Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amount of ovestin  (Read 1226 times)

Jules

Amount of ovestin
« on: September 16, 2023, 09:33:27 AM »

I've asked this before but I'm still unsure. I'm using ovestin nightly externally.  I've no idea how much is safe. My GP says a smudge on my fingertip but I can't even cover what I need with that much.  I also use vagifem every other night

Flossieteacake

Re: Amount of ovestin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 09:36:17 AM »

I've asked this before but I'm still unsure. I'm using ovestin nightly externally.  I've no idea how much is safe. My GP says a smudge on my fingertip but I can't even cover what I need with that much.  I also use vagifem every other night

I fill up the applicator to insert it and then use a pea sized amount for the outer area mixed with some Yes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »

Exactly Flossieteacake.  It is very safe or it wouldn't be prescribed.  I had breast disease in the 1990s and my GP never hesitated in suggesting it.  To keep symptoms under control, use as much and as often as is necessary. 

I've had ovestin for several years, into the vagina with the applicator, squeeze and withdraw.  Wash applicator.  When necessary either a little smeared around the vulva or KY jelly there. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:02:34 PM by CLKD »

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »

I use Ovestin every night externally and use enough to cover the end of my finger tip about a centimetre in diameter. A tube normally last about 3 weeks. I also use Vagifem every night.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »

Okay thanks everyone. I will continue and try to measure better then I know rather than the smudges the doctor mentioned

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »

Once the area becomes comfortable the amount can be reduced.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 08:06:40 AM »

Once the area becomes comfortable the amount can be reduced.

I will. I'm trying to improve the atrophy too since my GP said I had fusing. I'm wasting away down there😏

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 08:15:15 AM »

A dose in the mornings and another in the evenings, I often need to add a dose mid-afternoon when symptoms niggle.  As well as pain relief 3 times a day to relax the muscles.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »

A dose in the mornings and another in the evenings, I often need to add a dose mid-afternoon when symptoms niggle.  As well as pain relief 3 times a day to relax the muscles.

I don't have discomfort luckily but i know there's been changes down there so want to get on top of that.

Rumbaba

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 05:25:24 PM »

How can you use it in the day? Doesn't it just get rubbed off by your underwear?

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 05:52:08 PM »

If Ovestin has been inserted during the day it must stand a good chance of obeying gravity (i.e. running out) during normal, upright, daytime activities.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »

Nope - that's why I recommend an intermittent mid-day insertion when symptoms aren't helped by nightly applications.  Insert, lay down for 10 mins, then I get on with Life.   Plus a pain relief medication to ease that nip as the urine flow shuts off.   The vagina soaks up the product so I never have any problems with gravity ;-)

Jules

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »

How can you use it in the day? Doesn't it just get rubbed off by your underwear?
I don't insert it. I use it externally at night.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 08:58:27 AM »

I don't insert it. I use it externally at night.

Are you inserting any localised oestrogen at all?

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2023, 07:37:03 PM »

I think using ovestin internally is essential for atrophy. 
Pages: [1] 2