Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT and post-menopausal bleeding  (Read 1140 times)

Elen

• First Flush
HRT and post-menopausal bleeding
« on: September 27, 2023, 05:57:10 PM »

I’m 67 and have been using Estrogel and progesterone for about six years after suffering with bad menopausal symptoms including vaginal dryness (atrophy?), and severe night sweats for many years. I also have a prolapse for which I have a vaginal pessary fitted.

I’ve had two instances of vaginal bleeding, both of which have led to biopsies being taken, which fortunately showed no abnormalities apart from a slightly thickened uterine wall (?).  I have however been advised to stop using HRT and I don’t really understand why as it still seems to be beneficial, particularly with regard to my sex life!  When I asked what I could do instead of HRT, my GP suggested alternative treatments such as Black cohosh as well as a prescribed medication called Clonidine for the night sweats.

HRT has made a huge difference to me and I hate the thought of giving it up principally because I worry that it will kill off what remains of my sex life as well as any chance of a good nights sleep.  However, I feel obliged to do so because of the pressure from my GP and because I am frightened that I am putting my long term health at risk.

I’ve asked to be referred to the local menopause clinic but my GP said they will just say the same thing.  I am at a loss to know what to do.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dotty

Re: HRT and post-menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 06:09:02 PM »

Hi there is no age when you have to come off HRT. The Nice guidelines have changed on this and you can stay on hrt for as long as you want or need to.  Your GP is out of date on the information. X

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 06:58:42 PM »

I would insist on a referral to the menopause clinic, see it as a way of getting a second opinion. I don't think everyone would have same view as your GP. As for black cohosh, that also carries its own issues and, unless you are under the care of a naturopath / functional medicine doctor, you would not be getting any support re dosage, risks etc. I do a lot of natural things in addition to hrt under the care of a functional medicine doctor, and he advised me (prior to starting hrt) that black cohosh should only be taken for six months before needing a break. It is strong stuff. I didn't do well on it and ended up on hrt. But I think what I'm saying is that at least if you get something like hrt prescribed by a menopause clinic then you would be monitored.

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:17:44 PM »

I was tempted to try black cohash but got seriously put off when the side effects mentioned vaginal bleeding.  I don't see why you can't continue with your hrt if you want.

Elen

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 01:46:49 PM »

Thank you all  - I am SO grateful for your thoughtful and kind comments!

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »

I was tempted to try black cohash but got seriously put off when the side effects mentioned vaginal bleeding.  I don't see why you can't continue with your hrt if you want.

I also got a lot of breast discomfort! It really mucked me up.