Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Muscle Twitching?  (Read 1594 times)

HBetty

• First Flush
Muscle Twitching?
« on: September 18, 2023, 12:22:10 PM »

Hello

Newbie here.

I have been wondering if anyone else has experienced muscle twitching as part of perimenopause?

It's been going on for around 9 months, widespread twitching in various muscles: face, legs, back, abdomen. It is driving me mad! Have seen GP, not overly concerned with normal neuro exam and bloods.

I have tried Magnesium supplements with no real improvement.

Now wondering if this could be hormonal and perimenopause? I'm 40,  periods a little irregular now but no drastic change. Also noting occasional heart palpitations, fatigue and significant more premenstrual mood change which has luckily never been an issue too much before.

Just wondering if anyone might have experienced similar or had any advice?

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Muscle Twitching?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »

Morning.  Hormonal upheaval can cause all kinds of weird feelings.  I found that a banana daily cured my restless legs.  As will 'nurofen' if the legs are bothersome at night.

Peri-menopause: those years when we notice symptoms that may/not be connected to hormones can creep up!  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Is there a symptom that you would like to ease?

Browse round.   :welcomemm:  ask away ..........

HBetty

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 04:24:28 PM »

Thank you for replying. I guess it's reassuring others get this too, although it's such a weird symptom. Have you found anything that helped?  I have thought about trying to track it for any pattern, but I think it's also the sort of thing that benefits from not trying to focus on it too much, but it is difficult to ignore! 

Feebs

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 10:41:29 AM »

I started with this around the beginning of peri approximately 5 years ago, it was virtually non stop then but comes and goes now. I recently found out that my ferritin was very low at that time, and my gp didn’t bother to tell me this, the level is better now but not by much so I have just started supplementing with feroglobin to see if this improves this and other symptoms and tweaked my HRT. Might be worth some blood tests

HBetty

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 03:52:37 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Think I'll have a closer look at my previous blood results and go from there. I hope the feroglobin and hrt tweak work for you!

Shorty Pants

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 03:59:04 PM »

I started with this around the beginning of peri approximately 5 years ago, it was virtually non stop then but comes and goes now. I recently found out that my ferritin was very low at that time, and my gp didn’t bother to tell me this, the level is better now but not by much so I have just started supplementing with feroglobin to see if this improves this and other symptoms and tweaked my HRT. Might be worth some blood tests

I had this issue too Feebs and also had undiagnosed low ferritin.  I had twitches in my face mainly, but this did go when I upped my iron intake.

Feebs

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 08:12:59 AM »

It’s really frustrating-I really think these low levels that doctors may consider ‘borderline’ have implications that contribute to our symptoms, but they are rarely highlighted. Glad this worked for you Shorty Pants  :)

Bella247

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 10:16:45 PM »

I kept getting recurrent episodes of muscle twitching in my face. It drove me mad and I was so anxious about it. I saw a consultant because I have an unrelated condition and told her I was worried. She reassured me and said it was likely due to low vitamin D and that I should take an extra strong dose. The one I’m taking is called vitabiotics ultra (twice the strength of their standard one) and within a few days it stopped. Might be worth trying.

tambourine queen

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 10:21:10 AM »

I have twitchy lips which started in Jan 2022. Still going! Still not died of anything. ;) Doctor wasnt' overly worried about it and said it could be anxiety, peri or just a random thing! Its stopped bothering me with time but i was freaked out when it first appeared.

Bella247

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 08:37:48 PM »

Yeah it’s really horrible esp in this google age. I think it’s quite possible when the dr assured me it wasn’t anything serious I relaxed and it went away. It’s very hard to think about anything else when you’re going through it.

CherryC

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 10:31:53 AM »

H Bella247 - good to hear that Vid D helped with your muscle twitching.  Could I ask what strength you are taking as the Vitabiotics Ultra covers a wide variation of strengths from 1000 IU up to 4000 IU. Thanks x

Bella247

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 07:12:15 PM »

Hi, I take the 2000 iu one. I didn’t actually know there was a stronger one but it worked within days and I’d had this twitching on and off for months and months. It was making me so anxious which possibly made it worse.
I think there’s no harm in taking it. At the very least I’m certain I get less colds now I take it.

CherryC

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 06:26:58 AM »

Thank you for your reply Bella247, that is great to know and I hope it continues to keep it at bay for you.  I am going to give that a try too!

Bella247

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2023, 06:26:29 PM »

You’re very welcome. I really hope it works for you because I remember how much it drove me crazy! Xx