Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Losing it  (Read 1505 times)

Jett

Losing it
« on: September 29, 2023, 04:43:44 PM »

I’m losing it.  Two panic attacks in a week. Eyes so dry they wake me at night feeling like my eyeballs have stuck to my eyelids so wake up feeling like a half shut knife.  Spend the day anxious, in tears, a wreck not able to function.

Mirena is still there. On 3 pumps gel now.  Eye drops and gels were helping but seem to have stopped working.  I am losing the will.

Sorry this is such a moan but it feels hopeless - how do I achieve some sort of balance again. 

I am going to ask to go back on patches they were better than this.  Though how do I find out what’s not right - estrogen level, absorption, Mirena, something else?

Sorry just had to get it off my chest. Thanks all, hope you are all having a better day.

TM73!

Re: Losing it
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 05:01:01 PM »

I’m so sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly. Try and get that GP appointment as soon as you can. Things can and will get better with the right treatment . Big hugs to you x

Jett

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 05:11:46 PM »

Thank you so much xxx

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 05:17:08 PM »

I have thar with my eyes occasionally for a few days at a time. You can get the green hycosan eyes drops for daytime and gel ones you put in at night time only. Both from your optician. They do help, especially the gel. The eyelid sticking to eyeball feeling is horrible 😥

Jett

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »

Thank you Penguin, the Hycosan gel was helping but last night not sure what was going on as it didn’t seem to work.

It’s encouraging you don’t need it all the time, I’m hoping if I can figure out what has aggravated my eyes I can level them out and improve them.  Researching it folk have asked if the Mirena kicks it off and also both too much estrogen and too little has been mentioned- looks like it happens when things are out of balance.

Sending hugs to everyone xxx

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 05:38:23 PM »

Thank you Penguin, the Hycosan gel was helping but last night not sure what was going on as it didn’t seem to work.

It’s encouraging you don’t need it all the time, I’m hoping if I can figure out what has aggravated my eyes I can level them out and improve them.  Researching it folk have asked if the Mirena kicks it off and also both too much estrogen and too little has been mentioned- looks like it happens when things are out of balance.

Sending hugs to everyone xxx

I do seem to get it once a month without fail, same time usually as my finger joints start hurting and I can dry on the outer bit down below. I'd hazard a guess and say low estrogen. However, progesterone is also a diuretic and I find myself peeing for England and very thirsty on the 12 days I take that, so it could be that as well. I'll have to see if there is a patter but it's horrible isn't it.

Ooh also one other thing that works a bit for overall dryness is a humidifier in the bedroom. I have a small one I leave on overnight. Can't say I've noticed if it helps eyes directly but my mouth is less dry!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 06:04:08 PM »

I use eye drops as necessary.  Sometimes my eyes feel gritty and sore .

How do U feel on 3 drops?  It can take 3-6 months B4 the body takes up replacement .

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out. 

SarahT

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 06:19:12 PM »

Hi Jett,

Think loads of us have been in your position..some days\weeks everything crashes. But amazing women on here have always reassured me that the downs are always followed by ups, even if you can't  see it right now.

It can be hard to work out what is right and what is wrong in your regime. Tempting as It is to change everything at once, it may be better to do one thing at a time otherwise wont know what change is the  better bit.

Can you ask your gp for blood tests to check oestrogen levels, I know they may alter a bit during cycles, but it may showing there is a huge difference. If you were happier on patches any not to back on them? Give them a chance to settle before thinking about altering your progesterone if you will still need to. Too much change at once may freak your body out too much at once?

And don't apologise for a moan, we  all.there at some time or another.

Take care

Jett

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 06:33:33 PM »

Thank you for your reply CLKD. It feels like 3 drops doesn’t work any longer.

SarahT thanks to you too for your kind words of support- you have really helped me by suggesting a practical approach of eliminating things one by one.  So that’s what I will do- first step back to the patches and see how that goes.

Thanks to you all in this amazing community you have really helped xxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 06:55:25 PM »

My optician recently advised me to use the drops with eyes open, then close the eyes and run the liquid along the lashes top and bottom: then gently massage the top eye lid towards the nose with a slight downward movement.  Which encourage the liquid to cover the whole eye as well as removing grit etc. gently.

At least 3 times a day and certainly, last thing.

Jett

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 06:01:49 AM »

Thank you so much CLKD I will try this and let you know if it helps any. xxx

Shorty Pants

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 06:38:35 AM »

Just to check, did these symptoms come on after coming off hrt, or at a different time? Problem is, as I know from experience, that GPs put everything down to the menopause, when there could be so many other reasons instead, or in addition to this. 

Just thinking perhaps they might run some comprehensive blood tests? Possible hyperthyroid came to mind. There's a forum by Thyroid uk on health unlocked that is very helpful. Good luck. X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 09:22:35 AM »

If an optician has checked eyes then using drops appropriately should be fine.

What are the symptoms of thyroid disfunction?  I remember a friend developed gold fish eyes which was a sign of over active I think.  She had to undergo surgery. 

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2023, 12:32:07 PM »

My daughter has Sjogrens syndrome which is an auto immune disease that causes dry eyes amongst other symptoms. She uses special eye drops very frequently (sorry can't remember the name).
It's probably not that for you hopefully but just a thought.... hope you feel a bit better soon, anxiety is the pits x

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »

My eyelids stick to my eye balls all night long.

I use the red Hycosan extra drops. I get them from Amazon. About 10 quid. But so worth it.

My eyes go from hellish.....to completely soothed in seconds.

I use about 4 drops each eye.....probably 3 x a night.

I keep eyes shut as too stuck to open, tilt head back, 4 drops on closed eye then blink  blink to get the drops to run down into my eye and that works for me x
Pages: [1] 2