Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: thoughts about estrogen dose? 3 or 4 pumps?  (Read 432 times)

joziel

thoughts about estrogen dose? 3 or 4 pumps?
« on: September 20, 2023, 11:23:45 AM »

I'm trying to figure out if I should go back down to 3 pumps of estrogen. Here's the situation...

I've recently (3 weeks ago) increased my estrogen from 3 pumps to 4. This was at the start of my last cycle. (I'm 45yo and in peri.)

On day 21 of this cycle, whilst still taking my utrogestan, I've started breakthrough bleeding. (I take it day 15-26 and usually bleed day 28, so have a 28 day cycle.) I've had 'perfect' and predictable bleeding before now, with it only happening when I've stopped the utrogestan.

But I know it's normal to get breakthrough bleeding after increasing an estrogen dose, for the first few months. So should I just see how it goes? Or is this an indication the estrogen dose is too high? I was fine at 3 pumps, this didn't happen on the increase from 2-3. I have a history of endo so I'm always a little nervous about increasing estrogen - but I haven't had any endo pains back.... I am taking extra utrogestan (3x capsules orally, sequentially).

It's all a bit complicated because the reason for trying the estrogen increase is that I've been having horrible insomnia and nighttime symptoms which I am 80% sure are due to my thyroid, but fluctuating or low estrogen can also cause these symptoms. There has been a huge improvement since I started a low dose of T3 - but I have also been increasing my estrogen over this time, so now I don't know what is causing what  ::) ::) although it's good that things are getting better!!

But I am supposed to come off the T3 in a few weeks - if I also reduce my estrogen back to 3 pumps, again I'm not going to know what has caused any worsening of symptoms (if that happens!). Arrrggg.....  What should I do? I have private thyroid and meno (Newson) doctors but sometimes feel a bit caught between the two...

Bandango42

Re: thoughts about estrogen dose? 3 or 4 pumps?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 01:25:29 PM »

Hi joziel

I have no advice really except to say I also increased my oestrogen about 4-5 weeks ago due to a return of a few symptoms. I have been bleeding almost continously since increasing so have now dropped back down to a 75mg patch from 100mg as I'm just so fed up of the constant bleeding. Like you, I also had perfect cycles and didn't have any bleeding before when increasing patches, it's just been this time.

Anyway, sorry I can't advise, just wanted to say you're not alone and I think increased bleeding with high oestrogen doses is fairly normal. Yours might settle down hopefully, I just couldn't put up with it any longer. Still bleeding even after the drop ☹️ xx

joziel

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 02:13:16 PM »

Oh that's a bit rubbish. How soon after increasing did your bleeding start? And how many days did you persevere with bleeding before dropping back? I was okay until day 21 of the increase...  ???

I'm now not sure what's happening with my cycle. I'm still taking the utrogestan until day 26 but when I stop it, am I then going to get a normal period (at the moment I have a much slower bleed)?! Or is this my period which has come early? V confusing...  :-\  I will have to figure out how to get back on track, it was all working so well and I had the utrogestan synced with my own cycle perfectly...

I mean, I can't stop utrogestan early or I won't be taking it long enough. So this can't be day 1....  :o  But if I don't get a proper period when I do stop it next week, I'm not sure what to do...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:47:11 PM by joziel »

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 03:48:05 PM »

I've ended up just as confused as you!! I'm really miffed tbh, like you I had synced the utro with my cycle perfectly, I had fairly light short withdrawal bleeds and no mid cycle spotting.

I started bleeding about a week after I put a new 100 patch on, bled non stop for 2 weeks, had a week of very light spotting, then a full 8 days of withdrawal bleeding after utro. Had a week of hardly any bleeding apart from full blown red tsunami after sex once, then started bleeding AGAIN on Monday of this week (which was day 1 of utro for this month). At which point I thought enough is enough, I can't cope with this so put a 75 patch back on on Monday afternoon. Still bleeding heavy, with cramps today ☹️

So, absolutely no idea what's happened to my cycle. No idea if this is a period or what but I'm hoping the bleeding settles soon so I can get back on track xx