Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Chemical menopause  (Read 612 times)

katyh75

Chemical menopause
« on: September 30, 2023, 09:14:42 PM »

Hi all

I'm in chemical menopause for PMDD type disorder which began with perimenopause. I say type because my symptoms were after my bleed rather than before.

It has really helped overall with my symptoms - I don't feel out of control emotionally and I'm much more level. However! I was on Tibolone for the first 3 months which was ok but I started to have menopausal symptoms such as flushes (with a horrible, fainty feeling), dry vagina and persistent low mood.

I've been swapped over to 50 patches and Utrogestan for the past three and a half weeks and lots of my physical symptoms are gone - hooray! HOWEVER I continue to have a low, flat mood - no ability to enjoy anything, or experience positive emotions really. I never feel just 'fine' or like me.

I tried putting my oestrogen dose up a tiny bit (very sensitive to it) but it gave me horrendous anxiety and palpitations after a few days so I had to put it down.

I'm on an antidepressant which has worked well for me for the past 20 years and the dose has been increased gradually from 30mg to 50mg but still this feeling.

I am very grateful that the chemical menopause has levelled out the fluctuations that were causing such chaos but I just don't know how to get my mood back on track.

sheila99

Re: Chemical menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 07:53:06 AM »

Testosterone might help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 08:01:03 AM »

Morning.  You must be SO relieved!   :foryou:

sheila's advice is worth following up - your GP may not be able to prescribe without contacting a dedicated menopause clinic so do speak with the Nurse Practitioner or GP to find out.

As for dry vagina - have U been prescribed appropriate treatment?

Let us know how you get on.

katyh75

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 02:42:34 PM »

Thank you both. I might have a word with my GP about testosterone.

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 02:47:31 PM »

Another vote for thinking about testosterone - I've had a couple of appointments with a really good NHS meno doctor who is recommending Zoladex to me as I'm having a nightmare with peri - she has specifically said to me Testosterone replacement would be needed on top of Estrogen add back. Really hope you manage to get it and it helps! x

katyh75

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »

Thank you so much.

Zoladex has been a difficult process but once things settle the fluctuations are not there.

I just so hope that I can find HRT that helps and that I can tolerate.