Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Would you go to a menopause cafe/support group?  (Read 1049 times)

RosieRay

Would you go to a menopause cafe/support group?
« on: September 30, 2023, 08:07:39 AM »

I’m thinking of setting up a menopause support group locally. This would be for support but also maybe with speakers and for information if it progressed. But I’m wondering if anyone had done this or attended one? Bizarrely I can’t use the term ‘menopause cafe’ as that is trademarked.

If you attended, what would you want?

Dorothy Gale

Re: Would you go to a menopause cafe/support group?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 08:42:20 AM »

Fabulous idea. We desperately need places like this to be able to go to and if I wasn't bedbound....I'd definitely go if we had one in our area 100% and I think so many women would do too.

For me, what I'd want from it is just support of other women via having a good chat over a nice cup of tea/coffee....biit if cake  ;)

Information would be good like you said from a speaker etc if I takes off...

But mainly I'd just love to be in the company of other women going through the same as me.

X

RosieRay

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 08:50:05 AM »

Yes that’s exactly what I’m thinking - just to be able to chat and support each other. What you’ve said about access is important too and so it could be partly online to include people who can’t come in person

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 09:16:12 AM »

Someone set up a similar group with the support of her GP Practice and pharmacist.  Can't remember where : Cumbria I think : and it worked well.  Then she dropped out of MM.

Make a written plan of what you hope to achieve, how structured you want it to be.  There are many 'groups' for isolated people these days: Man Sheds became Mixed Sheds as demand grew for sharing skills between women/men.  There is a drop in general group every 2nd week locally - plants, magazines, chatter shared for all ages.

Decide how private you would like the group to be as some may be wary of opening up in front of others. 

Yes I would attend, to discuss VA ;-)

Ama

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 12:46:13 PM »

This is a great idea and much needed. I will definitely attend. You

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 01:49:35 PM »

Yes. They tried it in our local town through the day in the week. Fell flat as most ladies interested work so I'd be mindful of that.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 02:39:27 PM »

Several villages in our locality have drop in cafe groups once a week.  This of course involves males and females ....... so mayB you could begin thus, to C how well it is attended then diversify if enough ladies are interested?  U need to take into account the cost of a venue.

Perhaps ask at the Leisure Centre, Library or even GP Surgery to see if that might be an option. 

Minusminnie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 02:58:12 PM »

U need to take into account the cost of a venue.

Perhaps ask at the Leisure Centre, Library or even GP Surgery to see if that might be an option.

One idea that might work for you.
A group has been set up local to us where the person running it is a volunteer for a charity that have their own venue.  She is running the menopause group at no cost except for coffee, tea etc at this venue because she is a volunteer there.  At times to fit in with the charity.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 03:10:33 PM »

:thankyou:

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 04:53:37 PM »

I’m thinking of setting up a menopause support group locally. This would be for support but also maybe with speakers and for information if it progressed. But I’m wondering if anyone had done this or attended one? Bizarrely I can’t use the term ‘menopause cafe’ as that is trademarked.

If you attended, what would you want?
  I did attend one briefly and then Covid arrived and it had to stop. I did find that most of the women there were quite a bit younger and in peri rather than fully menopausal but it was interesting.

Tulip123

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 09:03:48 PM »

We had one of these in work for the first time last month as we have a lot of women around this age. It was very useful. Unfortunately I seemed to be the worst with severe pain and bleeding symptoms but it was good for me to talk to others. There were managers there who are now coming up with a work policy on how to deal with these issues. I felt very alone before this and it helped me to talk to others about it. My mum lives abroad and I have no friends nearby. I think for women who are struggling, it is a good thing to have some kind of support network.

We're planning to continue ours every 2 months or so.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 08:12:53 AM »

That's a big thumbs up Tulip123 .  Does your Company have a Nurse?

vintagefiend

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »

I think it's a lovely idea, RosieRay  :)
Purely from a personal point of view, I'm at the point where I've become extremely isolated because of the mood and energy issues meno has wrought, and I crave the company of women who understand.
I like the idea of something quite informal, just menopausal women getting together to chat about meno or indeed anything!!
I'm less interested in information from experts etc- probably because I've been post-meno for a while and have become extremely jaded by it all (having tried so many different gels/patches/pills!!)
But I totally understand the benefits that being armed with information could bring, particularly for those in peri and earlier menopause.
Good luck

Nas

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 10:38:19 AM »

We have one set up in my town.
I can never go, as I am at work when it’s on  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 11:13:31 AM »

NAS - R U in contact with the group, it may be that some would like an evening or weekend slot .........