it feels a lot softer x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »

Hi Dotty, no I haven’t tried Canesten internal cream. Someone recommended the soft Gel Pessaries. I spoke to a lovely senior nurse at the gum clinic who said Clomitrazole is equally as good as Nystatin and does treat Glabrata strain of thrush. Contacting ASK My GP in the morning to get some prescribed, she said she would if I couldn’t get anywhere with the Nystatin. The nurse said to stop Fluconazole as Glabrata is resistant to Fluconazole. Thanks for responding.

Dotty

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2023, 06:55:27 AM »

Thanks for posting that Dolly. Have just sent a message on ASK my GP to see if they can prescribe Clotrimazole Cream or Pessaries. Will keep you posted as to how I get on. Take care.

Dierdre

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2023, 05:29:50 PM »

I've just bought a Caneston Soft Gel pessary to take on holiday, so far no sign of thrush but I'm armed and ready if it comes back with the Clomitrazole pessary. Scared it will burn like hell but no choice, if it's back it's going to be because of resistance to the strain as I've been doing fluconazole for the last 6 months.

Dierdre

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2023, 06:01:48 PM »

Back from holiday 10 days now and had no problems, however started getting clumpy discharge a few days ago so used the Canesten external cream just externally and it seems to have cleared it up and was very soothing. Applied my Ovestin last night and had to wash it off during the night as it was burning me. Today used the Canestin again and that's now burning, maybe should have washed of the Caneston last night before applying Ovestin but it had soaked in hours before.
Just applied my hydrocortisone cream and feels ok, not using anything for a day or two except for Vagifem.
How are you now Midnight Shadow?

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2023, 08:05:02 AM »

Thank you for asking how I am Dierdre. Went to the gum clinic a week last Monday, for another swab to see if thrush has gone. Still awaiting results the nurse did say it can take a fortnight. The first swab and results came back within a week. Still having the ache from 6.15am for about 3 hours and then it goes and I have quite a good day. Aching this morning but did sit quite a bit yesterday playing my keyboard at the carehome. I could set my watch by the ache. It’s as though the muscles are all waking up. Not sure whether is the Atrophy or thrush. Feel annoyed, I have not had the right treatment for my particular strain of thrush for nearly 5 months. If I still have thrush and can’t get Nystatin pessaries I am going to ask about Boric Acid pessaries. Have heard good reports about them. There must be something available to treat this strain of thrush. Probably should have had a longer course of Clotrimazole, but the Doctor wanted to see if I still had thrush. Fed up with it all now. Sorry for the doom and gloom reply. Hope you get relief very soon. Do take care.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4