Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panicking about getting Covid again  (Read 1501 times)

Peri2022

Panicking about getting Covid again
« on: September 25, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »

Hi lovelies. Some of you know that my sudden and severe perimenopause last year was brought on by Covid. It took me a long time to stabilise my health and I’m still not quite there yet, to be honest. I’m not exaggerating when I say it changed my life.

Today my husband has tested positive (for the first time!) for Covid and I have to admit I’m terrified. Obviously I’m worried for him but selfishly I’m also really worried about myself. I just don’t know what I’ll do if this is another huge crisis for me.

We’ve actually been together all weekend and so far I feel ok and am neg but still worried. He doesn’t really believe in self isolating away from me in the house…I mean he’ll make a token effort but not really.

I don’t really know why I’m posting here apart from a plea for sympathy, reassurance and any tips that helped you get thru a Covid infection recently. Thank you so much - it feels good just to vent a bit. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Panicking about getting Covid again
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 04:18:46 PM »

I believe that Covid is mutating.  However, if you've been together then U will either/not catch it.  Whether you have symptoms is another issue.  Do a test, put your mind at rest.  I thought that if I tested positive I would freak.  However:  it was like nothing I had experienced and I didn't feel really ill: I've had worse headaches for example.

How is he feeling?  Many will have carried viruses without being aware.

We isolated by choice, quite simply we didn't have energy to do much at all for 2/3 weeks.  Even cooking, we existed on salads, Bovril hot drinks and Nurofen  ::).   

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 04:24:12 PM »

Covid is on the rise again but everyone I know that's had it said it's the same as a cold now. Two of my grandchildren have had it recently but I didn't get it even after being with them a while before they had tests.
Nobody tests now so you could have had it and not known if you had no symptoms.
You will still have some immunity even if you've not had a recent vaccination. Think they're offering over 65's again and care homes.
What are you're husbands symptoms? Are they the same as a cold.

Jules

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 04:31:34 PM »

I've never had covid despite frequent contact. My son's long awaited and desperately wanted hospital appointment was cancelled today though, consultant has tested positive, apparently.  If he had a cold, he'd probably be at work.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 05:12:11 PM »

But people shouldn't struggle into work with a cold or 'flu or gut upsets - because the risk of passing on viruses remains high.

We tested when we felt ill.  Tests aren't reported though, unless 1 is admitted to Hospital which gives a false statistic because they are supposedly there for other reasons?  Again, the public aren't being well informed.

R people being admitted purely for Covid ..........

Peri2022

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 05:13:08 PM »

Thanks for your messages. I work in healthcare and caught Covid from a patient last year. I was very seriously ill in spite of three vaccinations.

So far my husband just feels like he has a really bad cold and severe fatigue. I have no symptoms and am testing negative. I’ll continue to test daily and am going to keep a low profile for the next few days.

In my experience (and as this thread shows) people can have vastly different journeys thru Covid! Fingers crossed this time around doesn’t kill my ovaries for good, if I get it again.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 05:15:56 PM »

We tested every 3rd day.  Extreme tiredness was the main symptom for us, we would have won Golds for sleeping  ::)

Jules

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 06:07:12 PM »

My son doesn't care, he would keep his appointment if the doctor was fit to work. He is desperate.  It will be December now before he gets an appointment.  We went to work with minor illness. I worked for social services  and then further education.  There was no chance we rang in sick unless we couldn't function

Peri2022

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 06:30:38 PM »

Hi Jules, I’m so sorry to hear about the delay in your son’s treatment. It must be incredibly frustrating. I hope he gets seen soon.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 06:42:48 PM »

Sounds like a good excuse to book yourself into a nice spa hotel 😁

Peri2022

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 07:07:16 PM »

Sounds like a good excuse to book yourself into a nice spa hotel 😁

Haha, if only! He did suggest that I go away for a few days but I’m going to hang around to make sure he’s ok. Like most men, he’s not great at handling illness…I think he invented the term man flu!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »

Also if U R a carrier of any virus ......... and if you go away, would you settle?

How is he feeling this evening?

Jules

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 10:05:42 PM »

Hi Jules, I’m so sorry to hear about the delay in your son’s treatment. It must be incredibly frustrating. I hope he gets seen soon.

It's just an uphill battle getting up a waiting list now and then when you get there,  it's strike action, consultant on holiday or ill.   I hope you stay well. I've started thinking I must have some natural resistance to covid. A common cold however knocks me for six.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2023, 10:08:24 PM »

Many are carriers for viruses and like us, U may get in time.  Our 1st encounter was end of July, after all this time!

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 07:28:16 AM »

Just to say you're not alone in feeling understandably scared.

I got covid in February and haven't recovered. My perimenopause symptoms hit me so severely very soon after and like you, its been hell.

I don't think I would be suffering this badly with perimenopause if I hadn't got covid. It definitely kick started it aggressively and much more prematurely.

I'm terrified of my partner bringing home covid again. I'm bedridden as I have M.E too so if I got it again....doesn't bear thinking about.

But, its out of our control.

Just wanted to say I hope it goes OK and that you're not alone and how you feel is completely normal given what you've been through.

Hugs xxx

Pages: [1] 2