Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hot Flashes: Precursor to Alzheimer's Disease?  (Read 2056 times)

FayeZ

Hot Flashes: Precursor to Alzheimer's Disease?
« on: October 10, 2023, 03:22:29 PM »

Just came across a worrying article about a study which apparently showed that "Vasomotor symptoms during menopause -- like hot flashes -- were linked to worse Alzheimer's disease biomarker profiles". I've been woken up at nights by night sweats for many years now.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/nams/106584

Also this article: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/common-menopause-symptom-indicate-higher-31151923
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 03:25:15 PM by FayeZ »

Dierdre

Re: Hot Flashes: Precursor to Alzheimer's Disease?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »

I would imagine loss of estrogen is probably the main cause of a lot of age related conditions in women.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 04:16:45 PM »

I havne't read the links yet: who funded the research and is it Peer reviewed? 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 07:48:56 AM »

I havne't read the links yet: who funded the research and is it Peer reviewed?
If you go to the first link it says at the bottom who funded the research and the journal it appeared in which looks repiutable and I imagine, as such, was peer reviewed. You're right to question any of these headlines which can sometimes be sensational or misrepresent the message!

FayeZ it was a longtudinal study which looked at women over a period of time and cannot demonstrate any causal relationships.  I really would not worry but concentrate on doing what you can to keep your brain as active as possible.

I don't know where you are in menopause but if you have been troubled with night swaets for years then HRT will eliminate them in most women - if you are able and willing to take it.

However a more in depth study would be needed to determine whether it is the actual night sweats themselves, or the potential to have them (even if they are eliminated by HRT), that gives the association. For example I had terrible night sweats and hot flushes before starting HRT at age 54 (now aged 70), but I haven't experienced them for years as I still take HRT.

As Deidre says -
I would imagine loss of estrogen is probably the main cause of a lot of age related conditions in women.

Hurdity x

Jules

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 08:29:20 AM »

I have night flushes. Maybe thats why i have to go through the alphabet to remember peoples names! If you read reliable research about possible contributors to alzheimers and other dementia, there are a number. Theyre still exploring what's significant i think. We can only make sure we eat well, exercise, remain social, avoid harmful substances (smoking, drug use, alcohol )  and take care of our health as best we can. Tall order I know. My dad had vascular dementia.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 08:54:39 AM »

Hurdity - that is much appreciated  :thankyou:

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »

My anxiety levels are not good at the best of times without worrying news like this.

FayeZ

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 04:59:13 PM »

It seemed to fit with something I remember a friend talking about a few years ago which might have been this research into possible connections between sleep disruption and Alzheimer's disease symptoms.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Care-and-cure-magazine/Autumn-17/disrupted-sleep

It does say at the end that more research is needed.

I used HRT patches between about 2014 and 2018 (which reduced night sweats to one a night) but then had to stop using them before having a total hysterectomy. I'm now 62 and still being woken up 2 or 3 times a night. I've tried a soya supplement and Promensil red clover without much effect.

I am trying to keep my brain active but do still feel a bit anxious.

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 06:16:42 PM »

FayeZ
I used HRT patches between about 2014 and 2018 (which reduced night sweats to one a night) but then had to stop using them before having a total hysterectomy. I'm now 62 and still being woken up 2 or 3 times a night. I've tried a soya supplement and Promensil red clover without much effect.
I take it this means you are not on HRT now.  Is that an option for you?  I'm early 60s like you & have had total hysterectomy.  I've been on HRT for some years & though it helps with other symptoms, nearly 2 decades on from onset I still struggle badly with overheating every night, currently around 4-5 times a night & of course the dreadful related insomnia.  It's really troublesome & a worry, I agree.  HRT has controlled the overheating much better in the past so that at times I was down to only 1 or 2 a night as you say you were, but I'm currently getting very inconsistent absorption from my patches so in the process of trying to improve that.  I just wondered whether you could consider starting HRT again if there's no contraindication, especially if you're in a position now to take oestrogen only or oestrogen & testosterone, so avoiding the progesterone that's so troublesome for some of us.  Progesterone always made me way too hot & badly worsened the insomnia.  If progesterone was a problem for you too, a regimen free of it might get rid of your night sweats altogether.
Wx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 06:18:19 PM by Wrensong »

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:37:10 PM »

Wrensong,  Can you take oestrogen without progesterone like you said, maybe with testosterone?  Doesn't oestrogen alone encourage thickening of the womb lining!

Jules

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 11:30:13 PM »

My anxiety levels are not good at the best of times without worrying news like this.

Im anxious about health but try not to worry. Supposed links between certain things and disease frequently mentioned and some are tenuous or in the early stages of research or are simply unfounded. We would all be insane if we gave our attention to all of the reported links. My mother tells me about them on a weekly basis, she reads the health section of the daily mail.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 06:39:44 AM »

Wrensong,  Can you take oestrogen without progesterone like you said, maybe with testosterone?  Doesn't oestrogen alone encourage thickening of the womb lining!

FayeZ has had a hysterectomy so she could use oestrogen only HRT.

Taz x  :)

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 08:00:26 AM »

suzysunday
Can you take oestrogen without progesterone like you said, maybe with testosterone?  Doesn't oestrogen alone encourage thickening of the womb lining!
Yes, progesterone is absolutely necessary as part of an HRT regimen for the protection of the endometrium with an intact uterus, but FayeZ stated that she had had a hysterectomy & so I have I.  :)  Even after hysterectomy some women are advised not to take oestrogen without progesterone e.g. if they had endometriosis with the possibility that some plaques still remain after surgery.

I don't know FayeZ's medical circumstances but there may be other reasons it would be unwise for her to resume HRT.
Wx

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »

Thank you Wrensong for the reply.  And Jules, you are right about the constant cause and effect in health matters.  It's best to be aware but not let it all get in your heads

Sage 🍃

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 04:18:46 PM »

Faye said she had endometrial intraepithelial neoplasia (EIN). Regarding the study... why only 'vasomotor symptoms during sleep'? They shoulg have included a control group with vasomotor symptoms during the day so they could rule out disrupted sleep as one of the factors that can influence plasma levels of the Alzheimer's biomarker. I know a woman who sleeps like a log but has a dozen hot flushes during the day. I wish scientists would focus their research on the link between hot flushes and adrenal glands, they secrete neurotransmitters and have a direct effect on the brain.
Pages: [1] 2