Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How will I know when I hit menopause if I'm on HRT?  (Read 1284 times)

Witchinghour

How will I know when I hit menopause if I'm on HRT?
« on: October 07, 2023, 05:23:47 PM »

Just that really... I can't seem to find out!

If I'm on sequential HRT with a bleed each month, how will I know when my periods have actually stopped?

I don't know if it's important to know once on HRT though.

Penguin

Re: How will I know when I hit menopause if I'm on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 05:59:01 PM »

I'd like to know this too!

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 06:01:51 PM »

When you’ve been on hrt for 12 months you can try a continuous regime and see if it works.  If you still bleed on a continuous regime then it’s likely that you are still in peri menopause.

Or you can try a continuous regime when you are 54 ( I think that’s the age), but again not everyone is post menopause at 54.

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:29:29 PM »

Shape of the face in post meno is different from peri and before.  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 06:31:50 PM »

The short answer is that you won't know but I can tell the cycles when my body isn't contributing (hrt induced bleeds are short, light and pain and pmt free).

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 08:29:40 PM »

That sounds interesting. How do you mean?

Taz x

Witchinghour

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 08:30:53 PM »

When you’ve been on hrt for 12 months you can try a continuous regime and see if it works.  If you still bleed on a continuous regime then it’s likely that you are still in peri menopause.

Or you can try a continuous regime when you are 54 ( I think that’s the age), but again not everyone is post menopause at 54.

Ah! That's interesting. Well, I'm only 37 so I'm mostly interested in whether or not I have an 'early' menopause but knowing there's a way to find out is fab!

Witchinghour

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »

The short answer is that you won't know but I can tell the cycles when my body isn't contributing (hrt induced bleeds are short, light and pain and pmt free).

That's what I have at the moment but I understand the point. I'll have to just watch and see. :)

AngelaH

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 09:03:58 PM »

That sounds interesting. How do you mean?

Taz x

Shape of cheeks, I noticed 3-4 months ago my cheeks changed their shape, normally in the morning they look more like before, probably because I take medication in the evening, but by the evening next day they change their shape to post meno look. Look ugly, I don’t like them.   :-\

Koala82

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 09:59:26 PM »

Hi there, you will likely already be suspected of having POI (premature ovarian insufficiency) if your doctor has prescribed hrt at your age of only 37. Have you had any hormone tests?

I don’t believe there is any way to tell if you are post meno whilst on sequential HRT but some of these replies are really interesting. I feel in my heart of hearts that im post meno, but that’s just a feeling 

Witchinghour

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 06:56:44 AM »

Hi there, you will likely already be suspected of having POI (premature ovarian insufficiency) if your doctor has prescribed hrt at your age of only 37. Have you had any hormone tests?

I don’t believe there is any way to tell if you are post meno whilst on sequential HRT but some of these replies are really interesting. I feel in my heart of hearts that im post meno, but that’s just a feeling

I've not gone to my GP. I have an endocrinologist and she's diagnosed perimenopause. I've had 2 blood tests 5 months apart. Both showed below range oestradiol 83 (114-332) and above range FSH 18.3 (3.5-12.5). LH has crept higher in those 5 months too 10.4 (2.4-12.6).

joziel

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 12:42:43 PM »

Your skin doesn't need to change like that if it gets sufficient estrogen. If you're noticing those changes then your skin would benefit from estrogen.

This is why I use Ovestin cream on my face and I also use tiny amounts, left over at the end of each pump bottle of Oestrogel on my face each morning.

Think about it - Ovestin plumps your vagina and moistens it. It's not going to do that only to your vagina. It's going to do that to all skin. There is a lot of research into the use of topical estrogen in skincare coming out. Estriol (ovestin) stays localised and doesn't get absorbed systemically (when used on vagina or face, according to research). Estradiol at the dosage of Oestrogel probably does get absorbed systemically as it's a higher % - but if you use it sparingly combined with a moisturiser I don't see the prob really...

There is nothing 'magic' about menopause except the loss or reduction of hormones. So the sudden skin changes you see are not inevitable and just 'menopause' - they are the result of hormone loss. If you don't lose those hormones, you won't see those skin changes.

I'm also on tretinoin from Dermatica, and their fresh batch vitamin C. The Ordinary Matrixyl 3000, and lots of moisturisers. My skin is looking better and better.