Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 2672 times)

Helsybob

• First Flush
Anxiety
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »

Hi I need help with something I started on hrt patches 4 weeks ago and some of my menopause symptoms are starting to subside my doc wants me to be on them for 3 months to see how it goes what I'm really worried about is I'm having really bad anxiety and panic attacks doc said the patches will help but it's really bad and I feel quite scared does anyone have any tips to help me thanks

Flossieteacake

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:38:17 PM »

Anxiety is such a horrible feeling and I am sorry to hear how anxious you are feeling.

HRT can help with hormonal related anxiety but it can take a few months to help. I think your DRs idea of trying it for three months is a good one because it can take three months before you will know if it is suitable.

Would it help to try something such as Diazepam to take on the days you are struggling?

Some people find meditation apps helpful.

It is very encouraging some of your meno symptoms have already improved.

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 07:13:18 AM »

Hi Helsybob.  Have you tried the rescue remedy range. Not a cure but it certainly helps.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 07:20:53 AM »

Have you had the anxiety / panic attacks for awhile? I wonder if it would be helpful to get referred for cbt to work alongside the hrt. While hrt helps, it doesn't always completely address this symptom and it may be useful to have a toolkit of things you can use.

I also agree it would be a good idea to have something short term you can take for acute situations to help take the edge off. Diazepam is good although doctors don't like to prescribe much of it, or a beta blocker like propanalol to help get rid of the physical symptoms of anxiety by lowering your heart rate. I'd go back and have a further chat with your GP and say you need some additional help to tide you over until the hrt fully kicks in.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »

Your doctor is right imo. My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, both cured after 3 months on HRT. Not much change for the first month then very up and down, it wasn't until month 4 that I was consistently good. Have you seen any improvement at all? If you have take it as a positive. I didn't have anxiety til peri and if course there are many other non meno causes but if yours came with peri there's a good chance hrt will resolve it.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 01:09:16 PM »

CBT therapy has about a 12 week waiting list on the NHS so you'll probably be ok by then if the HRT works. You can download help videos, ask your doctor to send the link, I did and they did help a bit.

J butler

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 03:14:32 PM »

I am post menoupause  and anxiety  is the worst I'm on no hrt ,my choice ,I was on citalopram  but after a year it stopped  working  im now on sertraline 100mg and propranolol for the panic attacks you could always try an antidepressant  along side the hrt ,its the worst feeling  I agree

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »

I used Propranolol successfully for several years.  Initially at 80mg 3 times a day for 4 weeks followed by 40mg twice then to 40mg at night.  Due to background morning headaches after 5 years I cut it to 20mg at night.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:26:05 PM by CLKD »

Dawn3129

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 02:40:41 PM »

I'm 46 on hrt and 5 weeks in to duloxetine and still have crippling anxiety. Dr wants me to wait till at least 8 weeks to switch meds.
I often feel alone and just dead inside but realise there is a community.
Anyone have any luck on meds?  :(

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 04:26:54 PM »

Hi! what R your periods up to?  Is the anxiety worse in the mornings, is there a cynical pattern ........ 8 weeks is a bit long if anxiety is problematic. 

duloxetine - used for several different 'disorders' - perhaps a dedicated anti-anxiety medication would suit you, I used 'drug' name has gone  >:(.  Oh "valium" 5mg twice a day under supervision then as necessary: usually B4 an event that I was un able to get out of.  Never required a top up the next day.  Now I have a dedicated go to medication if panic attacks strike.

Propranolol worked for me too, prescribed in 2002 for many years oh I've said already [meno brain sorry]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:29:34 PM by CLKD »

Dawn3129

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 05:26:13 PM »

No apology needed my brain is the same. I'm marching on till the 14th of October and my review, his back up then is venlafaxine. I just wish I felt more trusting of the Dr's I'm not sure they care! I was asking the nurse meno questions and she said she didn't know??? Wtf
Periods are basically regular.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 05:34:19 PM by Dawn3129 »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 05:49:12 PM »

Many medics have no idea about peri/menopause  >:( so aren't prepared for our queries and symptoms.

Let us know how you get on. 

Dawn3129

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 06:29:39 PM »

I will. Hoping in the next few days or week things change and I feel hopeful again x