Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just starting out  (Read 777 times)

Pater01

Just starting out
« on: September 22, 2023, 01:15:28 PM »

Hi all

So after months of symptoms, insomnia, nausea, achy joints, dry everything, anxiety I have finally been prescribed hrt.  I am 46 (47 in a few months).

I was on a combined pill (Rigevidon) but will come off that and go straight onto EVOREL SEQUI 2 x weekly.  Dr thought this was best option as easiest for a person starting out.

Dr confirmed that it would be 2 patches a week, which I believe changes 2 weeks one dose and 2 weeks another.  Didnt get the dose (duh!).

I have a few questions for people on patches.  What days do you change yours and whereabouts do you put them.  I am thinking upper thighs (alternating).

Also can anyone recommend any shampoo products for itchy hair that they have found works for them.

Thanks everyone.

Pater01

Re: Just starting out
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 01:19:42 PM »

Oh and also does it matter when you put them on (time of day), I would imagine most put them on and change them mornings?

trandall

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »

Welcome 🤗 glad you have joined us you will get lots of support here. I have been on Evorel Sequi for over a year now and thought they alleviated most symptoms quite quickly so fingers crossed for you too. I change Monday and Thursday in the mornings. Just easy after my shower so find that best. So yes everol 50 Monday Thursday Monday Thursday then move to everol conti Monday Thursday Monday Thursday 👍 I’m sure that’s it 😂 good luck oh and use baby oil to remove the sticky residue which can be left on my buttocks. I go swimming so prefer it to be hidden x

Pater01

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 01:48:46 PM »

Ah thank you trandall, good to know exactly what I need to do.

I also assume periods once settle come on 3rd of 4th week.  I know this will take time initially as coming off pill.

Thanks

Dorothy Gale

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 02:05:32 PM »

Let us know how you get on. All the best x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 02:05:48 PM »

:welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of help to chart progress.  Let us know how you get on.

Pater01

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 05:09:26 PM »

Trandall did you start the treatment when your period was due?  It says take first patch within five days of period.  As I am on a combined pill I would have to wait until next bleed which is three weeks away. Gp just start when you want, so confused now.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 08:44:46 AM »

Hi pater01

:welcomemm:

I change my patches every 3 days but I am on separate oestrogen and progesterone so this won;t work for Evorel sequi, but for years I changed 3 days or 4 days. However to even it out one of the days eg Monday I would chsnge in the morning snd then Thursday would be the evening so it was nearer to 3.5 days per patch. 

I have only ever applied to butt cheeks though this may be more difficult with some of the weird styles of knickers that are available now ie it is preferable for the part of the butt where the patch is, to be covered by the knickers and then less likely to be rubbed off my clothing and pulling jeans down etc!

When I remember to remove the black marks I use "rubbing alcohol" as less greasy than baby oil and just evaporates without leaving a residue.

Re when to start. If your current combined pill causes a bleed then I would suggest starting the evorel patch (the evorel 50 ones ie oestrogen only) on Day 1 of the bleed as that normally defines the cycle, or perhaps a day or two before the bleed is due to start depending on how your pill cycle works? This might mean that your first bleed after starting Evorel sequi comes after the end of the last combi patch but you can always tweak the HRT patch cycle if you end up being out of sync with your own cycle?

All the best with it anyway!

Hurdity x

Cosmicgirl

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 09:36:46 PM »

Hi, I'm new to hrt too, have only been on it about 6 weeks. I've just turned 48 and along with your symptoms, my periods were starting to get a bit all over the place so the doc prescribed me the evorel sequi patches.

I was told I could start whenever but chose to start on day 2 of my period thinking I'd get my bleed 4 weeks later. I ended up getting my period between patch 3 and 4 which I wasn't expecting. This month same thing is happening, I'm due to put on patch 4 (the last of the just estrogen dose) tomorrow morning and period has just started.

I've been doing the patches every Sunday morning and Wednesday night (3.5 days) and setting my alarm so I don't forget and put them on my upper thigh so I can see at a glance they haven't fallen off. They're definitely helping my joint pain, night sweats and (to a point) my insomnia and anxiety but I'm not completely sold on them just yet as period is very heavy and still getting PMT rages but I know it's early days and hoping things might settle down more after a few more months.

Good luck with it all x

Pater01

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »

Thanks for reply cosmicgirl.  My period (or bleed from pill) isn’t due until two weekends time.  Not sure I can wait that long to start.  GP said the same to me start whenever but it was a telephone consultation and she probably didn’t know the instructions , but reading them it says start within five days of period starting.  So I wonder should wait so that like you a get eventually a regular bleed.  It does say on instructions you should get a bleed on third or fourth patch so I think your periods seems about right?  Just don’t know what to do for best.  I know first few months bleeds will probably be screwed up anyway.  But want to get it close to natural cycle as possible.  I think I have to wait and grin and bear it for a few more weeks!

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 07:46:45 AM »

Regarding itchy hair/ scalp I am plagued with this at the moment too! I don't know whether it's hormonal - I guess it could be. If anyone has any shampoo recommendations please let the both of us know.

Minusminnie

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 08:05:16 AM »

I use Simple Gentle Cleansing Shampoo especially after i've had a hair cut (short hair) and need to wash my hair more often.
After a while i can switch back or interchange with my regular Green Apple shampoo.

I also avoid all products except the shampoo offered at the hairdressers as anything else can start my scalp itching.