Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and worried  (Read 2190 times)

dunant173

• First Flush
New and worried
« on: September 20, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »

Hi all
It's nice to have found this website as I am in a bit of a bewildering phase with my menopause.

I've been on sequential HRT for just over two years and while I have been on it I only had a tiny bit of spotting in the first 6 months or so. Then in July I was very fatigued and bloods showed that my oestrogen levels were very low, so I was increased from 75mg to 100mg (patch). And of course the 12 days of progesterone.

Last week I had a period - which came out of the blue. Usual symptoms - cramps, PMS, headaches, bloating. I informed the GP who said I had been on the wrong HRT since I've not had a period for 20 months; she said I should have been on continuous progesterone. She referred me on the 2 week scan pathway, saying it was probably nothing but hormonal imbalance, and I had scans done yesterday, one of which showed a thickening of the endometrial lining (7.8mm). I now have to be referred for a hysteroscopy under the urgent route and I am, quite honestly, terrified. My GP was trying to reassure me, saying that I probably bled due to the increase of oestrogen and being on the incorrect type of HRT, but I can't help worrying about the possibility of cancer.

Has anyone else had this? I feel like I am going out of my mind with worry. She warned me the procedure is not nice and is painful, which doesn't help either!

Thank you

Flossieteacake

Re: New and worried
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 01:21:43 PM »

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear what you have been through. I do not have any advice but I just wanted to welcome you. Do not worry as somebody will be along with advice soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 03:03:32 PM »

Don't worry about cancer. 

MayB there are different types of HRT depending upon whether 1 still has womb and ovaries to what should be prescribed for those who have undergone hystertecomy, hopefully some1 will be along with more advice.

Perhaps put the product names that you were prescribed into the search box: separately.  Make notes on any threads that pop up.  Then the same for the current regime?

7.8mm isn't particularly bothersome though most medics want to keep it to about 5mm.  Having the hysteroscopy will give U a base line measurement for any future scans. 

When did you last have a 'natural' period?

dunant173

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 08:00:13 PM »

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. :-)

I have decided to stop HRT, definitely at least for the time being. I just cannot cope with any possibility of increased risk.

I am not sure what was the date of my last natural period, either! They were always very irregular and it's all gone in a bit of a blur.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 10:06:15 PM »

Hi Dunant173

Welcome, and I'm sorry you are going through this. I have recently gone through something similar and posted a thread asking for help and advice, and a couple of ladies said they had similar and when they got their hysteroscopy results all was clear and there was no reason why their womb lining was thick.

With me, my lining was 7mm so was referred for an hysteroscopy. I don't take hrt. My thickening (and possible spotting) was due to a polyp.

Yes the procedure is painful, on and off, but I've had it done twice and would have it done again if needed. I got through it and the ladies are lovely who look after you.

Take painkillers before, which they advice.

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 07:13:53 AM »

Hi

I had similar - 9 yrs post meno, started HRT and ten mths later started bleeding. GP referred me on 2wk pathway. She explained probably nothing to worry about but that all post-meno bleeding needs urgent investigation.  My scan showed slightly thickened lining so hysteroscopy and biopsy was arranged and carried out within about a week.

The procedure wasn't as bad as I feared, a bit uncomfortable and nippy in places but was quickly over. At the suggestion of the hospital gynae I had a Mirena coil fitted as she advised that the Utrogestan I was taking wasn't enough to stop the lining thickening. My biopsy came back clear.

The coil caused spotting, on and off, for 6mths (in my head I had this as the thickened lining being shed) but then settled down.

It's pointless telling you not to worry, you will anyway! But every case of post menopausal bleeding is, rightly, investigated. Try to stay positive about it.

dunant173

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 11:07:54 AM »

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I found out today that my oestrogen levels, despite being on the highest dose on patches, is terribly low (37!) so am not sure if that can have caused the thickening. I will have to see what the gynaes say.

I am glad to hear that the procedure is quick - if painful. I guess I will have to grin and bear it.

Glad to hear you were both OK too!