Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Annual review-dose reduced  (Read 1007 times)

Kat1960

• First Flush
Annual review-dose reduced
« on: September 29, 2023, 07:51:48 AM »

Had an annual review with practice nurse.
HRT reduced - femeston conti 1mg/5mg to same tabs but now 0.5mg/2mg..She was keen to get me onto patches, but I get allergic reaction, I don't want gel or cream. Tablets suit me fine .  Increased risk factors mentioned on more than one occasion, when you read the literature the increased risks are minimal. I'm 63, no health issues BP is good, exercise regularly, non smoker, reasonable diet. I'm nearly 1 month into reduced dose and I'm have issues with insomnia, flushes at night and hip and knee joints ache a bit, also up to toilet 1 or 2 times overnight.Joint pain disappeared when I started hrt about 11 years ago. Thinking I should return to original prescription??

Penguin

Re: Annual review-dose reduced
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 07:53:13 AM »

Why would they want to get you onto patches, did she have a reason, is it cost saving?

Kat1960

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:59:56 AM »

Because I'm at higher risk of stroke and dvt on tablet form as I'm over 60, But I've read the literature and the increase is minimal

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »

Ah okay. Should totally be your choice and you can make am informed decision once you've read the information on it. Really annoys me when women's hrt gets reduced when it is working, just because of arbitrary things like age.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 09:08:27 AM »

Ring your Surgery this morning and ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  There are waiting lists for both NHS and private appts..  Some are as long as year.

Is there a Nurse Practitioner available - ring your Practice Manager to see if there is a GP/Nurse with menopause knowledge.   You have been told the risks: I would also want to know where this Nurse is obtaining her info from ;-) !!! I am tamping !!!!

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 09:24:49 AM »

There’s no reason for you to change if you’re happy with what you’re on. X

SarahT

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 11:07:26 AM »

I agree, the tablets were working for you on that dose,and now you are suffering symptom recurrence. You have been told the risks, I can't understand why they are willing to half your stability.
I am on a 125 patch which is off license strength,  prescribed by my knowledgeable gp. She told me of the risks that may be involved and it seems to work very well for me.
I would definitely get a second opinion of you can.

I wish you well

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 11:53:35 AM »

I would demand to go back to the original dose.

It was pretty mindless of this medic to suddenly take it upon herself to decide your were a stroke risk.  Did you actually have any say/input?

Sounds like a poor, textbook decision with no substance whatsoever.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 01:51:10 PM »

Don't go back with all guns blazing, explain that despite her advice and the drop in treatment, your symptoms are now unbearable.  Add in plenty of hot flushes as GPs tend to think that loss of periods with hot flushes are peri-menopause!  Let us know how you get on.

Shorty Pants

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 04:46:14 PM »

It does seem that many GP's/health professionals are very risk-averse when it comes to dosages.  I've just had the opposite with my GP, who has agreed a very small dose suits me, but repeatedly warned me that this 'wouldn't protect my bone health'.  She even wrote this twice on my records that she told me and I agreed I accepted this risk.

So maybe it's just the way things are going, but I completely agree with the others, that you have the right to choose the dose that suits you if you're making an informed choice of the risks.  Might just be worth emphasising what you're saying and that you're happy for them to record you accept any additional risks.  Good luck!  It's a shame we live in such a litigious society!  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »

As I understand it transdermal is safer than oral so perhaps she has a point. What patches have you tried? I'm allergic to evorel but not to estradot or oestrogel so you may well find one you get on with.

Kat1960

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 12:40:28 PM »

Update- telephone appt with practice nurse.
Despite me describing my symptoms she wouldn't put me back on my original prescription  but wanted to me persevere. I told her I wasn't prepared to do that so now have a telephone appt with GP booked.

Jules

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »

I've never had systemic HRT  only vaginal. Out of interest. What's the dose in comparison to localised estrogen? I keep being told its low dose but really have no comparison to use.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »

Kat1960 - have a list of your symptoms for the telephone appt, the 1st being is why can't you get a face2face?  In the meantime, ask your Practice manger if there is a GP interested in womens health, particularly menopause.  At the same time that you speak to the GP, ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic: there are waiting lists so getting in is important, you can always cancel the appt closer to the time.

If your GP queries why you want a referral, explain that you would like to speak to a medic with knowledge about peri