Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hormone levels  (Read 740 times)

Inky

Hormone levels
« on: September 14, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »

Hi
I am experiencing sudden significant hair loss and wondered what the cause might be - so I had thyroid and oestrogen levels tested and these are the results:

Thyroid function test
Serum TSH level 1.71 mu/L [0.35 - 4.94]
Serum free T4 level 11.9 pmol/L [9.0 - 19.1]

Oestradiol
Serum oestradiol level 542 pmol/L

FSH
Serum follicle stimulating hormone level 40.7 iu/L; FSHCOM

Can anyone tell me if the levels are low/high/normal?
The results say my levels are normal - but some of the ranges are really wide so it is hard to know whether my level may be causing the hair loss. I am on 75mcg Estradot patch twice weekly  and 100mg Utrogestan daily.

TIA
x

Bungo

Re: Hormone levels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »

What is your serum ferritin level? Mine is about 25 , and from googling it's not optimal for hair growth. Must go back to my GP to see about taking iron supplements ( or maybe I'll take supplements for 3 months and see if hair responds) and then retest ferritin and see if has made any difference. Curious if your ferritin is also low. This seems to be very common with menopause so am also looking for the answer!

Inky

Re: Hormone levels
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »

I didnt get my ferritin levels tested - just thyroid and oestrogen levels. I would not want to take iron tablets because they cause constipation and that is already a struggle for me - I think Utro doesn't help in this respect either. I do take collagen which is supposed to help with hair growth. My nails are fine, skin ok - just hair falling out and itchy scalp...although perhaps a slight improvement since I have switched to Estradot from Evorel...