Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Feeling low  (Read 970 times)

Lavender1983

Feeling low
« on: September 20, 2023, 06:09:32 AM »

Hi all. I have posted a few times on here about peri meno at 40.

After several months of GP apts,private and nhs,several investigations etc.It has finally been decided that my symptoms are peri meno as no other cause can be found.

As I posted before, the private GP told me to up cardio exercise,change to a med diet and take supplements.Over the last 6 weeks I have done this and yes ive lost a bit of weight and I feel healthier but the symptoms are just so frequent and I feel competely defeated.

Im having cycles closer together, heavy bleeds, hot flushes some days,headache and nausea.Its like constant pms and also achey hips.I really put 100% into changing to a super healthier life style even though I wasnt unhealthy before but it is not cutting it with reducing symptoms.Yesterday I was supposed to go running and the thought of it just made me upset, I lay on sofa most of the day.

My next point is re HRT......so they are reluctant to give it to me as my mum had breast cancer at 37.I asked GP again last week and she asked about what gene type was my mums cancer.My mum didnt know and her gp didnt either so she spoke to the breast unit at hosp.They said she would need bloods to find out and they would need to be done at another hosp which is over an hour away.She would also need to apply for the tests and it will be decided if she can have them as it is not routine.It all sounded a bit long winded to us?!anyone experienced?surely this isnt an unusual situation.

Sorry for the long rant x

Flossieteacake

Re: Feeling low
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 09:00:36 AM »

I remember when you saw the private consultant and they suggested you exercise. I felt they were really unsupportive at the time.

I would ask the GP to consult with an NHS menopause clinic as I feel they will have more experience and advice. To me, it sounds like HRT could really help your symptoms.

You have nothing to apologise for. You are struggling and we all want to support you.

Lavender1983

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 09:14:38 AM »

I remember when you saw the private consultant and they suggested you exercise. I felt they were really unsupportive at the time.

I would ask the GP to consult with an NHS menopause clinic as I feel they will have more experience and advice. To me, it sounds like HRT could really help your symptoms.

You have nothing to apologise for. You are struggling and we all want to support you.

Thankyou, yeah I was trying to be positive about it when I was told to exercise and it would help.
I have more energy I guess but the symptoms are all there and still have an impact on my daily life.
I feel like my kids and husband just think I moan all the time as it is rare that I feel good at the moment!

I am emailing the gp to ask about what my mum was told.I will ask about an nhs clinic.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 09:19:40 AM »

Your Mum doesn't need to go through these investigations, if her diagnosis was cancer there should be records at the Hospital where she had her treatment.

Regardless: these are your symptoms and depending on what you would like to ease first, appropriate HRT can be prescribed.  Replacement ;-).  There are trains of thought that even if a lady has undergone cancer treatment, that HRT is helpful - after all, if HRT is so dangerous to women with breasts, why aren't we all advised to have double mastectomy ?  Many will require HRT, with or without previous diagnosis.

I would go for it!  This is your body and your GP is hedging. 

Lavender1983

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 09:25:45 AM »

Your Mum doesn't need to go through these investigations, if her diagnosis was cancer there should be records at the Hospital where she had her treatment.

Regardless: these are your symptoms and depending on what you would like to ease first, appropriate HRT can be prescribed.  Replacement ;-).  There are trains of thought that even if a lady has undergone cancer treatment, that HRT is helpful - after all, if HRT is so dangerous to women with breasts, why aren't we all advised to have double mastectomy ?  Many will require HRT, with or without previous diagnosis.

We thought it was odd too about my mum,it was definetely gene type she wanted to know.My mum did call the hospital with her notes but they said they didnt have that info.We were just confused.

I dont really know anything about HRT but I will read up.I didnt really question what I was told as I didnt know any different.

I

Lavender1983

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 09:27:17 AM »

And yes it was def cancer, she had chemo and radio therapy

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 09:39:00 AM »

It will depend on which type of cancer, whether it's oestrogen triggered as mine was in the 1990s.  However, if I needed HRT I would push hard to ease any symptoms.  Let us know how you get on.  Although they are trying to find out from your Mum, what if you were adopted so didn't know your medical background? 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Feeling low - is it related to your cycle at all?  How is your diet?  Eating little and often helps me most days .  As does chocolate ;-).

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 09:43:56 AM »

You cannot help not feeling well though. I do not know if you have seen this but perhaps if your family read this they may understand a little more of what you are going through.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2458.0.html

Lavender1983

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 09:54:54 AM »

It will depend on which type of cancer, whether it's oestrogen triggered as mine was in the 1990s.  However, if I needed HRT I would push hard to ease any symptoms.  Let us know how you get on.  Although they are trying to find out from your Mum, what if you were adopted so didn't know your medical background? 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Feeling low - is it related to your cycle at all?  How is your diet?  Eating little and often helps me most days .  As does chocolate ;-).

The worst symptoms seem to be second half of cycle.But sometimes I have a short cycle (17 days shortest)so its almost like I stop bleeding and it all starts again.Last month it was 25 days so a bit better.
My diet is mainly mediterananean and more plant based on advice from Dr.Ive cut out most processed foods and sugar.The only sugar I have is if I make it myself.But I crave sugar loads! Thats why im disheartened as I cant change my diet any more!Little and often I might try.

I think im v sensitive to hormome changes, in pregancies i had constant nausea too!

Lavender1983

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 10:00:55 AM »

You cannot help not feeling well though. I do not know if you have seen this but perhaps if your family read this they may understand a little more of what you are going through.

Yes I showed my husband this a while ago.At the time he took it on board but I think he forgets.He rarely gets ill and doesnt get it at all.
With all this going on my sex drive is zero too which doesnt help.
During all these Drs apts I kept getting anxious I had something awful wrong too as I was told for so long that Im too young.He didnt understand that either,its a bit disheartening.
I know he cares in his own way but it would be nice to feel it sometimes!!
But thankyou, I think I will show him again.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 10:34:22 AM »

Yes I showed my husband this a while ago.At the time he took it on board but I think he forgets.He rarely gets ill and doesnt get it at all.
With all this going on my sex drive is zero too which doesnt help.
During all these Drs apts I kept getting anxious I had something awful wrong too as I was told for so long that Im too young.He didnt understand that either,its a bit disheartening.
I know he cares in his own way but it would be nice to feel it sometimes!!
But thankyou, I think I will show him again.

It is scary to have symptoms and not know why. Being told you are too young to be in peri just adds to the worry so I understand why you were feeling anxious.

If only GPs were more educated in this. It would help us have a better experience. Fighting to be believed and then having to fight for HRT makes it all the more stressful.

Bella247

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 08:51:58 PM »

I don’t really have any practical advice because I’m just starting out on this perimenopause journey but I want you to know that you’re not alone and send you solidarity. It’s really horrible and it does make you feel so sad. That private GP sounds like an idiot x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 09:27:44 AM »

:welcomemm: Bella247

Many GPs and other medics simply have little knowledge about peri, telling a woman that she is too young is WRONG  :bang:.   The words shouldn't enter into the consultation.

How R U this morning Lavender