Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Finding a supportive medical practise  (Read 703 times)

Elen

• First Flush
Finding a supportive medical practise
« on: October 07, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »

Hello everyone
I’m writing this after receiving some very helpful advice on the post-menopausal section but putting it here because it affects all of us.

How do I go about finding a woman-friendly GP practise?  The one I belong to currently seems very old fashioned in its approach.  I’d rather use NHS if possible as I don’t have private health care insurance and would have to pay for any consultations out of my very limited resources but frankly I’m desperate.

I live in rural East Anglia.

Ideas please!

Ayesha

Re: Finding a supportive medical practise
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 01:34:08 PM »

Most good surgeries will have a website with all the staff mentioned including the GP's. Get a list of the surgeries in your area and do an online search, there you should see the practices with female GP's listed if that's what you might prefer. But a good place to start I think!

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 02:27:05 PM »

I think that you are meant to find a surgery that is within your catchment area.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 02:43:15 PM »

Yep.  In case of a night time emergency?

As mentioned in another thread, our Surgery doesn't list the GP who has been to discuss symptoms with Dr Newsom, to bring back here.  I've written [I probably said already] to the Surgery to have a moan  ::)

SarahT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 02:59:46 PM »

Depending on how easy you are, Granta Surgeries, which covers parts of Herts into Cambridgeshire have good female gps, one of whom is very interested in women's health. They set up a menopause cafe, I think has a gp in there,  in one of the villages they cover. If that is not too far it may be worth asking if you can attend the cafe even if you are not in their practice?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 03:10:11 PM »

:thankyou:

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 04:55:42 PM »

I think that you are meant to find a surgery that is within your catchment area.
  That certainly applies here. Apart from my current one, I think there are only 2 others in my catchment area and 1 has a generally poor reputation

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 06:38:23 PM »

If you find the answer do let us know. My practise has female gps who are clueless as well as an 'expert' who is far from that. My best appointment was with a male gp who admitted he knew nothing so just prescribed what I asked for, I wouldn't have got it from the 'expert'.