Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT due to surgery  (Read 455 times)

Joni

Stopping HRT due to surgery
« on: September 19, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »

Hi, I’m 64 and about 5 years post meno. I’ve been on HRT since I was 51 as hot flushes, mood swings, and not sleeping were unbearable. I had major surgery on my neck 2weeks ago and had to stop HRT 4 weeks prior to the op. I was dreading the symptoms returning even worse but thankfully, only the hot flushes so far have returned. Has anyone else been through this type of situation?

Also, which board is best to chat about my recent operation? It was a corpectomy (an op replacing C4 and C5 with a titanium cage)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stopping HRT due to surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 06:46:48 PM »

OUCH! 

I think you'll do OK here, if the moderator - Emma - thinks this would get more responses, she will move it.

What was the reason given for you to have to stop HRT?  Because there are a few similar recent threads with ladies being given conflicting advice.  One worry is that with Drs etc. are on strike: again : that surgical intervention will be cancelled/postponed and people have stopped medication. 

:welcomemm:  browse round. 

joziel

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 11:14:19 AM »

If you're on transdermal estrogen, there's no need to stop before surgery. If you're on oral estrogen then you have to stop because of the increased risk of a blood clot. Transdermal estrogen carries no increased risk so is fine to continue....

Joni

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 06:34:58 PM »

Thanks for replying CLKD and joziel, I was on Tibilone tablets and had to stop to reduce risk of clots. I also had to stop all vitamin supplements for the same reason. I can restart all again 2 weeks after op (today!)

Sorry taking so long to reply, I’ve had a low day and went shopping with DH. It tired me out after hardly moving for 2 weeks. The hard neck collar/brace I need to wear for 6 weeks has been cutting into my collarbone  :'( so 2 red sore patches adding to my ailments. Sitting now with pjs on and no collar. I wish I’d had my hair cut before I went in, but that’s something to look forward to in 6 weeks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 06:37:23 PM »

I fancied a duvet day when I saw the torrential rain  ::)

Get those feet up, cuppa to. hand !