Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt problems  (Read 548 times)

shakilla

Hrt problems
« on: September 21, 2023, 06:02:51 PM »

Hi
I increased my hrt from 75 to 50 a couple of months ago as had itchy skin. Ever since I've noticed lots of hair shedding constantly. And have noticeable bald patches now. I reduced om saturday back to the old dose of 50. Despite my gp saying that the increase should help with hair loss. Anyway the hair shedding has almost stopped since this but I'm now getting terrible hot flushes and hormonal rages which I wasn't getting two months ago on this dose. So I'm at a loss what to do. Will this settle down and is it a result of the sudden drop or is that my body needs the higher dose.  It feels like I've got to choose between going bald or horrible meno symptoms. Any advice would be great. X

Hurdity

Re: Hrt problems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »

Hi - do you mean you increased from 50 mcg to 75 mcg or decreased from 75 mcg to 50 mcg?

I presume these are patches? What are you taking for the progestogen and have you incresed this too? Are you peri or post-meno?. As far as I understand oestrogen per se does not cause hair to shed and hasd the opposite effect though I seem to remember there was a dicussion about this recently on the forum. Potnetially the way that HRT is taken externally perhaps it can have the opposite effect? Some progestogens can lead to hair loss as a side effect.

If you sre getting hot flushes on the lower dose then you do need to increase and perhpas you could compromise by cutting the 75 mcg patch down to approx 62.5 mcg which is what I do?

Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Hurdity x

shakilla

Re: Hrt problems
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 06:05:53 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
I take uttogestan and was increased to 75 from 50 but have a lot of shedding at this dose and have noticable bald patches on one side of my head . On 50 I don't have any shedding but get hot flashes.
I do have lupus and autom immune disease so am wondering if it's the extra oestrogen triggering a flare