Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Starting continuous hrt  (Read 492 times)

Bandango42

Starting continuous hrt
« on: September 26, 2023, 08:06:59 AM »

Hi ladies

I increased my hrt to 100mg about 6 weeks ago due to a return of symptoms. Since then I have been bleeding almost continously so dropped back down to 75mg a week ago. I am still bleeding. I am currently halfway through my 200mg progesterone for 12 days.

I have just spoken to my gp to request that I up my progesterone to 300mg for 12 days to try & curb the breakthrough bleeding (going by symptoms I need the higher dose of oestrogen) but he said no and has asked me to try 100mg continously. Reading many posts on here, it seems continuous progesterone causes more erratic bleeding than sequential, if you are not post menopause, which I am not. I am still in peri and 43.

He did say it was up to me whether to stay on continuous or go back to sequential after 3 months but I'm worried that this is going to make things worse, not better.

Has anyone in peri switched to continuous and it worked to control bleeding? I'm not convinced. I did say the BMS guidelines are to increase progesterone to 300mg on higher doses of oestrogen but he just ignored me and said no, try 100mg daily.

He's also booked me in with a female gp to be examined due to some bleeding after sex and said based on the results he will probably book me in for a scan.

Any advice appreciated x

FlowerPot

Re: Starting continuous hrt
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 09:17:04 AM »

I am peri and was prescribed 100mg continuous progesterone by a menopause consultant to suppress my cycle due to severe hormonal migraines.

Along with 1-2 pumps of Oestrogel, I have been taking it since Jan and apart from a light bleed which lasted about 2wks in March, I haven't had a period since. Previously I was still having fairly regular periods apart from the odd missed one here and there. I wasn't bleeding continuously though so may be different but just wanted to share that it worked for me.

Hope you find a solution x

Bandango42

Re: Starting continuous hrt
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:45:55 AM »

Hi flowerpot

Many thanks for responding. It's good to know the regime has worked for you, although I think I may be on a much higher dose of oestrogen than you (not sure what 1-2 pumps equates to on patches, think it might be about 50mg?).

Im just not convinced that 100mg per day of progesterone is enough for 100mg of oestrogen, and the erratic bleeding will continue. I can only try though and if it doesn't work, will have to go back to sequential and drop my oestrogen.

But it's reassuring to hear that you've been fine on it, so thank you x