Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and panic  (Read 2115 times)

Dawn3129

Anxiety and panic
« on: September 20, 2023, 07:07:28 AM »

I'm 46, on hrt but had been on anti anxiety meds most of my life. When I hit meno I tapered and felt great but for the past 6 months my anxiety has been through the roof.
My gp prescribed duloxetine and I've been on it 5 weeks with no real change. Do I keep on or try something different I'm miserable and unable to function.

Penguin

Re: Anxiety and panic
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »

What anxiety med were you taking before? Can you go back on the same on? They say it takes 6 weeks to get full effects of an antidepressant, so I'd give it a but longer but schedule in a review with your GP.
I started citalopram in August 2022 and it did help my anxiety, but the big difference came when I started hrt at the end of 2022. Anxiety is common in peri and menopause and you may well need hormones to help.

Dawn3129

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 07:56:12 AM »

I'm on hrt gel and tablets. I was on sertraline till January and tapered off then started hrt. By August I was in a constant state of panic. Rang my Dr from holiday - that's how bad it was and he recommended duloxetine and I started straight away. I just feel hopeless

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »

Have any other meno symptoms been creeping back in? If they have you may need to increase oestrogen. I've had to increase twice because of returning anxiety but mine was a symptom, I didn't have it before peri.

Dawn3129

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 08:09:05 AM »

No none, I had one increase because my brain fog and flushes were bad and it sorted it out.
I think I've always struggled with bad anxiety but add menopause and its a whole other level.
I have never ever felt suicidal in my life but 3 weeks on duloxetine I woke one morning and I felt so bad I just said to my husband that there was no point being here if I felt like this. So contrary to how I live, my son passed away 6 years ago and I know how precious life is so it was very out of character. I just want to feel better x

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 11:20:06 AM »

Hello Dawn
do you keep a note of your symptoms to see is they follow a pattern? Are you post memoir perimenopause? I only ask as peri can cause pms symptoms to worsen on the run up to a period. I always had pms but it went off the scale a few months ago and by using a track of dates I realised it was cyclical. I went into a very dark place, begging my husband to make it stop, suicidal thoughts. It took some time but for me I upped the hrt, added in a low dose AD and it has helped greatly. I am sorry it is so hard for you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 11:23:27 AM »

duloxetine - used for several different 'disorders' -

perhaps a dedicated anti-anxiety medication would suit you, I used 'drug' name has gone  >:(.  Oh "valium" 5mg twice a day under supervision then as necessary: usually B4 an event that I was un able to get out of.  Never required a top up the next day.  Now I have a dedicated go to medication if panic attacks strike.

Propranolol worked for me too, prescribed in 2002 for many years oh I've said already [meno brain sorry]

Dawn3129

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 11:40:51 AM »

I'm peri. Still getting a period, I think slightly worse when I come off my progesterone tablets. Not wanting to live because of the way you feel sounds extreme but it's reality for lots of us.
I'm on the highest dose hrt and 5 weeks on duloxetine  - my Dr is great but when I saw him Friday I was begging him for something else, he said I need to give it time at least 8 weeks but he did up my dose from 30mg to 60mg.
I don't know whether I'm just wishing it over abd need to ge more patient or need something else. This place has given me hope because everyone is so supportive thank youx

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »

Dose increases can also make you feel worse before better. I have tried and failed increasing my citalopram from 10mg to 20mg. It is double the dose, perhaps that is why things aren't improving yet. When I looked on forums re citalopram, people were saying that sometimes the increase took them back to square one with side effects. I know with citalopram I lasted 5 days on the higher dose and I was so beside myself with anxiety that I couldn't continue. I increased the estrogel instead and that was an easier transition. If you are on highest dose of estrogen though, perhaps you could ask for a referral to a dedicated memopause clinic so they can explore other options with you.

Also, I find the progrsterone stage (am on utrogestan), particularly when  I am coming off it, horrendous. Read its something to do with progrsteone increasing GABA and withdrawal then causing a sudden drop. I now use a supplement at that time called Biocare Calm Complex and it has helped with some aspects. Perhaps look at other natural ways of raising GABA and see if that helps. Some anti depressants also work on GABA levels, mine doesn't but perhaps yours does.

I hope you feel better soon. The psychological impact of peri has been by far the worst symptom I've had to deal with, so I know how you are feeling and I really sympathise.

Dawn3129

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 12:24:37 PM »

I think as women a lot of us don't want to admit we're struggling with anxiety and I for one never knew about peri or menopause so it's been like getting run over.
I've never quite had anxiety like this. There is no dedicated menopause nurse or clinic in my area but I will Askam my next appointment x